Game 12- Radford

clarkwgriswold

The Radford Highlanders (there’s an intimidating team name) come into the JAR to face the Zips Monday night.  The Highlanders are 4-7 heading into a contest this Saturday against Davidson.  Quite remarkably, they have no one averaging double digits in points, with 6-7 junior forward Rashum Williams leading scoring at 8.8 ppg.  He is also second on the team in rebounding at 5.3 rpg.  They were projected to finish 4th in the Big South North Division (I didn’t make that up).   

I have two tickets for this one for anyone that wants them.  Shoot me a PM if interested.

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I was surprised to learn that Radford is a division 1 school.  They are from Virginia and I have no idea why they are on our schedule.  Have we played them before?

Yes, we're 3-0 all-time against them. The last time we played them was 2016. I vaguely remember them. Not the game itself, but them being on our schedule.

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

i hope none of our guys have serious symptoms.  Priorities.  Get healthy, fellas!

On a side note, this is going to hurt as we were really starting to play well.  We're going to go into conference play rusty.

But, ... priorities.  Get healthy guys.

Kent lost a game because of CSU issues.    Some of the Zips aren't vaccinated.  They are risking their own health and the season for their teammates.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs down 1

Let’s try not to start pitting the vaxed players against their teammates. Vaccinated people are testing positive and spreading it as well. Nearly the whole NFL is vaccinated and it’s not making a difference for spread. And I’m fully vaxed and definitely think it helps prevent severe infection. 

Edited by pdt1420
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pdt1420 said:

Let’s try not to start pitting the vaxed players against their teammates. Vaccinated people are testing positive and spreading it as well. Nearly the whole NFL is vaccinated and it’s not making a difference for spread. And I’m fully vaxed and definitely think it helps prevent severe infection. 

Well if someone is unvaccinated and gets seriously ill and is out of commission that will affect a team more than someone who has mild or no symptoms and come back and play.

I don't know all of the Covid protocols and maybe this is too aggressive, but it would be nice if the Zips could play Radford on Monday, Dec. 27th. That way both teams could get back into shape before the conference kickoff on the 29th. Radford's schedule mirrors ours in that they are open to play until the 29th also.

Edited by Illini Zip

Playing Radford is really nothing more than an opportunity for floor minutes beyond practice.  It's not a great loss.  Beating an inferior OOC opponent won't impress anyone and losing to them would do damage to the program's reputation.  Even without Covid it might benefit them just as much to get heathy and well rested for the MAC season.  I suspect it will take until the middle of February for this wave to end so maybe it's best if it goes through the team now.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Playing Radford is really nothing more than an opportunity for floor minutes beyond practice.  It's not a great loss.  Beating an inferior OOC opponent won't impress anyone and losing to them would do damage to the program's reputation.  Even without Covid it might benefit them just as much to get heathy and well rested for the MAC season.  I suspect it will take until the middle of February for this wave to end so maybe it's best if it goes through the team now.

But, but, but, but....what about Zip withdrawals? I'm already getting the shakes. I can barely type.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

But, but, but, but....what about Zip withdrawals? I'm already getting the shakes. I can barely type.

I realize I was going to be one of the 300 there, but it's going to be a rough couple weeks.  Agree with Clark that this was basically a practice session.  Get Aziz some more minutes, etc.  

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I realize I was going to be one of the 300 there, but it's going to be a rough couple weeks.  Agree with Clark that this was basically a practice session.  Get Aziz some more minutes, etc.  

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

As was I

tenor-122880310.gif.80a81dc248d72b72ef4eb1908b6d24c5.gif

You guys forgot the new Zips math.   300= 1529 (see Florida A & M).