2022 Spring Schedule

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is this an NCAA thing or did these programs just get together on their own?  What is this?

I think this is more of the latter.  And it is not the only one of its kind.

https://umterps.com/news/2022/1/17/mens-soccer-announces-2022-spring-schedule.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointed this schedule doesn't have more to do with the Spring League.  We only play each team from our North Division once and don't play any teams at all from the South Division unless we make the Spring League Championship match.  I.e., we're not really creating any sense of rivalry with the teams in the Spring League.

Edited by Blue & Gold

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Disappointed this schedule doesn't have more to do with the Spring League.  We only play each team from our North Division once and don't play any teams at all from the South Division unless we make the Spring League Championship match.  I.e., we're not really creating any sense of rivalry with the teams in the Spring League.

That’s not entirely true. From what I have heard, we play the team who finishes the same position in the south that we finish on our side. 

For example, we win the league, we play the south winner. If we finish 2nd, we play the 2nd team. Etc. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I noticed one of those is against Malone so maybe it’s to get our young players some PT?

yes, most definitely....trying to get some playing time for the guys 15 to 30 on the depth chart

they are doing the same thing on April 10...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, oldzip said:

Did the Zips play yesterday? If so, did anybody see them and how did they look? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Nothing on GoZips dot com & nothing on Twitter. I see we’re not to be taking the spring season seriously. 🙄😑

46 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Nothing on GoZips dot com & nothing on Twitter. I see we’re not to be taking the spring season seriously. 🙄😑

Not at all the case.  Match was very competitive, often contentious, throughout.  There was even a bench-clearing shoving fiesta at the end.  This victory matters in the seeding of this tournament in April.  There are stakes.  The lack of SID coverage is THEIR fault, not the team’s, not the fans’.  You would have been correct in any previous season, but not now.  College Soccer is evolving, with or without the NCAA.  Too bad our SID is not clued in.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Not at all the case.  Match was very competitive, often contentious, throughout.  There was even a bench-clearing shoving fiesta at the end.  This victory matters in the seeding of this tournament in April.  There are stakes.  The lack of SID coverage is THEIR fault, not the team’s, not the fans’.  You would have been correct in any previous season, but not now.  College Soccer is evolving, with or without the NCAA.  Too bad our SID is not clued in.

I think the SID is what he was referring to. Marketing at the U is anything but stellar across the board. 

@fknbufloboDo you have any idea what the "Coming Soon" tweet was about from the other day?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think the SID is what he was referring to. Marketing at the U is anything but stellar across the board. 

@fknbufloboDo you have any idea what the "Coming Soon" tweet was about from the other day?

No.  But I sure am curious.

47 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

28 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

No.  But I sure am curious.

New Zips logo, perhaps?

CSU 2-4 AKR FT

Some regulars disappointed, but I choose to focus on the players who excelled. 

Jonas Buechte continues where he left off at Holding MF.  He is quietly among the best players on the team, winning balls, cutting out passes, disrupting opposition offence, starting Zips offence.  CB is probably his best position, but he is our best option at HMF.  Those who do not recognize his contribution are not paying attention.

Newcomer Joel Sangwa is the real deal at Centre Back.  He organizes the Defense well.  He anticipates the attack well.  He is a judicious and effective tackler.  Good speed.  Good in the air.  Good size.  His passing could improve.

Dyson Clapier continues to improve right before our eyes.  Though not yet our best player, he is arguably the most talented.  In this victory he took another developmental step toward becoming a dominant offensive force.  Dice just does things most players cannot do, things most do not even try.  Consistency throughout the match is his struggle.  Oh yeah, he scored 3 goals.

ACFC 0-7 AKR FT

Full disclosure:  I left midway through 2nd half.

Props to Akron City for providing cannon fodder for Zips' bench - after existing for 2 whole weeks.

Levi Stephens is speedy, light on his feet and decisive.  He has been coached very well.  His passing shows real purpose and precision.  Levi scored on a corner kick header and nearly scored on another just like it.  But his well-timed overlapping runs and accurate crosses are what impressed most.  I am not sure who will lose playing time, but Levi will see significant first team PT soon.

Stefan Dobrijevic is a definite Forward through and through.  He plays well with back to the goal, receiving all manner of balls efficiently.  He also displayed a variety of shooting skills.  Not at all afraid to shoot.  Oh yeah, I understand that he scored 3 goals, though I did not see them all.  Stefan will also get minutes with first team very soon.

I would be remiss in not mentioning Josh Hallenberger. He showed flashes of brilliance in both matches.  I need to see more of him.

Edited by fknbuflobo
forgetfullness
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4