Game 14- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

29 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Much anger at the refs from the folks in Canada.  Apparently, the refs are all from Ohio an favor Ohio teams:

skrabukes

Posted 3 hours ago

Every time we start to cut the deficit, they make a BS call. Typical

Erie County

Posted 3 hours ago

In a game where everything has been called.

Akron has committed TEN fouls.

Ohio refs outright favoring a team

Tee4three

Posted 3 hours ago

What do the refs just want ub to have akron run lay up lines all game 

I am thinking this is just frustration from a fan base with large expectations and who is dealing with 3 loses and 3 cancellations in the last 6 games. I typically believe in home cooking, but this was not the most egregious example. If anything, I applaud the refs keeping emotions in check with a couple of quick technicals. We can joke about the Akron crowd's overwhelming energy and intimidation factor, but the truth is the Zips dug in and out-played Buffalo the last 45 minutes.

Officiating was very, very good. They got control of the game and kept it from getting out of hand. I didn’t love the T on Ali, but considering they called one earlier on Williams for the sake of being preventative, all good with me. Buffalo just committed a lot of fouls. Plain and simple. Akron exploited that, they were lazy defensively and reached and grabbed. If I looked at FT stats I would guess Akron is up there in attempts per game. The entire game plan for like 2 weeks was to have Tribble attack and draw fouls. There’s an art to it. The Zips executed their game plan very well today. Props to Mikal Dawson always seemingly coming up with big momentum threes, he’s a hell of a glue guy!

That game was eerily similar to the one played at the JAR 365 days prior. In that one, the Zips hosted Kent on short notice, went down pretty big early on, seemingly had no plan of attack, and just slowly ate away at the deficit and then slowly built their own double digit lead. 

This squad has a lot of potential, I’m still not entirely sold on them as a group, but more performances like this with their back against the wall will have me singing their praises before long. Can’t wait for Tuesday!

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Officiating was very, very good. They got control of the game and kept it from getting out of hand. I didn’t love the T on Ali, but considering they called one earlier on Williams for the sake of being preventative, all good with me. Buffalo just committed a lot of fouls. Plain and simple. Akron exploited that, they were lazy defensively and reached and grabbed. If I looked at FT stats I would guess Akron is up there in attempts per game. The entire game plan for like 2 weeks was to have Tribble attack and draw fouls. There’s an art to it.

i watched the replay and our friend Jackie Windon said those Ts were the right call.  Regghi was like "no, let them have play."  Jackie, who is smarter and has the ref experience, said it was important to send a message to the player and to the bench that this won't be tolerated.  she said if you let it pass, it gets the bench agitated and the fans on the Bulls site were predicting the game would come to blows.  You could kinda see Groce was like...hey the plan is working...every time Bulls would foul when Akron drove the lane.  Aziz, though, is a liability in that situation since he misses 80% of his layups and free throws.