Central Michigan- 1/25/22

clarkwgriswold

The Zips visit Mount Pleasant Tuesday to play one of the few teams left with a native American team name.  The Chippewas are dismal 2-12 and haven’t played since January 11th.

Jermaine Jackson Jr. leads the Chipps at a mere 11.4 ppg.  Ralph BIssainthe leads rebounding at 7.1 rpg. Their two wins are against PCCC and Eastern Illinois.  In their last game on January 11th they lost by 31 (99-68) to Eastern Michigan.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Their two wins are against Olivet and Eastern Illinois.  In their last game on January 11th they lost by 31 (99-68) to Eastern Michigan.

Olivet was an exhibition game. Their second win was against PCCC in Kent, so they have been able to do something this season that the Zips were not. 

• Like 1

CMU is in a real position of rebuilding.  They have a new head coach, Tony Barbee who was an assistant at Kentucky and before that had head-coaching stops at Auburn and UTEP.  The team has 12 players who were not on last year's roster.  

They have four returnees, including starters Ralph Bissainthe and Audre Polk. Polk, a 6-foot-10 sophomore from Detroit who was on the All-MAC Freshman Team last year. 

They have really struggled so far.  Looking at the MAC stats, they are 11th in points scored per game and 12th in points surrendered per game.  They are last in point margin at -19.4 per game.  They are last in field goal percentage, opponent field goal percentage, rebounds per game and  rebounds per game margin. They also have trouble with turnovers and are 11th in TO margin.  They are first in 3 point percentage.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

CMU is in a real position of rebuilding.  They have a new head coach, Tony Barbee who was an assistant at Kentucky and before that had head-coaching stops at Auburn and UTEP.  The team has 12 players who were not on last year's roster.  

They have four returnees, including starters Ralph Bissainthe and Audre Polk. Polk, a 6-foot-10 sophomore from Detroit who was on the All-MAC Freshman Team last year. 

They have really struggled so far.  Looking at the MAC stats, they are 11th in points scored per game and 12th in points surrendered per game.  They are last in point margin at -19.4 per game.  They are last in field goal percentage, opponent field goal percentage, rebounds per game and  rebounds per game margin. They also have trouble with turnovers and are 11th in TO margin.  They are first in 3 point percentage.

The one area that CMU is strong is in 3-point shooting. They're first in the MAC in 3P%, meanwhile, we're 9th in the MAC in defending against the 3 ball. We will need to be able to run them off the 3 point line otherwise they might be able to hang around with the 3 ball much like WMU did against us.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

The one area that CMU is strong is in 3-point shooting. They're first in the MAC in 3P%, meanwhile, we're 9th in the MAC in defending against the 3 ball. We will need to be able to run them off the 3 point line otherwise they might be able to hang around with the 3 ball much like WMU did against us.

It's a little odd in that they are number one in 3 point percentage but in the bottom half of threes made per game.  

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Nice article on Ali

For all those George Thomas critics, here is a nice relevant article on the Zips.  Ali needs to be a consistent scorer for this team to win.  Trimble is going to have his on and off games.  We can win when he is off but we cannot win if both he and Ali struggle offensively.

• Like 1

The Zips are currently 13-point favorites heading into this one. I don't see any reason why it would be too much of a struggle, but we all know how this group can be so hard to figure out. I would like to see a nice enough lead for the guys on the bench to come in and get significant minutes to give the starters rest ahead of their biggest test of the season on Friday, and I would simply like to see Clarke develop as a leader on the floor. I know he can do it, he had so many great moments last year. But it's been slim to none this year. Also, I've really liked what I've seen from Aziz, so continuing to grow him can add another wrinkle that teams will have to worry about moving forward.

With all of that said, this is just a place that's never easy to win at. Between the bus ride being so long and the weather being so brutal even by Akron standards, a few good Zip teams have gone on road trips to abysmal Directional Michigan schools and come back with embarrassing losses. Go Zips!

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

The Zips are currently 13-point favorites heading into this one. I don't see any reason why it would be too much of a struggle, but we all know how this group can be so hard to figure out. I would like to see a nice enough lead for the guys on the bench to come in and get significant minutes to give the starters rest ahead of their biggest test of the season on Friday, and I would simply like to see Clarke develop as a leader on the floor. I know he can do it, he had so many great moments last year. But it's been slim to none this year. Also, I've really liked what I've seen from Aziz, so continuing to grow him can add another wrinkle that teams will have to worry about moving forward.

With all of that said, this is just a place that's never easy to win at. Between the bus ride being so long and the weather being so brutal even by Akron standards, a few good Zip teams have gone on road trips to abysmal Directional Michigan schools and come back with embarrassing losses. Go Zips!

CMU is desperate at this point.  They got nothing to lose.  Their record is terrible, and they lost their best player.   And they haven't had competition in weeks.  Their last game was 31 point loss to EMU.  This would be a total collapse and fail if the Zips lose this one.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

CMU is desperate at this point.  They got nothing to lose.  Their record is terrible, and they lost their best player.   And they haven't had competition in weeks.  Their last game was 31 point loss to EMU.  This would be a total collapse and fail if the Zips lose this one.

Agreed, but yet our Zips seem to play to the level of the competition.  

• Like 1