2022 Zips in The Pros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Diogo Pacheco scored his first professional goal last night for MNUFC 2. Turned out to be the eventual winner in a 3-2 win.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Is "Next Pro" the new name of the USL? 🤔🤷‍♂️

totally different from USL

there are a lot more por teams now than there used to be

MLS Next Pro is a men's professional soccer league in the United States and Canada that is affiliated with Major League Soccer. It launched in 2022 with 21 teams, of which 20 are reserve sides for MLS clubs and the independent Rochester New York FC.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/news/mnufc2-knocks-off-undefeated-city2-in-stunning-4-0-road-victory

Cameron Knowles ... Anyone remember him? How about Diogo Pacheco?

...MNUFC2 head coach Cameron Knowles praised his attacking core for their performance on the night, while adding that it was a full team effort from the back to the front. ...

Diogo Pacheco

Midfielder · MNUFC2

Pacheco’s performance caught the eye of viewers both on screen and in-stadium, with Knowles praising the winger for his “determination” and “fight” to win his battles on the pitch tonight.

Born in Lisbon, Portugal, Pacheco is a collegiate product out of Akron University where over three seasons he scored 10 goals and notched 4 assists in 34 appearances. 2022 is his first year with the Minnesota United organization, where he was signed to an MLS NEXT Pro contract on March 23rd. 

In his first start of the season, Pacheco took advantage of the opportunity presented to him and put on a passing clinic. His first of three assists to Justin McMaster may have been the cleanest.

Video highlights: https://www.mlsnextpro.com/video/highlights-st-louis-city2-vs-mnufc2-april-24-2022#highlights-st-louis-city2-vs-mnufc2-april-24-2022 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Z.I.P. said:

For those interested in USL Championship competition, Nick Hinds and his El Paso Locomotive are on ESPN right now vs Detroit City.  Nick's the starting Left Wing for Locomotive.

Watching, thanks! Announcers said the game sold out before game day...7500-8000 in attendance. Nice!

On 4/10/2022 at 1:17 AM, TennZip said:

totally different from USL

there are a lot more por teams now than there used to be

MLS Next Pro is a men's professional soccer league in the United States and Canada that is affiliated with Major League Soccer. It launched in 2022 with 21 teams, of which 20 are reserve sides for MLS clubs and the independent Rochester New York FC.

Took me a while to figure this new US Soccer scenario out.  I think it's a matter of MLS demanding to have the superior position in all areas of pro soccer nationally. I remember when WNBA started up and blew out the previous women's pro basketball league (WBA?).  Strange, however that MLSNext has no national TV contract while USLC is on ESPN.  And, according to this blog (attached below), MLSNext is considered Division III of the US Soccer ladder, yet is the most direct route to MLS!  I'm interested personally as Hawai'i politicians are promising a USL team as soon as the New Aloha Stadium is completed in 2025.  Hope we get some former Zips (and local stars) in the islands!  ☺

https://www.conductdetrimental.com/post/mls-and-the-usl-are-in-competition-whether-they-like-or-admit-it-or-not

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...