NLI National Letter of Intent (Late) Day 2022

On 2/4/2022 at 7:18 AM, Blue & Gold said:

And you know who I keep forgetting about?  Blake Hester.  He did an awfully good job as a true freshman filling in for a doghouse-residing Norrills last year.

I'm predicting Hester makes a very serious run to be a starter in the fall.  Very serious run...

On 2/5/2022 at 6:01 AM, 94zipgrad said:

Every coach in the nation must be also.  That offer from Akron was the only one he received.

And ya know what. I think a lot of programs are poor at evaluating and there are a ton of examples out there.There is a lot that are very good at it but it all starts with the high school coach that promotes and hypes up his players.But even when a young man is already in the program and is still under valued. Lets see a young man named Joe Burrows. Where is the young man that was so much better than him? Enough said!!

19 hours ago, John Ward said:

And ya know what. I think a lot of programs are poor at evaluating and there are a ton of examples out there.There is a lot that are very good at it but it all starts with the high school coach that promotes and hypes up his players.But even when a young man is already in the program and is still under valued. Lets see a young man named Joe Burrows. Where is the young man that was so much better than him? Enough said!!

That’s not a good example.  Burrow wasn’t a good fit for Ohio State offense.  Haskins had like the best QB season in Big 10 history & Burrow struggled his 1st year at LSU, he needed some experience & became a good college & Pro QB but Haskins decision at the time was not the wrong decision.  

Most D1 football players are good, 1st thing they need to do is be good enough in practice to get an opportunity to show everyone else they can play and then take advantage of the opportunity.  It isn’t easy 

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

5 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm predicting Hester makes a very serious run to be a starter in the fall.  Very serious run...

I'm the opposite of you and B&G. I don't have any expectations from him. He should be the 4th best RB on the roster at best. He's a walk on and while he did make some nice plays (BG game sticks out), it was clear the last few games of the year that playing him ahead of Norrils was not a good decision. I also expect Wiley to come in and compete for the starting spot, and you'd hope you can get more out of Ant Williams as well.

Edited by LZIp

14 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Got another walk-on kicker. This one is a 5-star Kohl's kicker from Georgia!

This must be the rumored 5* from Georgia (wish he was a QB).

Kohl's has him as a 5* and the 51st best kicker in the 2022 cycle.

Pro kicker is down to 4.5* at the bottom of their top 25 and Chase is not in that list.

Sounds like the Zips are going to be plenty deep at kicker this season.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

This must be the rumored 5* from Georgia (wish he was a QB).

Kohl's has him as a 5* and the 51st best kicker in the 2022 cycle.

Pro kicker is down to 4.5* at the bottom of their top 25 and Chase is not in that list.

Sounds like the Zips are going to be plenty deep a kicker this season.

We've lost plenty of games over the years due to sub-par kicking, so I am all for having a bunch of kickers on this roster.

3 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

We've lost plenty of games over the years due to sub-par kicking, so I am all for having a bunch of kickers on this roster.

Losses due to sub-par kicking should not be a problem this season. When I say we are plenty deep at kicker I mean we are bordering on Mariana Trench deep.

• Haha 1

Like Cap'n, I too think Smigel is a solid place kicker. I also thought Slike was a solid punter last year. Both should still have eligibility, however I recall Arth mentioning something about Slike looking to move on to start his professional (non-athletic) career in finance, so he may be gone and that would explain the addition of the All-American FCS punter. I'd imagine Folser and the kicker from Jackson will compete to replace Smigel once he's gone.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Like Cap'n, I too think Smigel is a solid place kicker. I also thought Slike was a solid punter last year. Both should still have eligibility, however I recall Arth mentioning something about Slike looking to move on to start his professional (non-athletic) career in finance, so he may be gone and that would explain the addition of the All-American FCS punter. I'd imagine Folser and the kicker from Jackson will compete to replace Smigel once he's gone.

I looked and don't see any punters listed on the recruiting list, but I may have missed (or he plays 2 positions?).  What's the name?  Mahalo.

21 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I looked and don't see any punters listed on the recruiting list, but I may have missed (or he plays 2 positions?).  What's the name?  Mahalo.

He was not announced as a scholly player or preferred walk on, but did post on twitter he was committing to UA.

Noah Gettman, P/K, 6-5, 205, Mainland HS, Daytona Beach, FL, Sacred Heart transfer (1 yr. eligibility)

• Like 1

Is Kyle Romenick no longer listed as a Punter on the roster. He was a 5* scholly player in 2019 class. He started all of the 2020 season. Then heard he had COVID the beginning of last season. Seen him punt in games and pre game and halftime. This kid can boom it. Would not be surprised to see him be the starter and rank at top of MAC

• Like 2