Game 15- Ohio University

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Ali trying to do way too much.

I agree, but his play the final 10 minutes is what brought us back into the game. I really feel without Freeman being productive on the offensive end and no Trimble, Ali felt he had to put the team on his back tonight. That's why his slot selection was so poor those last 2 minutes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree, but his play the final 10 minutes is what brought us back into the game. I really feel without Freeman being productive on the offensive end and no Trimble, Ali felt he had to put the team on his back tonight. That's why his slot selection was so poor those last 2 

We ask Ali to be assertive all year. I'll take the good with the bad. The kittens play tight defense, that was what we saw more than anything else.

Edited by Zip4Roos

What a damn ball game. I would have been a lot more upset losing a game like this a few years ago, but I try to keep cool now. Groce hit the nail on the head. They outplayed Akron tonight. Plain and simple. That would have been an all-timer of a stolen win had Akron come out on top, that’s for sure. With that said, it was great to see the fight from UA because it felt really hopeless at about 53-39. The Zips played tougher than them down the stretch to tie it up with 2 minutes to go and the Zips didn’t score again. I wasn’t a fan of any of those possessions down the stretch either. 

They played their scouting report on the Akron bugs to a T for the first 30 minutes then Freeman started to loosen up and figure it out a bit. Also fitting that as soon as Clarke plays his best game as a Zip on Saturday he turns his ankle in that one and wasn’t very good today, especially on defense. Dawson was a tremendous glue guy again and played very well outside of the dumb blocked three, he just got beat on the layup by Sears at the end. 

Total BS that Trimble couldn’t play tonight, but that’s above our pay grade. Fun game between the teams and coaches. It was nice to have the arena come to life the last 6 minutes or so. 

On to (maybe) Miami Saturday, which will be no easy feat. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Trust the process. Go Zips!

• Like 4

I guess I can’t complain too much. Came into the season with Walton and now no Trimble and still right down to the wire with a very good and well coached Ohio team.

The frustrating part is the incredibly slow start two games in a row and then the struggles at the free throw line, either of those are different tonight and the Zips are atop the standings.

I'm in agreement with the two prior posts.  Really happy that they didn't fold and made Ohio blow that 15 point lead.  That turnaround happened really fast with help from Boals getting T'd up.  Groce was sanguine after the game.   Very, very fortunate Akron had these two tough games at home.  Would this had been different with Trimble and games against Radford, BG, and NIU in their pocket.  Likely.  Stay healthy.  Get to Cleveland.  

• Like 1

I repeat: OU is not the better team, they just have better guards. They're beatable, but they are good. VP and Sears are going to be trouble in the MAC for as long as they play in Athens. 

Groce needs to find his next great guard for this team to be more of a threat. Ali cannot be put in positions where he feels like he has to do it all. 

Has anybody watched practice? What do the redshirt freshman guards look like?