Game 12- Radford

clarkwgriswold

I'm looking at Radford's schedule and wondering what justifies the view of them essentially being a scrimmimmage (to quote Benchwarmers) like Point Park. Their schedule blows ours out of the water. Sure their record isn't great (2-7 against DI teams), but we're 5-3 against DI teams with double-digit losses to App State and Fordham. They have respectable losses to WVU and James Madison, while also playing against UVA and VaTech. I would have loved for this game to take place. 

image.png.07cd3ac2a087f0e711d484c885468f85.png

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm looking at Radford's schedule and wondering what justifies the view of them essentially being a scrimmimmage (to quote Benchwarmers) like Point Park. Their schedule blows ours out of the water. Sure their record isn't great (2-7 against DI teams), but we're 5-3 against DI teams with double-digit losses to App State and Fordham. They have respectable losses to WVU and James Madison, while also playing against UVA and VaTech. I would have loved for this game to take place. 

image.png.07cd3ac2a087f0e711d484c885468f85.png

scoring only 33 points against Navy?  9 point win over Kentucky Christian?

But i think we are trying to put a positive (no pun intended) spin on the situation

15 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

But i think we are trying to put a positive (no pun intended) spin on the situation

Losing by 20 and 12 to Fordham and App State respectively? Marshall is our only respectable win. We don't have a right to look down upon any DI opponent (except PCCC). 

There isn't a positive spin to put on this in my opinion. I'm tired of COVID, and I'd love to play another DI opponent before going into MAC play, especially with our next game being BUGS on the 29th. That will be 2 weeks since we've played a game.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Losing by 20 and 12 to Fordham and App State respectively? Marshall is our only respectable win. We don't have a right to look down upon any DI opponent (except PCCC). 

There isn't a positive spin to put on this in my opinion. I'm tired of COVID, and I'd love to play another DI opponent before going into MAC play, especially with our next game being BUGS on the 29th. That will be 2 weeks since we've played a game.

And that's another way to look at the situation.  Effing sucks.  100%.  And no reason to believe this isn't going to keep happening with all the MAC teams.

28 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

And that's another way to look at the situation.  Effing sucks.  100%.  And no reason to believe this isn't going to keep happening with all the MAC teams.

Yep.  This has the distinct feel of March 2020 all over again.  Read recently that Cuyahoga County is the worst county in the country for new cases per 100k.  I don't see how the Cavs avoid this, and I don't see how other teams across the country avoid this as we make our way through winter.  

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I agree Radford would have been a game the Zips should have won but I also think they were more than a practice or scrimmage. Looking at our schedule I would believe they would be the second best non-conference team to visit the JAR this season. They seem to be streaky and capable of playing well although they do not do so consistently. I guess I see them as less of a cupcake than Southern or Florida A&M and the Rattlers were a little closer to the Zips than I was comfortable with.

Radford was in the NCAA tournament in 2018 and even won a game in it (although it was in the First Four in Dayton). The Highlanders are also the currently reigning back to back Big South Conference champions... yes, it is a weaker league but the last couple seasons they are it’s premier program.

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Fordham and App State are better than you think they are. Both would be solidly middle of the MAC this season. Fordham has a NET ranking of 167, which is better than Akron's. App State is #203, which is only 29 spots below Akron. Both those teams would beat Radford by double figures as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I agree Radford would have been a game the Zips should have won but I also think they were more than a practice or scrimmage. Looking at our schedule I would believe they would be the second best non-conference team to visit the JAR this season. They seem to be streaky and capable of playing well although they do not do so consistently. I guess I see them as less of a cupcake than Southern or Florida A&M and the Rattlers were a little closer to the Zips than I was comfortable with.

Radford was in the NCAA tournament in 2018 and even won a game in it (although it was in the First Four in Dayton). The Highlanders are also the currently reigning back to back Big South Conference champions... yes, it is a weaker league but the last couple seasons they are it’s premier program.

Last year, they were second in the Big South regular season standings and Winthrop won the tournament.  Radford lost in the semis to Campbell.  The season before they lost on the conference semis to Hampton after finishing tied for first in the regular season.

On 12/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, 1981 grad said:

I was surprised to learn that Radford is a division 1 school.  They are from Virginia and I have no idea why they are on our schedule.  Have we played them before?

Here is what I remember about Radford U. men's basketball:  In his final career game in March of 1993, Akron's Mark Alberts finished as the NCAA's career leader in 3-point field goals.  It was either later the same evening or the next night that Radford's Doug Day passed Alberts and moved into first place in the career 3-pointers list.  I believe it was also the final game of Day's college career, so he must have celebrated, while Mark fell back into his chair after his brief time on top of the 3-point mountain.

What's Mark Alberts doing these days?

2 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Here is what I remember about Radford U. men's basketball:  In his final career game in March of 1993, Akron's Mark Alberts finished as the NCAA's career leader in 3-point field goals.  It was either later the same evening or the next night that Radford's Doug Day passed Alberts and moved into first place in the career 3-pointers list.  I believe it was also the final game of Day's college career, so he must have celebrated, while Mark fell back into his chair after his brief time on top of the 3-point mountain.

I'm guessing neither are anywhere near the top of that list now given the volume of 3s shot now.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Fordham and App State are better than you think they are. Both would be solidly middle of the MAC this season. Fordham has a NET ranking of 167, which is better than Akron's. App State is #203, which is only 29 spots below Akron. Both those teams would beat Radford by double figures as well.

So what you're saying is Akron is in a similar class as Radford, thus further establishing a game against Radford is much more than a scrimmage/practice. 😉

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Mark is the boys coach of the Northwestern Huskies of the mighty WCAL in Wayne County!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Last year, they were second in the Big South regular season standings and Winthrop won the tournament.  Radford lost in the semis to Campbell.  The season before they lost on the conference semis to Hampton after finishing tied for first in the regular season.

OK, I must have been either seeing some incorrect or dated information.. still, I do not see Radford as a team we should treat as a practice. How much worse than Florida A&M are they? A couple different bounces of the ball and that Zips-Rattlers game comes down to the wire.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

OK, I must have been either seeing some incorrect or dated information.. still, I do not see Radford as a team we should treat as a practice. How much worse than Florida A&M are they? A couple different bounces of the ball and that Zips-Rattlers game comes down to the wire.

Agreed that they're not a dog GJG.