Game 14- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

The Zips host our friends from Canada on New Year's Day at 2 p.m. after a 17 day holiday and Covid hiatus.  The Bulls lost tonight at Miami to fall to 6-5. Hopefully, the Zips will be at full strength and be able to quickly shake off the rust.   The Zips replace EMU on the MAC schedule while the Bulls replace Northern Illinois on the Zips schedule. 

The Bulls were chosen as the top team in the MAC preseason poll.  Senior forward Josh Mbala was named to the All-MAC preseason first team. Jeenathan (don't call me Jonathan) Williams leads Bulls scoring at 18.4 ppg.  Mballa scores 14.1 ppg while pulling down 7.8 rpg.

I will be out of town.  If anyone would like two GA tickets shoot me a PM.

18 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips host our friends from Canada on New Year's Day at 2 p.m. after a 17 day holiday and Covid hiatus.  The Bulls lost tonight at Miami to fall to 6-5. Hopefully, the Zips will be at full strength and be able to quickly shake off the rust.   The Zips replace EMU on the MAC schedule while the Bulls replace Northern Illinois on the Zips schedule. 

The Bulls were chosen as the top team in the MAC preseason poll.  Senior forward Josh Mbala was named to the All-MAC preseason first team. Jeenathan (don't call me Jonathan) Williams leads Bulls scoring at 18.4 ppg.  Mballa scores 14.1 ppg while pulling down 7.8 rpg.

I will be out of town.  If anyone would like two GA tickets shoot me a PM.

Safe trip Mr. Wagon.

• Haha 1

It should be an interesting battle down low with the two top rebounders in the MAC facing off (Freeman and Mballa).  

Ali is 17th in the MAC in scoring, 6th in 3 point FG percentage and 19th in assists per game.  Freeman is 1st in rebounding, 18th in scoring, and 2nd in field goal percentage.  Trimble is second in 3 pointers made per game but only 24th in 3 point percentage.  Bandaogo is first in blocks per game.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It should be an interesting battle down low with the two top rebounders in the MAC facing off (Freeman and Mballa).  

Ali is 17th in the MAC in scoring, 6th in 3 point FG percentage and 19th in assists per game.  Freeman is 1st in rebounding, 18th in scoring, and 2nd in field goal percentage.  Trimble is second in 3 pointers made per game but only 24th in 3 point percentage.  Bandaogo is first in blocks per game.

At one point do we get from you:  "I have a bad feeling about this one."

Tough way to start MAC play:  We will not have played a game for more than two weeks (16 days) while the Bulls have been able to keep a somewhat steady schedule having two games during the same time period.  Granted, they were two somewhat surprising losses to 4-9 Canisius and an a 10 point home loss to an 8-5 Sweaters team that was picked 7th in the MAC preseason poll.

This game being at home plays to the Zips advantage after their hiatus.  I feel better about it than I would if we were on the road.  If the Zips are at full strength, I like our chances.  If we still have guys out sick/COVID, then our depth is a serious issue here like has been discussed before.  Wonder what it would take for Groce to burn the RS for Johnson or Mitchell?

Side note, if you Google 'Akron Basketball Roster', the pic of Enrique Freeman is fun.

image.png.78def1a8b009076413c423bf62098dd5.png

• Haha 2

Wish I was feeling up to attending this game, but I'm still looking forward to watching on tv.

Tough draw to begin MAC play, especially after such an extended layoff.  We're going to have to battle at tough rival (these teams do not like each other) and shake off some rust at the same time.

Not going to have many (any?) students at the game.  I hope the crowd is decent.  I'm not expecting a big crowd with us getting the schedule jerked around on us like this.

Anyway, go Zips!

Edited by Blue & Gold

On 12/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, Reslife4Life said:

Enrique is gonna get his revenge on Mballa for last years DPOY title, calling it right now

Agreed.  The more I watch Enrique the more impressed I become. He's not super strong, but he's just so incredibly quick and coordinated he drives other bigs crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

That has to be sarcasm, right?  Sending a single reporter, one who doesn't travel to away games and doubles as a movie critic, is certainly not dedication.  Ohio.com does actually have a nice game day story for PCCC but nothing for the Zips.

The Beacon continues its decay with no print edition on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve New Years Day.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That has to be sarcasm, right?  Sending a single reporter, one who doesn't travel to away games and doubles as a movie critic, is certainly not dedication.  Ohio.com does actually have a nice game day story for PCCC but nothing for the Zips.

The Beacon continues its decay with no print edition on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve New Years Day.

Yes. Sarcasm.

Beacon Journal dot com used to be Ohio.com.  I was glad the ABJ changed their website address from Ohio.com to beaconjournal.com because I was hopeful it would be a reflection of their increased focus on Akron, as opposed to Cleveland and Columbus.  No cigar.  

Prior to that there was Cleveland.com and Canton-Rep.com but then for Akron we got... Ohio dot com.  😑

The Beacon Journal (like many Akronites) has little self respect.  Anyway, I digress...

BeaconJournal.com has KSUcks stories because the Record Courier (Portage County) does a nice job covering KSUcks and both the Record Courier and ABJ are now owned by USA Today so the articles are shared between the two websites.

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Don’t have a good feeling coming into this one with so much time off and Lord knows what happened with the roster in the mean time. On top of that, if the Zips are without anyone it could be disastrous. Just gotta remember this thing is a marathon, not a sprint. Go Zips!

Neither do I.  We were on a roll before the COVID-pause.  We're not going to be in game shape.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yes. Sarcasm.

Beacon Journal dot com used to be Ohio.com.  I was glad the ABJ changed their website address from Ohio.com to beaconjournal.com because I was hopeful it would be a reflection of their increased focus on Akron, as opposed to Cleveland and Columbus.  No cigar.  

Prior to that there was Cleveland.com and Canton-Rep.com but then for Akron we got... Ohio dot com.  😑

The Beacon Journal (like many Akronites) has little self respect.  Anyway, I digress...

BeaconJournal.com has KSUcks stories because the Record Courier (Portage County) does a nice job covering KSUcks and both the Record Courier and ABJ are now owned by USA Today so the articles are shared between the two websites.

I am still in the practice of referring to it as Ohio.com.  I like that they combine with their "sister" papers to broaden coverage but there's no reason PCCC should get superior coverage to the Zips.

Amazingly, cleveland.com now beats the Beacon and its site to many Akron local news stories.  SMDH.