BGSU- 1/20/22

clarkwgriswold

The struggling Zips head to Bowling Green Thursday night to face the Falcons.   BG is 8-8 overall and 1-4 in the MAC heading into Tuesday night’s game at DeKalb.

6-6 5th year forward Daqwon Plowden leads the Falcons in scoring and rebounding at 16.4 ppg and 7.3 rpg.  6-9 junior forward Joe Reece is second in scoring and rebounding at 11.7 ppg and 6.1 rpg.  Last year, the Zips beat BG at BG and lost to them at the JAR.

• Like 1

Quick turnaround for both. As I write this post, the Zips finished their game about an hour ago, and the Falcons are about at the half against NIU. Thursday will be an interesting one for sure, would be great to get one on the road especially playing just about the worst non-Florida basketball of the season the last two. 

BG won 92-83 at NIU last night.  Plowden is one of my favorite MAC players.  Athletic and plays hard.  I wish the Zips had a kid like him.

For some unknown reason, I just looked up Taylor Currie.  He's averaging 18.4 ppg and 8.1 rpg at Harding University.  I'm not implying he would have done anything here, but it is interesting to see what happens to kids like that.

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

BG won 92-83 at NIU last night.  Plowden is one of my favorite MAC players.  Athletic and plays hard.  I wish the Zips had a kid like him.

For some unknown reason, I just looked up Taylor Currie.  He's averaging 18.4 ppg and 8.1 rpg at Harding University.  I'm not implying he would have done anything here, but it is interesting to see what happens to kids like that.

Have time to look up how Marshall is doing? (I'm drawing a blank on his first name.)  I think we miss him more than Curry (Though I had Curry pegged for 2nd Team All-MAC last year 😂😭😭)

22 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Have time to look up how Marshall is doing? (I'm drawing a blank on his first name.)  I think we miss him more than Curry (Though I had Curry pegged for 2nd Team All-MAC last year 😂😭😭)

Torrey Patton might help now too.  That's the nature of the game.   I wish the kids well.

I realized last night that the 3 point shooters traditionally drive Zips Nation crazy while we have them..  Trimble, Xeyrius, Josh Williams, Kwan... 

30 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I realized last night that the 3 point shooters traditionally drive Zips Nation crazy while we have them..  Trimble, Xeyrius, Josh Williams, Kwan...

Kwan and Utomi drove me nuts. Kwan for back 2 back MAC title disappearing acts and Utomi for being Trimble-streaky on steroids. Who could forget his 1/14 showing @ Ball State in 2018...

I looked at the stat sheet for the year and a couple of stats surprised me.  First, Ali leads the teams in turnovers with 41.  Obviously, when he dribbles continuously in the lane without making a move to the basket it often gets stripped or he gets in trouble and throws it away.  We have commented how bad Clark has been playing and he has less than half the playing time of Ali and has 21 turnovers so in a way he leads the team in turnovers.  Further, Clark is shooting 30% from the field and 24% from three land.  Trimble has struggled from 3 and shot 40% last year and 30% this year.  The good news is that Ali is hitting 46% from the field and 44% from the 3.  For this team to succeed we need Trimble to get out of his shooting slump and for Ali to stop turning the ball over.  I hate to say it but I have not seen anything from Clark to make me optimistic that he can contribute.  It is so rare to see an athlete go backwards but that seems to be the case.

• Like 2

I hope Michael Huger is still wearing his black latex gloves.  It looks like he's preparing to help a cow give birth.

Here's the BG website preview-

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2022/1/19/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-to-host-akron-thursday-night-at-the-stroh-center.aspx

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Absolutely love Huger, he's got to be one of the most gentle and good people to coach the game of basketball. With that said, that can kind of be his downfall sometimes as he tends to play a set-in-stone rotation to get everyone their playing time. In past years, they've played a big rotation to give the illusion of depth, but they don't have a ton of talent.

Through 5 MAC games, Akron has trailed at the half in all of them. That isn't good. Even with the good start on Tuesday, we saw defense allow 44 points in the first half, albeit on a lot of really tough shots. I don't know what to expect tonight. I just want to see classic tough all around Groce basketball with defense that leads to offense. The Zips have the talent advantage, I want the game to look that way for 40 minutes.

The Falcons opened at -2.

• Like 2

BGSU- 82, UA- 79.   Akron gets behind, makes a run, then BG wins the last 3-4 minutes.

Curious to see former Ohio Mr. Basketball Samari Curtis.   He started at Nebraska then went to Evansville and is now at BG.   Looking at the BG's box scores he's had some big games and some games where he has disappeared.  Hopefully, the Zips will be able to keep him from getting on track. 

Edited by clarkwgriswold

58 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

BGSU- 82, UA- 79.   Akron gets behind, makes a run, then BG wins the last 3-4 minutes.

solid prediction based on history.  Plowden takes over in the last few minutes.  Freeman fouls out.  First 10-12 minutes Zips shoot 20-22% from the field and 1 of 12 from 3.  On a positive note, Zips have won 30 of last 35 meetings.

EDIT:  Aziz and Freeman get hacked a few times early on and go 1-4 from the charity stripe.

(I think that covers it)

Edited by NWAkron
  • Haha 1

From the lame BG message board:

Re: vs. Akron (1/20)

Post by Matty B » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 am

This ain't your father's Akron team coming into the Stroh tonight. They are nowhere near as good as their record indicates. Very winnable game tonight and we match up well against them, in the sense that they dont have a dominant PG and Plowden should be able to shut down their best offensive player, Ali Ali.

I tried watching the 2ne half of their game vs a bad WMU team on Tuesday and legit fell asleep. Did read that they needed an 11-0 run late in the game to eek out a 1 point win at home vs the Broncos.

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This ain't your father's Akron team coming into the Stroh tonight. They are nowhere near as good as their record indicates. Very winnable game tonight and we match up well against them, in the sense that they dont have a dominant PG and Plowden should be able to shut down their best offensive player, Ali Ali.

I tried watching the 2ne half of their game vs a bad WMU team on Tuesday and legit fell asleep. Did read that they needed an 11-0 run late in the game to eek out a 1 point win at home vs the Broncos.

Weird take from a BG fan, that’s for sure. 

17 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Weird take from a BG fan, that’s for sure. 

WMU was one of those games where you had to be there to understand what occurred.  If you only look at WMU's record and didn't read the pre-game article which warned about these two amazing guards being 100% and ready to go, then his take is spot on.  I will follow tonight's score on the lap top.  Maybe catch replay on espn3 if they pull off an unexpected win.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Rodgers.jpg

• Like 2