Game 13- Bowling Green

clarkwgriswold

With the Radford game cancelled, the next game on the Zips slate is against BGSU on December 29th to open the MAC season.  BG is currently 5-4 having beaten Fairmont State, Ohio Wesleyan, Milwaukee, Chicago State, Duquesne and Oakland and losses to Western Carolina, Ohio State, Norfolk State and Southern Utah.  They've won 3 in a row.  They return Daewon Plowden (15.1 ppg and 7.4 rpg) and Trey Diggs (8.2 ppg) both of whom seem like they should be in their 7th year of eligibility by now.   

Last year, the Zips beat the Falcons by 12 at BG and then had an ugly 8 point loss to them late in the season at the JAR.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

59 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

With the Radford game cancelled, the next game on the Zips slate is against BGSU on December 27th to open the MAC season.  BG is currently 5-4 having beaten Fairmont State, Ohio Wesleyan, Milwaukee, Chicago State, Duquesne and Oakland and losses to Western Carolina, Ohio State, Norfolk State and Southern Utah.  They've won 3 in a row.  They return Justin Turner (19.3 ppg), Daewon Plowden (13.4 ppg and 7.8 rpg) and Trey Diggs (11.4 ppg) all of whom seem like they should be in their 7th year of eligibility by now.  

Last year, the Zips beat the Falcons by 12 at BG and then had an ugly 8 point loss to them late in the season at the JAR.

Really?  Justin Turner is still there?  (rhetorical.  I know i can google it)

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

MAC announced 12/29 & 1/1 games postponed

The following MAC Men's Basketball Games have been postponed. 

12/28: Eastern Michigan at Ohio
12/29: Akron at BGSU // Ball State at NIU
1/1: Buffalo at EMU // NIU at Akron
1/4: Buffalo at NIU

So this is a result of the MAC, not teams covid issues? Trying to wrap my head around it

45 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Considering Akron had 2 games cancelled and BG only 1, I suspect Akron still having covid is what's causing the issue.

This is going just like last year.  Some teams manage to control the COVID outbreaks (such as Toledo and Kent) while Akron doesn't.    Knew this was coming.  Was looking forward to NIU game.  But NIU and Buffalo also have two games postponed.

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Same for the Browns.

And now allegedly open the MAC against Ohio on 1/4.  Groce clearly isn't getting it thru to his players that they need to think of their teammates and the program and be careful.  Unbelievable.  I think Toledo and Ball State didn't miss a game last year because of COVID on their team, not that it helped them much in March

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

And now allegedly open the MAC against Ohio on 1/4.  Groce clearly isn't getting it thru to his players that they need to think of their teammates and the program and be careful.  Unbelievable.  I think Toledo and Ball State didn't miss a game last year because of COVID on their team, not that it helped them much in March

MAC is still using the outdated Covid guidelines. Expect that to change soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

It's almost like it's flu season and these kids are in college. 

YES!  OUR ENTERTAINMENT MUST BE PLACED ABOVE ALL!  🙄

On behalf of the exhausted and understaffed clinical hospital workers across NEOH (and everywhere else), please do your best to make decisions to try and stay extra safe out there during these next few weeks.  Be especially careful if you've chosen to remain unvaccinated.

I look forward to seeing our Zips back on the court when it's safe for them, and for the rest of the public.  Hopefully getting through this mess now gets us a better chance at having a smooth month of March for college basketball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zips Win! said:

Retarded.  Stop canceling games. Play em.  Done with this bs...

*Postponing. 

Meaning to be played at a later date, only to be postponed again by the next "variant" (probably). Somehow the medical & virus "experts" we're all supposed to listen to didn't predict/inform these sports leagues of the inevitable surge during flu season. That's why they're so ill-prepared. Never saw this coming... 🙄