Western Michigan- 1/18/22- 6:00 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

Western Michigan comes into the JAR on Tuesday to face the Zips.  The 4-12 Broncos are fresh off of a loss to Miami.  Their 4 wins have come against Hope, Purdue Fort Wayne, Southeastern Louisiana and Aquinas. 

The Broncos were predicted to finish 9th in the MAC preseason poll. 5-10 sophomore guard B. Artis White was selected to the preseason All-MAC second team, but he’s only played 5 games thus far.   6-1 junior guard Lamar Norman Jr. leads Bronco scoring at 19.3 ppg, with no other player averaging in double digits. 

Hopefully, the Broncos will give our Zips a chance to get their feet back under them and work out some of the kinks

Edited by clarkwgriswold

34 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

Let's hope this former Duquesne Duke (Norman Jr) does not destroy us like previous game 🤕

I sure wish some of those who fled KD would have come to UA as revenge.  2 of the top 5 scorers in the MAC are escapees of KD.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

• clarkwgriswold changed the title to Western Michigan- 1/18/22- 6:00 p.m.

Yesterday was the first time WMU guards B. Artis White and Lamar Norman Jr. were both in the starting lineup for a MAC game.  White suffered a leg injury in WMU's game against Michigan State and missed significant time as a result. White led the Broncos in scoring last year at 14.3 a game as a freshman.  If he's back at full speed, he and Norman make up a nice backcourt.

I'm still extremely bitter about the loss on Friday. I just want to see Akron put 40 minutes together and take care of business against what will be one of the worst MAC teams of all time. Two weeks into MAC play and while UA has generally played well, they still have a long way to go and definitely look like a team that has had as many stoppages as it has.

Go Zips

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That picture clearly demonstrates Tribble's shooting issues.

The under/over for the actual crowd tonight, with an iffy opponent and the snowy roads, is 567 (including the band and cheer and dance squads). 

Lol that picture is not a good look for him. Interesting new technique 😂

16 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Lol that picture is not a good look for him. Interesting new technique 😂

I saw it last week and gasped.   Thank goodness he contributes in other ways.  I don't think his shooting is for lack of effort or practice.   I just think it is so engrained at this point that it is tough to fix.

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

And you know he’s had coaches working with him for years. He just doesn’t at all have a natural J. Nature over nurture. Lol

Yep.  Clearly, it was so engrained by the time that good coaches got to him that it's a difficult fix.  Muscle memory is a difficult thing to overcome.

3 ppg in 2019-20. 4.2 ppg in 2020-21 and 6.9 ppg this season. Not a bad progression. He should be around 8 ppg next year, which is great if he's surrounded by other guys that can score. 

He finishes better than ever at the rim now, and his FT shooting has improved from 48% to 64% since year #1. Not great, but serviceable.

He's outscored Dawson 90 - 73 this year?

31 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

it looks like he's blocking his own shot..

maybe the pic is out of context and he is passing the ball.  I think tonight is perfect night for a basketball game.  Get out of the cabin fever.

I will be following score of Ravenna at Eastern Michigan tonight...

When I was watching the Zips warm up at half and indicated that Trimble could not hit a three and missed 10 straight, Tribble was making almost all of his 3 point attempts.  I was actually hoping to see him attempt more 3 pointers in the 2nd half.  However, he missed his first 3 in the first half and did not attempt another 3.  I like Tribble as a player because he goes hard to the hoop and puts his body on the line against the big guys.  (That is how he got injured at Kent)  He has shot 47 foul shots in 311 minutes.

In comparison, Trimble has shot 7 foul shots in 343 minutes.  Since Trimble has come back from Covid, he is 2 for 16 on three pointers and his one made three at Kent was after the contest was decided.  In the Ball state game he was 6 of 7 from two point land and I was hoping to see more of that in Kent.  However, he shied away from driving to the basket at Kent.  Interesting, Groce in post game indicates they were out toughed at Kent.  But Trimble was their softest player and Groce keeps him in the game when he is cold from the outside.  Hopefully, tonight Trimble will play more like he did last Tuesday or find his 3 point range.    

I would really like to see them finally get off to a good start and have a healthy lead at the half so that they can work on some things in the second half.

Groce has referred to Trimble as an elite shooter in the past.  They say that shooters have to shoot their way out of slumps but it's painful to watch when he's in one.

• Like 1