EMU- 1/22/22

clarkwgriswold

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm not giving back the win but damn, this is one of the most frustrating Zips hoops teams in recent memory.

I'll still take a frustrating 5-2 team. Always seems to be an ugly game against EMU. I can't remember the last time I saw an EMU Akron game and thought wow that was really a beautiful game. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDZip said:

I'll still take a frustrating 5-2 team. Always seems to be an ugly game against EMU. I can't remember the last time I saw an EMU Akron game and thought wow that was really a beautiful game. 😂

I wasn't expecting as much 2-3 zone as we saw.  I thought that was buried with Rob Murphy.  That always gums things up

• Like 1

Way too close for comfort. Lots of big open 3s missed by Trimble in the 2H, but a win is a win is a win. Great second half D, very impressive. This team is so tough to figure out, but I wasn’t expecting to get all three Ws this week the way they’ve been playing. EMU is tough and they’ve got the right coach to turn that thing around. 

Keep it rolling, on to Mt. P. Go Zips!

6 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Physical teams have caused us trouble all year. Poster board material for the weight room in the off-season, especially for Ali, Freeman and Aziz.

Agreed and this is disappointing to me. During the years of X1.0, LCJ, Cheese, Banks, etc., I thought the program took great strides in the off-seasons with strength & conditioning. Disappointed to see most of the guys in this group the same size as last year. 

• Like 1

I guess a fugly win is as good as a blowout in the standings.

It's best to just tuck that away somewhere, and hopefully use CMU to get back on track.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

They found a way. Groce on the post game was much happier about the controllable things than Tuesday, but obviously execution was awful. 

Looking closer at the stat sheet, tonight it is as alarming as it has been all year the lack of depth. The only two bench points tonight came from a pair of Aziz free throws. Dawson turned in a poor performance overall and Clarke missed an open 3 that would’ve been really good for him with how he’s playing. I don’t think it’s possible for a team that runs with this little depth to win a MAC tournament, which has become my biggest concern. All the pieces were there at the start of the season, but significant ones have fallen off the ship and I’m very uneasy about this team moving forward. 

I may start to change my mind if they can win a pair this week, but at this point CMU scares me to death with how up and down the shooting and execution has been. Every game is the same I guess, just control what you can control. 

I am in the minority but I really enjoyed the game.  First, the refs let them play.  Very few whistles and very few foul shots.  Both teams missed the front end on a one and one at crucial time.  

Very physical game.  Because the refs did not blow the whistle, a lot of bumping and grinding.  Although the Zips were the smaller team in both stature, weight and muscle, they won the battle of the boards.

The Zips worked really hard on defense.  When an Eastern player was about to get an offensive rebound, Tribble climbed his back and prohibited from scoring.  They forced Eastern into a bad shooting night

We won another close game.  How many Zips team have failed to close a game.  We just closed 2 close games in 5 days.

Finally, a decent crowd.  A first for the Zips season, a line in the men's room to take a leak!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2