Miami- 2/4/22 and 2/6/22

clarkwgriswold

Just now, LoyalZIP said:

Only caught a few minutes—was with family and glanced at the phone every once in a while. All I can say is a nice win, another big one Tuesday. I hope to catch the replay of this one over the next couple of days. Anything from Groce on the post game? 

Go Zips!

He was all about Freeman and gave some grief to Wynn...but in a good way.  And talked about schedule next few days 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Here is another question. Why is Miami the sweaters? Asking for a friend.

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think because the school is known as the "preppy" rich kid school.  The Ivy League of the Midwest so they say.  

I believe it’s a play on the above sentiment, plus wasn’t there a Miami player back in the Romeo/Dru/Wood era that sweated profusely during games & would have butt crack sweat showing through his shorts? 

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I thought at one point there was a 4 or 5 game limit of actual play but that goes back to early Dambrot and Eggers.  I think 4 games is the football limit.

I recall something more recent of 30% of games and a first half of the season injury being the requirements.  

It's simple. He's played 13 minutes so far. They'll just say he had an injury that held him out and he'll get the year back. Happens all the time with freshman that play a limited amount at the beginning of the year

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I believe it’s a play on the above sentiment, plus wasn’t there a Miami player back in the Romeo/Dru/Wood era that sweated profusely during games & would have butt crack sweat showing through his shorts? 

He sweated like NWAkron does when the t-shirt cannon comes out!

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

It's simple. He's played 13 minutes so far. They'll just say he had an injury that held him out and he'll get the year back. Happens all the time with freshman that play a limited amount at the beginning of the year

I hope this is true and until shown otherwise this is what I'm going to believe.

I like what I saw of Kalle. He's very offensive-minded. You don't often see that from freshmen bigs.

With Kalle redshirting we're getting quite the infusion of long-term talent next year in:

1. Kalle - 6'10" offensive-minded big

2. Kobe - one of Ohio's all-time leading scorers

3. Nate - a 3-star shooting guard

4. Prather - a 3-star shooting guard

5. Tavari - a PG whom was highly coveted amongst mid-majors

Like ZipWatcher used to say, "The future is 😎"

• Thanks 1

I completely agree @Blue & Gold. If everything we believe to be true today holds that is going to be one deep roster. So much so that unless Prather comes in and completely lights it up, it would be in his best interest to take a red-shirt year. Something that rarely happens with guards, but we might have a traffic jam at the guard spot. And I'm thinking we might be right back to a running and pressing team next year anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Expanding on @NWAkron, Miami used to have a strong, consistent basketball program under the late, great Charlie Coles. He was always on the sidelines wearing a red sweater. But the sweaters didn't stop there. They were a staple in Cleveland for the MAC tournament, as it was a sea of red sweaters worn by older Miami fans during Miami's inevitable quarterfinals appearance in Cleveland. 

Brick U is my nickname for the school, to further demonstrate the amount of money involved with that school. Harvard of the MAC.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

Two points:  I didn't get to see today's game.  However the team played it's best half-court defense since the Suckeyes game in the second half on Friday.  If they're going to be a contender in Cleveland they'll have to continue that, and the bench will need to continue contributing.

Second about Ryan Prather, this kid was so heavily recruited-- Rhode Is., Buffalo, Wichita offers -- that I'm afraid if Groce tells him "It doesn't look like you're going to be playing next year", he might say, "Catch me in the portal coach!"  That's where CBB is today.  Hope he's not that kind of kid, but who knows.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Second about Ryan Prather, this kid was so heavily recruited-- Rhode Is., Buffalo, Wichita offers -- that I'm afraid if Groce tells him "It doesn't look like you're going to be playing next year", he might say, "Catch me in the portal coach!"  That's where CBB is today.  Hope he's not that kind of kid, but who knows.

I agree with you that it's a concern @Z.I.P.. I am personally hoping Tavari Johnson is able to come in and make an immediate impact because of the position he plays. And I would say that if Prather or anyone comes into Summer camp their Freshman year and produces they are likely to be on the active roster. That is the benefit of competitive practices. You either grade out or you don't. We have a starter right now who was a walk-on and Taylor Currie, the forward with all the credentials in the world is gone. Nothing is promised. I'm just speculating out load about Prather anyway.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Expanding on @NWAkron, Miami used to have a strong, consistent basketball program under the late, great Charlie Coles. He was always on the sidelines wearing a red sweater. But the sweaters didn't stop there. They were a staple in Cleveland for the MAC tournament, as it was a sea of red sweaters worn by older Miami fans during Miami's inevitable quarterfinals appearance in Cleveland. 

Brick U is my nickname for the school, to further demonstrate the amount of money involved with that school. Harvard of the MAC.

Every league needs to have one school that believes it is academically superior to the rest of the league, even though athletically average or poor in most sports. The SEC has Vanderbilt, the Big Ten has Northwestern, the ACC has maybe Duke minus the basketball? 🤔 We have Miami. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

that's right.  the sweaters are/were part of the Miami mystique.  I know a few Miami grads and they aren't interested at all in Miami athletics.

13 hours ago, MDZip said:

Every league needs to have one school that believes it is academically superior to the rest of the league, even though athletically average or poor in most sports. The SEC has Vanderbilt, the Big Ten has Northwestern, the ACC has maybe Duke minus the basketball? 🤔 We have Miami. 😁

What is funny about all of this is that Miami of Ohio is a very affordable state university, whereas this other three are private, exclusive, and very expensive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Before this board existed I was subscribed to a MAC sports email list serve in the late 90s, early 2000s that had people from just about every school (including Marshall, but no Buffalo or UCF or NIU IIRC).  It was the late Mr Go Zips who told me about and got me involved in the list -- we were the only Akron supporters.  The largest contingent was Miami fans, and the folks in Oxford - which included the Millett Hall scoreboard operator - would often comment about the difficulty they had in getting students out for the games, and that most of the fans in the seats should have gotten the geriatric ticket rate.  It was said that the men wore red sweaters and the women, blue hair!

• Haha 1