Class of the MAC

MDZip

So last night on the CMU broadcast the announcers referred to the Zips as the "Class of the MAC". So I wondered how true that was so I went back and looked up the stats (I am retiring in two more days so I have the time at work 😂). So I did a spreadsheet over the last ten years not counting this year (I didn't want to cherry pick and make sure I included all of Akron's titles since 2009) and these are the results:

Team                   Avg Wins     Avg Losses      Regular Season Titles      Tournament Titles                                                                                      Winning Seasons

Buffalo                         11.9                   5.6                                2.33                                  4                                                                                                                9

Akron                           11.5                    6.1                                  4.5                                  1 (also first seed when the tournament was vacated)                             7 

Toledo                          10.8                  6.9                                   1.5                                  0                                                                                                                6

Kent                               9.9                   7.7                                 0.33                                  1 (bastards 😂)                                                                                          7

Ohio                               9.3                   7.9                                   0.5                                  2 (double bastards 😄)                                                                             6

BGSU                             8.6                   9.0                                     0                                   0 (since 1968)                                                                                          5

EMU                               7.9                   9.3                                      0                                   0                                                                                                               3

WMU                              7.9                   9.5                                   0.5                                   1                                                                                                                4

Ball St                             7.4                 10.1                                       0                                   0                                                                                                               4

CMU                               6.7                 10.7                                 0.33                                   0                                                                                                               3  

NIU                                 6.5                 10.7                                      0                                   0                                                                                                               1

Miami                              6.3                 11.2                                      0                                   0                                                                                                                1

Kind of shocking to me that Miami is worse than everyone in the west. Their sole winning season was last year at 9-8. A lot of the West teams winning season are like 10-8, 11-7 records. And without the NCCA success Ohio is sort of a middling MAC team (but sadly I do expect that is changing under Boals).  But from all of this its clear to me that the class of the MAC over the past decade has been Buffalo. Their one losing season was 7-9 a decade ago. With that and their NCAA tournament success I think it's pretty clear they have been the #1 team. If we sneak it back three more years and grab two more of the Zips tournament titles then maybe we have an argument. :-) 

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 4

Miami struggles shouldn't be that surprising. They played much tougher schedules than the West teams. The MAC has since moved away from divisions so moving forward that won't be an issue. Also, with a 20 game conference slate the schedules are now more balanced.

Akron 5 years ago was the class of the MAC. Before us it was Kent and before Kent it was Miami. I'd say Buffalo as of now is, but that will change. The MAC has no "blue bloods" and all schools have similar resources. You will see the best teams at the top cycle between one another instead of 1-2 teams dominating the conference for an extended period of time

Edited by kreed5120

23 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

It's probably buffalo right now. And we're right there. Go back five more years and it moves heavily Akron I'd say

@kreed5120 good point on Miami. Had they been playing west teams twice a year back then I'm sure their record would have been much better. 

So just for fun I went back just for Akron and Buffalo another five years and it does tilt toward Akron but only if you go the full five. Another three gives Akron 2 tournament titles and the Bulls 1/2 of a regular season title but they are neck and neck in wins and losses. Adding the two more years at Akron 11-5 and 13-3 and Buffalo 3-13 and 4-12 does tilt the scale more heavily toward Akron. So lets go with Class of the <whatever> means you have to go back 15 years 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

So last night on the CMU broadcast the announcers referred to the Zips as the "Class of the MAC". So I wondered how true that was so I went back and looked up the stats (I am retiring in two more days so I have the time at work 😂). So I did a spreadsheet over the last ten years not counting this year (I didn't want to cherry pick and make sure I included all of Akron's titles since 2009) and these are the results:

Team                   Avg Wins     Avg Losses      Regular Season Titles      Tournament Titles                                                                                      Winning Seasons

Buffalo                         11.9                   5.6                                2.33                                  4                                                                                                                9

Akron                           11.5                    6.1                                  4.5                                  1 (also first seed when the tournament was vacated)                             7 

Toledo                          10.8                  6.9                                   1.5                                  0                                                                                                                6

Kent                               9.9                   7.7                                 0.33                                  1 (bastards 😂)                                                                                          7

Ohio                               9.3                   7.9                                   0.5                                  2 (double bastards 😄)                                                                             6

BGSU                             8.6                   9.0                                     0                                   0 (since 1968)                                                                                          5

EMU                               7.9                   9.3                                      0                                   0                                                                                                               3

WMU                              7.9                   9.5                                   0.5                                   1                                                                                                                4

Ball St                             7.4                 10.1                                       0                                   0                                                                                                               4

CMU                               6.7                 10.7                                 0.33                                   0                                                                                                               3  

NIU                                 6.5                 10.7                                      0                                   0                                                                                                               1

Miami                              6.3                 11.2                                      0                                   0                                                                                                                1

Kind of shocking to me that Miami is worse than everyone in the west. Their sole winning season was last year at 9-8. A lot of the West teams winning season are like 10-8, 11-7 records. And without the NCCA success Ohio is sort of a middling MAC team (but sadly I do expect that is changing under Boals).  But from all of this its clear to me that the class of the MAC over the past decade has been Buffalo. Their one losing season was 7-9 a decade ago. With that and their NCAA tournament success I think it's pretty clear they have been the #1 team. If we sneak it back three more years and grab two more of the Zips tournament titles then maybe we have an argument. 🙂

Good stuff MDZip!  Thanks for doing the research.

Let's not forget though that these were the guys who told us "Defense is a Tony Barbee staple" and "CMU settles into the 2-3 that's been pretty effective this year."  All the while, CMU is the worst defense in the MAC.

I heard the comment on the broadcast (I believe they went back to 2010 or something like that in the comment). It depends on how you define "Class of the MAC". 

If it's defined as "best representative of the MAC" OU & Buffalo have been the Class of the MAC since 2010 based on their NCAA Tourney success (actually representing the MAC well on the National stage). 

If it's defined as "most consistent success in the MAC" Buffalo & Akron have been the Class of the MAC since 2010 (OU a close 3rd I'd say, bookending the date 12 year range). 

Another note regarding Miami - they've been mostly in rebuild mode ever since the LEGENDARY Charlie Coles retired after the 2011-12 season. Haven't been able to find anything consistent after nearly 20 years of consistency with Coles.