Jump to content

2022 League Opponents


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GoZips86 said:

Thursday night season and home opener. Hmm...wish it was a Saturday, but I'll deal with it lol. Should be a WIN!

I'm usually out of town that weekend, so I'm a fan. I imagine many will have off that Friday. Night game, nice weather, easy win, and new coach/players to be excited about. Should be a fun time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LZIp said:

I'm usually out of town that weekend, so I'm a fan. I imagine many will have off that Friday. Night game, nice weather, easy win, and new coach/players to be excited about. Should be a fun time.

 

True, good points! I just got new tailgate stuff too, so I'm going to do it right for the season opener, dammit!! 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Thursday night season and home opener. Hmm...wish it was a Saturday, but I'll deal with it lol. Should be a WIN!

 

EDIT: Also, only 5 home games? 

Hopefully that's a typo.  Thursday night season opener better be on ESPN or ESPN2 if it really is on a Thursday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm usually out of town that weekend, so I'm a fan. I imagine many will have off that Friday. Night game, nice weather, easy win, and new coach/players to be excited about. Should be a fun time.

Why would many have that Friday off?  Labor Day is the following Monday, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, and also remember that the listed MAC games aren't necessarily in chronological order.  They've only released the teams we'll play and whether the game will be home or away.  

 

If the BUGS game does happen to line up as falling on the Saturday after our 3-week road trip, that'd be an ideal Homecoming game.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Why would many have that Friday off?  Labor Day is the following Monday, right?

I'm probably over generalizing, but I always like to turn Holiday weekends into 4 day weekends 😀 Just figure there are some that do the same or there isn't much getting done otherwise. Also the chance that all schools may not be back in session...but admittedly I'm just throwing something that might stick at this point lol

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though it wouldn't benefit our attendance figures this year, I like it when they schedule the KSUcks game earlier in the season before the weather gets nasty.

 

I have the same sentiments with Buffalo & Ohio, but if we play Ohio last game of the year that's a good traditional last regular season rivalry game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

I'm usually out of town that weekend, so I'm a fan. I imagine many will have off that Friday. Night game, nice weather, easy win, and new coach/players to be excited about. Should be a fun time.

You are correct. A lot of people will be taking Friday off as Labor Day is that Monday. Going to a game the first night of an extended weekend sounds like a good time. I'm not a fan of weeknight games, but will give this one a pass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

Thursday night season and home opener. Hmm...wish it was a Saturday, but I'll deal with it lol. Should be a WIN!

 

EDIT: Also, only 5 home games? 

 

I'm good with 5 home games. I like the 3 payday road games at Michigan State, Tennessee and Liberty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoZips88 said:

 

I'm good with 5 home games. I like the 3 payday road games at Michigan State, Tennessee and Liberty.

If UofA is going to be the cultural center of NE Ohio in the fall with the football team being a feature of the University, only 5 home games is unacceptable. There have to be six. I don't care how they get there, but there have to be 6.

 

Three games at Liberty, Tennessee and MSU do nothing to benefit the players, students, alumni, fans and general communities around Akron. Playing games with the primary purpose of cashing checks is morally bankrupt, but we are also talking about athletic directors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GP1 said:

If UofA is going to be the cultural center of NE Ohio in the fall with the football team being a feature of the University, only 5 home games is unacceptable. There have to be six. I don't care how they get there, but there have to be 6.

 

Three games at Liberty, Tennessee and MSU do nothing to benefit the players, students, alumni, fans and general communities around Akron. Playing games with the primary purpose of cashing checks is morally bankrupt, but we are also talking about athletic directors. 


I have been told that Guthrie did all he could to get out of the Liberty game in exchange for a more winnable home game, but the Flames aren’t having it. Conversely, he added the Tennessee game instead of perhaps searching for another home game. 
 

So it would’ve been vs. SFU, @ MSU, @ Liberty, vs. winnable home game but instead we lose out on another home crowd for the new staff while the weather is still nice. A big bummer, if you ask me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:


I have been told that Guthrie did all he could to get out of the Liberty game in exchange for a more winnable home game, but the Flames aren’t having it. Conversely, he added the Tennessee game instead of perhaps searching for another home game. 
 

So it would’ve been vs. SFU, @ MSU, @ Liberty, vs. winnable home game but instead we lose out on another home crowd for the new staff while the weather is still nice. A big bummer, if you ask me. 

I'll give the AD a pass for the schedule next year and ONLY next year. The insanity has to stop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

I'll give the AD a pass for the schedule next year and ONLY next year. The insanity has to stop.

The 2023 OOC schedule is already full, and 3 of the 4 OOC are booked for the following two years (at Kentucky and South Carolina in 2024). Oh and after that we go to Kentucky and Minnesota.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, zippy5 said:

The 2023 OOC schedule is already full, and 3 of the 4 OOC are booked for the following two years (at Kentucky and South Carolina in 2024). Oh and after that we go to Kentucky and Minnesota.

Those are ok. Don't want to see another. Praying one of those schools in each of the years buys out the contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GP1 said:

If UofA is going to be the cultural center of NE Ohio in the fall with the football team being a feature of the University, only 5 home games is unacceptable. There have to be six. I don't care how they get there, but there have to be 6.

 

Three games at Liberty, Tennessee and MSU do nothing to benefit the players, students, alumni, fans and general communities around Akron. Playing games with the primary purpose of cashing checks is morally bankrupt, but we are also talking about athletic directors. 

 

Absolutely agree and my first reaction when talking to my son about next year's schedule was "What do you mean there are only 5 home games?!?" We had prostituted ourselves out in the past and I was happy when we got back to 6 and 6. IF sliding to 5 next year helps set us up a bit better so Joe Mo and staff can do their thing beyond that with a full slate of 6 at home, I'm OK with it. I'm also intrigued by the Liberty game in particular. Decent pay day, nice area of the country for a road trip and who knows ... maybe we can steal one down there. I also like the games at MSU and at Tennessee and plan to take in my first SEC game ever in person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with everyone who is a little sad about only 5 home games. Ideally, I think it should always be 6 home and 6 away. I'll get over it, but it looks like there may only be 3 Saturday home games. If one is on a Thursday, then one would surely be on a Tuesday as typical, yes? 

 

And there's a lot of talk on here about road trips. True, but maybe I'd rather just see them at home for a 6th game then travel to another state to see them live. Just my personal opinion.  

 

NOTE: Now, if they were playing at UNLV, I'd be there!! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's not forget, these games are most often planned out years in advance.  I know we added Tennessee last year, but I think we replaced another $$ game?  Theory at the time was to help pay for getting rid of Arth.  Anyone remember whom was on the slate before UT?

 

But I digress...2023 has the dominoes set up big time if this staff can make the progress we're all hoping for:

image.png.3119c0963fe4d1cc89463f7855355bdc.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...