2022 Spring Schedule

We had a good spring start against Cleveland State. Jared is high on this team. Another reason to be excited is that more defensive help may coming from Europe over the summer.

• Like 2

Fknbuflobo and Zip_ME87....thanks for reports from the games in Cleveland.

Home game...this Sunday afternoon...the 13th....against the Woverines...go, Zips

72Roo....very encouraged to hear about possible additional defensive help from Europe

.deleted ... March 13, 2022 match v Michigan moved to Cleveland per twitter...see next post

Edited by Zip_ME87

A very good team victory, in which everyone who played contributed.

Jonas Buechte was again outstanding, this time from Center Back position.  He organized the Defense, intercepted passes, and made several key tackles that halted counter attacks.  He even scored off a restart. 

Malik Henry was a monster up and down the right flank.  His defending was uncharacteristically solid, breaking up opposing offence down the Zips' right.  But his half dozen over-lapping runs into the final third were lethal.  And unlike last week, his crossing was money.  Ryan Kingsford's score was a direct result of Henry's excellent cross.

Dyson Clapier again terrorized the opposition defense with well-timed runs and scoring attempts down the left.  He was a bit unlucky to have not scored a few times, having beaten his man to goal.   He should have finished on at least one of those.  Better shooting from Clapier would have ended the match as a contest in the first half.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

RMU 2-3 AKR FT

Presumably due to sloppy conditions, match moved to Joe Walton Field where Robert Morris plays FB, LAX, FH, but not Soccer.  There are lines all over the place, none applicable to soccer.  And the width is less than 60 yards.  It was weird playing with what I think is a LAX Penalty Area.  Is the GK out?  Who knows!?  Like everything else in Pittsburgh, the field is built into the side of a mountain.  Easily a dozen balls were sent over the fence during play, possibly gone forever.

Malik Henry continues to shine along the right flank with speedy overlapping runs out of defense.  What is improving rapidly is his service into the box.  The first score of the match was just such a run capped by a (no exaggeration) world class cross onto the head of Jason Shokalook for the score.  Sublime!

Ryan Kingsford is the Zips' best option at several positions, but his most natural place is in the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, or in "the hole" as some say.  His work rate is off the charts and he sprays the ball all over the pitch with a variety of passing techniques.  Kingsford probably passed the ball to every single Zip who saw time.

Freshman Stefan Dobrijevic again impressed off the bench, slotting in the winning goal with a right footer to the far post from the left side of goal.

Extra drama mid way through the second half when Head Coach Jared Embick was tossed from the match for (justifiably) berating the near side linesman.  Not sure, but I think Will Jackson may have been tossed as well.  At any rate, WilJax did not return after exiting.  It was fairly intense for spring soccer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @fknbuflobo. Fun afternoon/evening in Pittsburgh supporting the Zips in their 3-2 exhibition win over RMU and then attending a 2-0 Riverhounds win over Loudoun. Great catching up with Robby Dambrot and Shane Wiedt and their families. Especially enjoyed talking with Keith, Donna, and Alysse Dambot whom I miss around Akron. 

• Like 2

BUGS has the schedule for the games in Columbus on April 16 ...

Columbus, Ohio, Crew Stadium

Description

BGSU Men's Soccer vs College Spring League Final Games - Matches at 9:30 am, 12:00 pm, 2:30 pm & 5:00 pm

https://m.bgsu.edu/device/small-spider/athletics_calendar/detail?category=men&sport=soccer&feed=men_soccer_calendar&id=vcal_13087-www.bgsufalcons.com|20220416T000001&calendarMode=list&startdate=24-03-2022+T000000

Edited by Zip_ME87

College Spring League North Standings

Akron 

4-2 W v Cleveland State

3-1 W v Michigan

TBD v BGSU April 10

BUGS 

2-0 W v Cleveland State 

1-1 T v Michigan

TBD at Akron April 10

Michigan 

1-3 L v Akron

1-1 T v BGSU

TBD v Cleveland State

Cleveland State 

2-4 L v Akron

0-2 L v BGSU

TBD v Michigan

BUGS got 2 points for this and Michigan got 1. UGH!!! Why not use FIFA rules for points and tiebreakers? Why go to pk's? I don't get it.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Dayton
2-1 W v Louisville
0-1 L v Marshall

Louisville
1-2 L v Dayton
1-2 L v Ohio State

Marshall
1-0 W v Dayton
0-0 T v Ohio State

Ohio State
2-1 W v Louisville
0-0 T v Marshall

Edited by Zip_ME87

NHL Points system has come to NCAA soccer.  It's not so bad over the course of a long season, but for these mini seasons that could really throw things off.

No-draw soccer seems a little odd, I can't stand PKs because it turns a team game into an individual skills challenge.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I despise PKs. Soccer has a perfectly good point system and tiebreaker system. Why make up a new system that rewards teams for parking the bus and taking a game to PKs. Beyond awful!

• Like 2

Scenarios for the match v BUGS.

Goal Differential

Akron (7 for, 3 against): 4

BUGS (3 for, 1 against): 2

Akron W,  Akron wins group

Akron 9 pts  

BUGS 5 pts 

BUGS W, BUGS wins group

Akron 6 pts

BUGS 8 pts

Draw, Akron wins PKs, Akron wins group

Akron 8 pts

BUGS 6 pts

Draw, BUGS wins PKs, Akron wins group if goal differential (4-2) or total wins in regulation (2-1) is the tiebreaker

Akron 7 pts

BUGS 7 pts

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps the College Spring League is following MLSNEXT Pro rules...

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/standings/#season=2022&live=true

Shootouts

• All matches that end in a tie will be followed by a penalty kick shootout
• Both teams will receive 1 point for the tie
• The winner of the shootout will receive one additional point

Tiebreakers

1. Total Number of Wins (in regulation)

2. Goal Differential

3. Goals For

4. Shootout Wins

5. Away Goals Differential

6. Away Goals For

7. Home Goals Differential

8. Home Goals For

9. Fewest Disciplinary Points

10. Coin Toss (tie of two Clubs) or Drawing of Lots (tie of three or more Clubs)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1