Toledo- 1/28/22

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head west to face the league leading 16-4 Toledo Rockets Friday night.  The game is being broadcast on CBS Sports Network (grrrrr).

6’4” sophomore guard Ryan Rollins leads the Sprockets and the MAC in scoring at 19.4 ppg going into the Buffalo game.   Rollins was a member of last year’s All-MAC Freshman Team, starting every game, and was an All-MAC first teamer in the pre-season poll.  He just had 25 points, 11 boards and 5 assists against Buffalo. He is as good of a player as I have seen in the MAC this year.  6’7” junior forward JT Shumate leads the team in rebounding at 6.5 rpg and is second on scoring at 15.3 ppg.  

1 hour ago, zipsrule said:

In our last two games we've score 60 and 46.  It's going to take more than that to keep up with Toledo's offense.  Hopefully, Trimble and others can make a few threes.

We absolutely cannot afford one of our patent slow starts.  If we don't come out hitting on all cylinders Toledo's gonna run away with this thing early.

We don't have a prayer if we get an ice-cold Trimble.

If Trimble comes out cold against UT, should we consider bringing him off the bench?  Start Dawson?

• Like 1

I watched some of the Toledo-Buffalo game last night during Toledo's second half run when they pulled away and all I could think was "damn, they're good."  They are not unbeatable but they really seem to be hitting their stride.  As Blue & Gold stated, the Zips can't have one of their slow starts because unlike the awful directionals Toledo will keep their foot on the accelerator and pull away.

I am afraid if they yank Trimble from the starting lineup that it may ruin his psyche for the rest of the season.

They will really need to get a handle on Rollins Friday.  Some of the league's top guards, Sears, Williams, Carry and White, have had their way with the Zips and Rollins is as good as any of them.  He's also coming off a MAC player of the week and had 25 points, 11 boards and 5 assists against Canada.  

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I watched some of the Toledo-Buffalo game last night during Toledo's second half run when they pulled away and all I could think was "damn, they're good."  They are not unbeatable but they really seem to be hitting their stride.  As Blue & Gold stated, the Zips can't have one of their slow starts because unlike the awful directionals Toledo will keep their foot on the accelerator and pull away.

I am afraid if they yank Trimble from the starting lineup that it may ruin his psyche for the rest of the season.

They will really need to get a handle on Rollins Friday.  Some of the league's top guards, Sears, Williams, Carry and White, have had their way with the Zips and Rollins is as good as any of them.  He's also coming off a MAC player of the week and had 25 points, 11 boards and 5 assists against Canada.  

Curious as to who they stick on Rollins. I know I'd like it to be Tribble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Agree.  I'm hoping they run plays early specifically for Trimble on ball screens.  He's an amazing shooter when he comes off a screen, turns and squares his shoulders without thinking about it.  Much better shooter in those situations than he is spot up, wide open.  Get him that confidence early, and maybe we'll see 10 brush through the nylon again.

Edited by RowdyZip

Toledo produces good regular season teams and a bad tournament teams.   I looked at the MAC stats for minutes played:  Ali is #6 and Castaneda is # 7 behind two Kent players, Sears, Segu, and Lamar Norman.  Toledo players pop up around #15 and higher.   I noticed Toledo will sub in 4 at a time.  Akron does not have a good record against Toledo and last won up there in 2013?  I don't expect much out of this game.  Circled it as a loss.  Agree with everyone, if Trimble is hitting the 3, the Zips have a good chance.

Also, Toledo is leading in almost every statistical category.  "Amazing' how they've done this while losing the Jackson's and the guy with the man bun.  I've always thought something was rotten in the Glass City.

Edited by NWAkron

1 minute ago, RowdyZip said:

Agree.  I'm hoping they run plays early specifically for Trimble on ball screens.  He's an amazing shooter when he comes off a screen, turns and squares his shoulders without thinking about it.  Much better shooter in those situations than he is spot up, wide open.  Get him that confidence early, and maybe we'll see 10 brush through the nylon again.

I disagree, Dawson brings more with more energy & he should be rewarded bc of it. Trimble can still go 0-8 from the bench. The role of a coach isn't to be the good guy, it's to win! One good game paired with several abysmal ones doesn't warrant a spot in the starting lineup. Negative minutes = slow start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Curious as to who they stick on Rollins. I know I'd like it to be Tribble.

We said the same about Tribble guarding Insincere Carry & were left disappointed in the coaches’ seeming lack of defensive game plan and/or in-game adjustments. Still a little salty at Groce & Co. over that.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Clearly, the excitement is building for this one.    Looks like Toledo and Ohio will end up on top and Zips may be looking at a 4th or 5th seed and a first round game against Kent or Buffalo.   Eliminating those first round games puts the pressure on really fast

Indeed. Every team that makes it to Cleveland is tough.  Me like.

5 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Toledo opens as a 10-point favorite. I'm curious as to the last time Akron was a double-digit dog to a MAC team.

Certainly against Buffalo during their Top 20 year.

Of course, in the last 5 games, Akron's been way off the spread (if that's the term for it)

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Clearly, the excitement is building for this one.    Looks like Toledo and Ohio will end up on top and Zips may be looking at a 4th or 5th seed and a first round game against Kent or Buffalo.   Eliminating those first round games puts the pressure on really fast

Or we could win tomorrow and put ourselves in the race for the 1 seed.

• Like 3

As much as I enjoy watching a ton of Zips basketball, I think fatigue really showed itself against CMU. We had way too many lazy passes and just didn't value every possession. Add the fact that CMU played like a team that hadn't seen the court in a couple of weeks with a few mind-numbing calls and you get some ugly basketball. Yet we escaped again. We are like the Great Houdini pulling off the impossible.

That isn't going to cut it against Toledo. We have to be very sharp and play with purpose. Our guys have it in them. It helps that according to the GoZips schedule there is a full week off after this game. So leave it all on the court fellas and hope for a good shooting night.

Prediction: Pain. (Just kidding) All I want is a competitive game to the end. Go Zips!!

Edited by Illini Zip

I'm taking Toledo and giving up the points because ...

• Toledo looked very good against OU in Athens the only chance I had to watch them this year.
  • It's at their place and we generally haven't fared to well over there.
  • We're inconsistent as hell.
  • Looking/playing like crap tonight puts them right where we want them when we play them again in March in CLE.

Go Zips BUT Toledo takes it 70 ... 61.

We go as Trimble goes. The last good team we played was Kent...and we were run off the floor. Trimble was 1-9 from behind the arc (2-12 overall).

If we omit the statistical anomaly of the 10-14 BG game, in his other 5 most-recent games he's a combined 5-39 from 3-point land. That's 13% over 5 games!? Even if you include that 10-14 performance against BG, he's still only 28% from three over 6 games. For the volume he shoots, that's a killer. Our rebounding suffers when balls are careening off the iron from 25 feet away.

The Zips are good enough to eek out games against lower competition when Trimble is off. But if he hangs another 1-9 game against Toledo, we'll get smoked. 

Prediction: If Trimble hits 5+ 3's, we win. Anything less and the bus ride home ain't no fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1