PCCC- 1/14/22

clarkwgriswold

5 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Just another poor performance at the MAC Center for the Zips. Nothing I haven't seen before and the main reason I rarely journey over there. We'll get back at 'em at the JAR.

Zips beat them twice last year...without fans.  But total fail.  There are some guys who give negative minutes.

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Same ol’ trip to Brimfield. Senderoff is awful, Groce out coached him in every way. He just had the best player tonight. 

Maybe more thoughts later. On to the next one. 

you are a good fan!  Senderoff will always do and recruit enough to keep his job.  Groce is starting to look like a lifer at the JAR.

14 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Would hav been real nice to see Ethan wynn this game. He lit It up against Kent last year but we can't have nice things..

Wynn - waste

Clarke - negative minutes

Ali - tries to do way too much

Tribble - zero outside shot

Trimble - as streaky as streaky gets

Bandaogo - freshman

Castenada - thank God

Freeman - a walk-on we blind-lucked into. (Do Groce & Co. deserve credit for that?)

This is a deeply flawed team.

Nonetheless, go Akron.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wynn - waste

Clarke - negative minutes

Ali - tries to do way too much

Tribble - zero outside shot

Trimble - as streaky as streaky gets

Bandaogo - freshman

Castenada - thank God

Freeman - a walk-on we blind-lucked into. (Do Groce & Co. deserve credit for that?)

This is a deeply flawed team.

Nonetheless, go Akron.

I will do the pile on and put Wynn with the other recruiting fails in Daily and Walton as well.  He pulled a rabbit out of the hat with DJ Cooper and LCJ but has anyone else (besides possibly Castaneda) reached the level of X, Cheese, Banks, and Jackson?

Still... Go Zips.

Edited by NWAkron

I made the mistake of going to the game tonight thinking the Zips would play well.  I indicated how I hoped Trimble would learn how good he could be by driving to the basket and taking short jump shots.  Well throw that right out the window.  He missed 3 ball after 3 ball.  I watched him shoot at the half and with nobody guarding him I watched him miss 12 in a row.  He stayed on the court and kept shooting and finally made one.  I thought this is not his night to shoot the 3 ball.  Within 30 seconds in the 2nd half he shot and missed another 3.  Groce should coach Trimble and tell him you hit 5 of 6 on Tuesday from short distance.  Stop shooting the 3 ball you are killing our chance to win.  That did not happen.

I was also disappointed with Groce.  Our full court press was pathetic.  Why bother?  Also, on one possession he had Trimble guarding Carey and it was ugly.  Carey blew past him.  Also,  as somebody noticed, Clarke was terrible at the point.  He dribbles the clock away, forced up a 3, turned the ball over, and just looked bad.  Did not see him in the 2nd half.  He was really good last year backing up LCJ.  Where did his game go.  

Groce indicated we were not tough enough.  Look at the stats on the 3 point shooting.  We could not shoot the 3 ball.  I hope this is not a trend that this team is going to suck on the road.  Very disappointed in the game.

• Like 5

Does anyone know what happened to Tribble at the end? I know he walked off the floor, but it didn't look good with him holding his head on the ground. 

We had plenty of chances in the second half to take the lead back with us trading buckets and trading misses for almost 5 minutes. Just an ugly game, Trimble and Ali, especially Ali tried way to hard at forcing shots. Even though Ali had 8 points, it probably should have been 4 if it wasn't for a couple lucky rolls. PCCC played exceptional defense barely allowing Dawson to get any quality touches.

I think Aziz played better than he has recently, but he tries to be way to powerful when it isn't necessary like on the missed dunk. Against OU I remember he had an easy block but he tried so hard to swat it away to be a highlight play, he totally missed. 

Wynn must be out with something because he didn't warm up, and wore a mask during warm ups, which I haven't seen before. 

I don't think its time to jump to conclusions about this team since the home team (with fans) wins this matchup most of the time, but we need some depth on this team. A guy like Jermaine Marshall or Jaden Sayles would be pretty nice right now.

First truly bad game since Florida and the sky is falling on good ol’ ZN. I call it the Sendy Special. It’s what won his sorry-a** a MAC title. He throws a darn good player at you and he miraculously beats you with absolutely nothing else. The Zips win that game 8/10 times. How many times does Freeman get out rebounded by a group of crappy bigs like that? It doesn’t happen very often. I’m disappointed as everyone is. The Zips are far better than they showed tonight. But at the end of the day this is just another loss in Portage County. Trimble has these games, we’ve seen it plenty. Ali was disappointing, I’ll give you that. And Freeman was getting destroyed on the boards, albeit with BS put backs and rebounds on loose balls after great defensive possessions. I am not sold on this Akron team as MAC Champions, but I’m still happy to buy stock. 

Groce out coached Pinky tonight. Don’t let 50% of his teams’ points coming from one Doo-Cane transfer fool you. It was neck and neck until the last few minutes and UA was playing it’s worst game since before Thanksgiving! It just came down to execution and Akron wasn’t able to tonight. On to the next one. It’s a marathon, not a race. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

First truly bad game since Florida and the sky is falling on good ol’ ZN. I call it the Sendy Special. It’s what won his sorry-a** a MAC title. He throws a darn good player at you and he miraculously beats you with absolutely nothing else. The Zips win that game 8/10 times. How many times does Freeman get out rebounded by a group of crappy bigs like that? It doesn’t happen very often. I’m disappointed as everyone is. The Zips are far better than they showed tonight. But at the end of the day this is just another loss in Portage County. Trimble has these games, we’ve seen it plenty. Ali was disappointing, I’ll give you that. And Freeman was getting destroyed on the boards, albeit with BS put backs and rebounds on loose balls after great defensive possessions. I am not sold on this Akron team as MAC Champions, but I’m still happy to buy stock. 

Groce out coached Pinky tonight. Don’t let 50% of his teams’ points coming from one Doo-Cane transfer fool you. It was neck and neck until the last few minutes and UA was playing it’s worst game since before Thanksgiving! It just came down to execution and Akron wasn’t able to tonight. On to the next one. It’s a marathon, not a race. 

Good post.  Thank u.

But I still think sky is falling

Edited by NWAkron

A lot of overreaction in here.   Sure, it was ugly but it's a long season and the Zips always have some of these, especially when it comes to travelling to Brimfield.  Don't forget, the Zips were not the favorite going in.  Too many were judging PCCC on its bad losses and not considering its good wins.  That's Mr. Pinky's history- his team playing up or down to the competition.

This is the most balanced ZIps team in a while.  The down side of that is there's not ""that guy", the guy who gets you a hoop in a pinch or pushes the rest of the team.  PCCC has one of those.  I think it's too late to develop one in this season.  The transfer portal can bring a quick fix to this.  From here on out, they'll lose in Athens, at Toledo and at Buffalo and drop another game or two along the way.  They'll make it to Cleveland and have a fighter's chance there.

It's not the end of the world.  It's a predictable loss in a rivalry game.  On to the next game.

Too many Zips players didn't show up last night. Ali, Dawson, Clarke and Trimble were all disappointing. I thought Bandaogo, Freeman, Tribble and obviously Casteneda gave it their all.

Kent outworked us for sure. Carry clowned us. He did what he wanted, whenever he wanted. I definitely don't want to see that again in round #2.

Hope we get our swagger back. That was a bad effort for a Kent game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

A lot of overreaction in here.   Sure, it was ugly but it's a long season and the Zips always have some of these, especially when it comes to travelling to Brimfield.  Don't forget, the Zips were not the favorite going in.  Too many were judging PCCC on its bad losses and not considering its good wins.  That's Mr. Pinky's history- his team playing up or down to the competition.

This is the most balanced ZIps team in a while.  The down side of that is there's not ""that guy", the guy who gets you a hoop in a pinch or pushes the rest of the team.  PCCC has one of those.  I think it's too late to develop one in this season.  The transfer portal can bring a quick fix to this.  From here on out, they'll lose in Athens, at Toledo and at Buffalo and drop another game or two along the way.  They'll make it to Cleveland and have a fighter's chance there.

It's not the end of the world.  It's a predictable loss in a rivalry game.  On to the next game.

Yes. This is not the place for rational discussion in the hours after a loss, especially to Kent. We'll be okay

• Like 1

I was disappointed in that going into the game everyone on here was in agreement that we needed to focus on shutting down Carry and make others beat us. Yet we didn't shut down Carry.    

Kent was obviously focussed on running us off the line and they executed and did precisely that. Trimble was ice cold and I believe Dawson only took one, difficult, 3 all night.

Kent had a game plan & executed.  It didn't look like we had any specific plan to even try to slow down Carry, let alone execute said plan.

We made zero adjustments (from what I could tell) throughout the course of the game. 

Kent also punked us on the boards.

Still quite bummed this a.m.

tenor-21063804.gif.30598787e22971d2d24eecba455170c8.gif

• Haha 1

This team really misses Walton as only X can create for himself. Yes Ali forces some shots but what else do they have? I know it's not Groce's style but they need to run their sets through Freeman. Especially with the second unit. That or really look to push the ball on misses and turnovers. 

Losing Walton and the disappearance or Clarke is killing this team. 

Any time we lose to Kent it's a bitter pill to swallow. Unfortunately, this time we got out hustled, out-coached and out-played. The hustle is on the players and sometimes you just don't play as well as you can, but JG can do something about the coaching. The team has no confidence in the offense. Ali forces too much, Tribble has no outside shot or free throw, Trimble is a streak shooter and Clarke doesn't shoot while being prone to turnovers. Yet I agree with another poster that this team has some semblance of balance. Still JG has not installed an offense that the team can go to for points. How many times did our guards come down the floor and waste 10 seconds standing at the top of the key dribbling and watching with no movement to be found? JG is too good of a coach to let that continue. The makeup of this team is compatible with moving the ball around until someone gets free. Let that player shoot. Simple. We are too good to be playing like this. The coaches must solve it. I believe Groce will. This is a wakeup call.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

This team really misses Walton as only X can create for himself. Yes Ali forces some shots but what else do they have? I know it's not Groce's style but they need to run their sets through Freeman. Especially with the second unit. That or really look to push the ball on misses and turnovers. 

Losing Walton and the disappearance or Clarke is killing this team. 

Some major recruiting fails.  AD Guthrie isn't going to accept average or just making it to the first round in Cleveland.  Like other years, it appears the other teams are figuring out the Zips.  Freeman hasn't had a good game in a while and it's 50/50 whether Trimble can make a shot.  If they shut down Freeman, and Trimble is cold...game over.  Zips got lucky with that Buffalo game.  Buffalo was missing Mballa and refs were calling tons of fouls.  I don't expect anything at this point but fortunately we have an AD who DOES have expectations.