2022 Spring Schedule

ME_87, thank you for the posts on the spring league playoff games. Even though I live near the capital city I could not be there due to travel in Florida. I'm sure you represented well for all of us. The five goal explosion give hope that the Zips have sorted out their decision making and are ready to score on anyone who dares gives them space. The videos showed we can counter from anywhere on the field. Things are looking better. Can't wait for the fall.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

ME_87, thank you for the posts on the spring league playoff games. Even though I live near the capital city I could not be there due to travel in Florida. I'm sure you represented well for all of us. The five goal explosion give hope that the Zips have sorted out their decision making and are ready to score on anyone who dares gives them space. The videos showed we can counter from anywhere on the field. Things are looking better. Can't wait for the fall.

we had better figure out how to get away from the stupid passing in the back or we’re not going to win low scoring or close games. It’s one thing to build from the back and to pass back with purpose, but for some reason these players often see little urgency when they do it. Indecisive and too many touches. I can’t say it any other way than insanity. I get so angry watching it. 🤬

Edited by Zip_ME87

AKR 5-2 DAY FT

A bright and gusty day at Historic Crew Stadium.

Congratulations to the entire Zips MSOC organization for dramatically rebounding from last week's disappointment.

A resounding victory over a quality foe is a fine way to enter the off-season, on a decidedly positive note.  It is not just the win; the momentum throughout the match was all Akron's.  This contest was never really in doubt.  There are still things on which to improve, to be discussed at another time.  Well done, Zips!!

Jason Shokalook was the not only the Man Of The Match, he was also the most dominant player on the pitch, turning in arguably his best performance to date wearing the Blue & Vegas.  Shookie scored twice before many spectators had settled in the bleachers.  He showed an insatiable desire to transform any offensive thrust into a scoring chance, both with his back to goal and by dribbling at defenders.  Jason's assist to Clapier was efficient and accurate.  Shokalook's offensive production was relentless until he was pulled from the match with about ten minutes remaining, the match result already determined.  When Shokalook plays like this, Zips are very dangerous.

Jonas Buechte was again very quietly a defensive stalwart at Center Back.  His distribution was not always as precise as he shown, but his tackling and intercepting were superb.  Buechte reads the game very well, superior to most at this level.  Buechte's running mate Joel Sangwa also logged in a quite solid shift at Center Back.  Sangwa is very composed on the ball.  These two complement each other well and this tandem should be the preferred CB pairing going forward, with Will Portman spelling each as necessary.

Dyson Clapier was again a continuous offensive threat employing both his athleticism and guile.  He scored off a fine floor pass from Shokalook, taking a few touches to set up a right footer into the top of the goal.  In scoring, Dice captured  the tournament's Golden Boot with a tally of five.

Malik Henry once again was excellent along the right flank, getting into the final third and delivering quality service.  In doing so, he recorded another assist to Stefan Dobrijevic, but easily could have had several assists in similar fashion.  His defensive tactics and execution continue to improve.

Mitch Budler is either emerging as #1 GK, or he already has the position solidified.  Budler really took a developmental step forward in this match.  He is fearless, and he is a tough customer when he gets there.  He is becoming a physical presence in the box, and opposing forwards are starting to clock Budler's proximity before taking action.  He is only about 6'2" high but he is broad shouldered and solidly built.  He ain't scared of nobody!  Budler has a big foot; his Goal Kicks routinely clear the circle on the opposite side.  And he can clear with either foot, an underrated GK skill.  Mitch still has plenty of room to improve, especially regarding judicious distribution, but he is well on his way.

Wan Kuzri Wan Kamal put in a yeoman's match at Defensive Mid Field.  He was persistent and consistent with winning balls and distributing.  He is surely sore today, having sustained double digit fouls, counting only the whistles.  I think he may have gone the full 90.

Zips got a fine performance from perhaps an unexpected source.  Will Jackson left the match due to injury just before HT.  Nick Scott filled in nicely at LB, cutting out passes, tackling, and sometimes man marking Flyer's most dangerous threat.  He turned in possibly his best performance as a Zip.  Good Job, Nick!

Great way to wrap up Spring.  Have a good off season!  Rest up!  July will be here before we know it.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

Thanks @fknbuflobo. Fun afternoon/evening in Pittsburgh supporting the Zips in their 3-2 exhibition win over RMU and then attending a 2-0 Riverhounds win over Loudoun. Great catching up with Robby Dambrot and Shane Wiedt and their families. Especially enjoyed talking with Keith, Donna, and Alysse Dambot whom I miss around Akron. 

Robby Dambrot is now with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Robby Dambrot is now with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds

Exactly. Robbie Dambrot, Shane Wiedt, and their team, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, beat Loudoun 2-0 that evening (after our Zips won at Robert Morris).    

• Like 1