Game 15- Ohio University

Just popped over to say that was a fun game to watch. Exciting final 10 minutes. Definitely felt like a MAC tourney game. Freeman is an easy kid to root for as an opponent. Had some really very friendly Akron fans sitting around me and my wife.  Should be a fun one in Athens.  Hopefully with full rosters next time.  Good luck and stay healthy!

• Like 5

OU's guards might be better and Sears has obviously improved a ton, but I thought the difference was BVP and Carter. There aren't many teams in the country with bigs as dynamic as those two. I don't know how OU fans felt about their team's performance tonight, but I definitely don't think it was our best showing.

Ali and Dawson's performance stuck out to me the most. X, Freeman, and Wynn also to an extent, but less so. Ali did try to do too much at the end, but I'm happy with the aggression. I'm sure he's learning the role on the go after being a secondary option his career thus far. I think he'll improve in that regard and we need him to do so if we want to compete for it all in Cleveland. Go Zips.

Edited by LZIp

Great game to watch with friends, who are becoming Zips fans.  Let me thank my bartender for the Honolulu Cider Co. Guava Lava.  😃

Boals had the game plan to beat Akron early -- why are we so slow to get unhinged?  OU is built for the tournament and can make a run with those shooters.

Sometimes it seems like Ali x2 looks better when he's just a little out-of-control.  If he's not the Most Improved Player in the MAC, I don't know who is -- it just seems like his athleticism has taken a jump from last year.

After Vander Plas injured his left shoulder (about the time Akron's comeback began) he was less eager to shoot, and once on defense he made contact with a Zip ballhandler and ran to lean against the basket support in pain.  That injury didn't hurt Akron's comeback.  Finally, if we hadn't missed all our free-throws the first half we'd have had a better chance!  Especially gotta make the front end of one-and-ones.  Overall not that disappointed and think we have a good chance in the return trip to Upper Appalachia.

• Like 1

Very good college basketball game. I love a good comeback. Too bad the Zips fell short.

My only complaint is I don't feel like the Zips gave themselves many options on their last 2-3 trips on offense. I like options. Maybe I just don't like the way college basketball is turning into the NBA. The NBA is awesome if you have NBA level talent.

• Thanks 1

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I listened to some of his questions to Groce after the game.  I think GT is rude.  I don't like how he calls him "John" instead of "Coach."   You know Groce is biting his tongue and wants to respond, "What an effing stupid question, GEORGE!"

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I listened to some of his questions to Groce after the game.  I think GT is rude.  I don't like how he calls him "John" instead of "Coach."   You know Groce is biting his tongue and wants to respond, "What an effing stupid question, GEORGE!"

I get a lot more out of his post-game radio comments than his post-game pressers with GT.

53 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Please note the gross error in the second and third paragraphs.  It was there when he posted the story last night and remains today.  I know George doesn't proof his own copy -- his errors are legendary -- but shouldn't someone else on their sports desk do a cleanup after the fact?  As John Knight was known to exclaim, "Who the hell edits this newspaper?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't give a damn if GT is supposed to have somebody review his articles or not. Any competent professional should at least do a read over of their work to catch obvious errors. I have zero doubt in my mind that his position is one of the least coveted at the ABJ and I'd also assume he's protected by a union (may be wrong there) or he'd have been replaced long ago.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He does that, but he needs to get his 3 point field goal percentage up.  Last I checked, he was 2nd in the MAC in attempts but 15th to 20th in percentage.

He's shooting 36.1% from 3. That's still above average. If he was a MAC team, Trimble would be 3rd in the MAC in 3P%. He had a pretty abysmal performance down in Florida, like several other Zips. You take those games out and he's shooting a pretty elite 40% from 3 with his 1/6 performance game against OSU being his only other clunker.

image.png.407fdd8a229266eed17def90568782c8.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't give a damn if GT is supposed to have somebody review his articles or not. Any competent professional should at least do a read over of their work to catch obvious errors. I have zero doubt in my mind that his position is one of the least coveted at the ABJ and I'd also assume he's protected by a union (may be wrong there) or he'd have been replaced long ago.

I'm betting on "union"

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

His name is John

13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Groce is a very personable guy and I doubt he finds it disrespectful that George calls him John instead of coach. I'm just a dumb fan and I call him John in our conversations. I think he is just happy that there is at least someone from the local paper there to ask him questions no matter how dumb they may be.

15 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Groce is a very personable guy and I doubt he finds it disrespectful that George calls him John instead of coach. I'm just a dumb fan and I call him John in our conversations. I think he is just happy that there is at least someone from the local paper there to ask him questions no matter how dumb they may be.

Fair enough.  I doubt it bothers him.  He has bigger issues to think about.  Joe and Skozcen always seem more respectful.  And I wasn't saying this because I thought it would bother Groce.  To me, it reflects GTs overall casual attitude towards covering the Zips.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Good points, but as an aside, I'm not sure GT is actually there for some of those pressers.  It sounds to me like some kind of speaker phone at work.

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good points, but as an aside, I'm not sure GT is actually there for some of those pressers.  It sounds to me like some kind of speaker phone at work.

You know GT's going to milk COVID as long as he can to sit from home. I think he hasn't been at a very large majority of events in person since this began.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Pretty sure that COVID protocols established by UA and his employer have prevented him from attending the pressers and many games. 

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Pretty sure that COVID protocols established by UA and his employer have prevented him from attending the pressers and many games. 

Good point.  I'm not a fan of the "10 minutes with John and George" post-game pressers as they just seem so contrived.  I guess it's an exercise a D1 basketball program is expected to have.  

19 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good point.  I'm not a fan of the "10 minutes with John and George" post-game pressers as they just seem so contrived.  I guess it's an exercise a D1 basketball program is expected to have.  

Coach Groce is willing to speak to press after a loss.  A former coach wouldn't do that.   Discuss :)