PCCC- 1/14/22

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to the Portage County Agricultural and Animal Husbandry Arena Friday night to face the 7-8 Flushes.  The game is at 8 p.m. on the CBS Sports Network (sigh). The Flushes are fresh off of a home loss to a three win NIU squad.  They had a smaller crowd than the Zips.

6-1 redshirt junior guard Solon grad and Duquesne transfer Insincere Carry leads PCCC at 17.4 ppg. 6-3 redshirt junior guard Malique Jackson scores 12.1 ppg while pulling down 6.8 rpg.  I’m not sure if Mr. Pinky has anyone as irritating as Jimmy Hall or Danny Pippen this season. 

For those attending, PCCC has shut down the concession stands due to Covid.  The only available items are bottled soft drinks and water.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

On 1/11/2022 at 9:21 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips head to the Portage County Agricultural and Animal Husbandry Arena Friday night to face the 7-8 Flushes.  The game is at 8 p.m. on the CBS Sports Network (sigh).

According to ESPN it is on both CBSSN and ESPN+? 

Initially going into this one, I would like to think that the Zips are going to win, but time and time again the home team almost always wins this one no matter how good or bad either side is. I'll get into more of the matchups and the game itself tomorrow as it gets closer and we see who is favored, but I don't know the last time Akron has gone to Portage County with them being under .500 overall and in the league.

I've not seen Pinky so clueless and defeated before. But, they won back to back MAC games over Toledo and @ Ball State just last week, which is why I'm not necessarily expecting Akron to win this one. I'm optimistic about their chances, it's just that Kent has been playing to their competition almost all season. The Zips haven't played away from the JAR in ages and have had few practices with everyone available. I don't know what to expect. All I know, is their students aren't back on campus yet, their crowds have been bad, far worse than ours actually, their campus is getting upset that fans aren't wearing masks. I want Zip fans to take over the MACC tomorrow. I'll have a nice sized group. Let's make a statement!

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Initially going into this one, I would like to think that the Zips are going to win, but time and time again the home team almost always wins this one no matter how good or bad either side is. I'll get into more of the matchups and the game itself tomorrow as it gets closer and we see who is favored, but I don't know the last time Akron has gone to Portage County with them being under .500 overall and in the league.

I've not seen Pinky so clueless and defeated before. But, they won back to back MAC games over Toledo and @ Ball State just last week, which is why I'm not necessarily expecting Akron to win this one. I'm optimistic about their chances, it's just that Kent has been playing to their competition almost all season. The Zips haven't played away from the JAR in ages and have had few practices with everyone available. I don't know what to expect. All I know, is their students aren't back on campus yet, their crowds have been bad, far worse than ours actually, their campus is getting upset that fans aren't wearing masks. I want Zip fans to take over the MACC tomorrow. I'll have a nice sized group. Let's make a statement!

Zips need this won and the next 3 against the Michigan schools.   Ugh...just saw BG was thrown in there.

Article re: PCCC's recent woes in the Agricultural and Animal Husbandry Arena-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2022/01/13/kent-state-enters-fridays-game-4-4-home-record-season/9161841002/

Ummm, Mr. Pinky, could the problem be that Insincere is an offense killing ball hog?

Edited by clarkwgriswold

According to gozips.com

The Akron-Kent State Series
Friday's game marks the 157th meeting in series history between Akron and Kent State. The first meeting was during the 1915-16 season at Kent State where Akron pulled out the win, 37-16. The Zips have won 16 of the last 27 meetings, including three consecutive games to even the all-time series record at 78-78, dating back to March 6, 2020.

According to kentstatesports.com

The Kent State men's basketball team (7-8, 2-3 MAC) will host Akron (9-4, 2-1 MAC) on Friday night at 8 p.m., inside the M.A.C. Center with hopes of breaking the historic rivalry's 79-79 tie.

Is it our mistake or do we add Can't Add too?

Not at all surprised to the the Flushes be favored. They did beat Toledo at home after all. Whether Santiago is back for them or not is probably the biggest thing. That line may suggest that he is back. He's their second best player on a team that relies a lot on guard play. Our guards need to lock down Carry and force someone else to win the game for them.

They do not shoot the 3-ball well at all, and they don't have a great inside scorer. The Zips have had some trouble stopping driving layups so that is a concern I have. Also, Kent is one of the best foul shooting teams in the country so we can't afford to get into foul trouble like we saw on Tuesday.

I really like this Akron team and how they're playing. I just want to see a full 40 minutes. You can't come from behind double digits every game, especially on the road and especially against this program. Hopefully X and Trimble find their shot early and Freeman and Aziz stay out of foul trouble. I like the matchup for Akron, but there's just something about this arena...

Can't wait to be there though, Go Zips!!!!!