Game 15- Ohio University

The 10-2 Bobcats visit the JAR Tuesday night at 6:00 to face the Zips.  Their losses came to LSU and Kentucky.

6-1 sophomore guard Mark Sears has stepped in well for Jason Preston and leads OU scoring at 18.5 ppg.  6-8 5th year forward Jason Carter returns as the Bobcats’ main big man averaging 13.6 ppg and 7.4 rpg. 6-8 redshirt senior Ben Vander Plas is scoring 12. 4 ppg while pulling down 6.6. rpg.  SVSM’s Lunden Mcday who looked to be a major part of the OU rotation has only played in 5 games, missing considerable time for personal reasons.  OU was voted to finish 2nd in the MAC preseason poll and placed Vander Plas on the first team and Carter on the second.

A win by the Zips would give them wins over the top two teams in the MAC preseason poll to start the MAC season.

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Anyone know if Trimble is expected to be back for this game?

Our "new" beat writer wrote Trimble is "day-to-day".  I therefore presume he's awaiting a negative covid test result, or perhaps an end to quarantine.  Has he been practicing?  If so it's the former.

Stat comparison going into the game:

UA                               OU

FG%            .459                            .418

3PT%          .355                            .324

PPG             74.4                            72.3

RPG             38.3                            33.8

The OU fans are complaining about the team's shooting slump.  You can see why from those numbers.   

• Like 1

The only time I watched the Hocking Hills team was when they played Kentucky.  They were shooting lights out from 3 until KY locked down their defense.  I can see the Zips having a 7 or 8 point lead going into the last few minutes and then one of their guys starts making NBA 3s.  Isn't that how it always goes?  (or it seems like it does)

5 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Zips -1.5. I’d personally take the points if I were a betting man. Zips are 3-1 ATS at home against D1 competition, including 2-0 as home doggies. However, this is the best team the Zips have faced since they opened the season in Columbus. 

Why would you bet against the Zips?

P.S.: -1.5 means the Zips are one and a half point favorites; not dogs.

Edited by Zipmeister

8 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Why would you bet against the Zips?

P.S.: -1.5 means the Zips are one and a half point favorites; not dogs.

Yes, I know. I would take the points and bet Ohio. As I said in my post, this is the best team Akron has played in 2 months and I don't think Akron is at their potential yet. I am both aware of Akron's ATS record and the fact that I don't think they're going to win tonight. 

58 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yes, I know. I would take the points and bet Ohio. As I said in my post, this is the best team Akron has played in 2 months and I don't think Akron is at their potential yet. I am both aware of Akron's ATS record and the fact that I don't think they're going to win tonight. 

Well, what kind of attitude is that?  :)😀

The eyes will be on Ali and Freeman. Their matchups with Vander Plas and Jason Carter are my keys to the game. Take VP out of the game, force him to take contested jumpers and pick him up as deep as 28-feet. He can and will take those and make them all night long. Ali is plenty athletic to keep up with him and run him off the line. As for Carter, when he made his JAR debut in his first stint with the Bobcats a thousand years ago, Big Dog kept him in check on the boards. If Freeman can force him outside and make him beat us with his outside shot, I'm there for it all day long. The Zips dominated OU in their trip to the JAR last year by making them uncomfortable on offense for 40 minutes. They had to work so hard to get good looks, and by the end of the game they were gassed. I'm excited for a high-level ball game. Here's to hoping Trimble is back and He and X have their shot.

• Like 1