Basketball practice facility (and more) coming

jupitertoo

I don’t think it’s overused at all. It’s UNDERused by the University.

Marketing involves understanding the customer. In this case, prospective students. Alumni. Then building an advertising plan around that audience. Enrollment is down almost 32% from 2014 to 2020. Which explains why the old Quaker Hilton sits dark. 

Looking at athletics, we see the attendance at the different programs, especially football. I’ve said before if you can’t sell football in NEOhio, you suck. IDK how else to say it. Part of it is because we never know when the team will win again (a result of mismanagement) but high schools draw better than our FBS football program in football country. Maybe they should bring back Turkey Day, at least someone would get use out of the stadium. Maybe the athletic staff NEEDS to be embarrassed. Heck, host a Game of the Week. Sell tickets and food, get students and potential donors on campus. What am I missing? 

Effective marketing made this region the only successful indoor soccer market (for years there were two franchises in NEOhio). Think about that. It’s not because they were successful, the Force never won a championship but still filled the Coliseum.

I still believe the University couldn’t sell ice water in the desert during a drought. 

41 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I mean, that may seem like a bunch of BS from me and out of left field, I know, but that kind of thing could really change things in an instant.

I agree tOSU owns the state especially when it comes to football. Everyone else needs to do something BIG to even get on the radar. I hope and pray JM is it. We need someone who’s going to stick around, not necessarily a player who is gone in a couple years. A football or basketball version of Caleb Porter. But IMO that alone won’t take eyes off of the Worthless Nuts.

• Like 1

This forum will talk about marketing, new arenas, and the zips logo until the end of time, but its all just complaints without any real solutions IMO. How do you finance the new arena? How do you make football games a "community event"? How do you improve "marketing"?

I just care about winning in athletics and I care about running a fiscally sound university that provides a quality education and isn't an embarrassment. If we're doing that, its hard not to believe some of this stuff will solve itself. I attended a board meeting for an org this morning, and educational institution in fact. The CEO was stressing they need to shrink and stabilize before they can grow. We've done that university wide the past year or so. Looking forward to better days.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

This forum will talk about marketing, new arenas, and the zips logo until the end of time, but its all just complaints without any real solutions IMO. How do you finance the new arena? How do you make football games a "community event"? How do you improve "marketing"?

I'm a CPA not a marketer. I know enough to know it's not great right now. How to fix it is for the people that are paid to do that

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'm a CPA not a marketer. I know enough to know it's not great right now. How to fix it is for the people that are paid to do that

As am I. Indeed it isn't our job, but what exactly are we complaining about here? What specifically do you think could improve and what is the end goal with this improved marketing? I suspect the best way to get to the end goal is simply winning, something we've never really done in a meaningful way for revenue sports outside of soccer, and I'd guess the soccer program has a respectable attendance compared to the rest of the country.

If having a successful marketing campaign was a substantial part of putting asses in seats in college sports and realistically doable, I'd suspect there would be a much bigger emphasis on it across college sports as it would make universities a lot of money.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

As am I. Indeed it isn't our job, but what exactly are we complaining about here? What specifically do you think could improve and what is the end goal with this improved marketing? I suspect the best way to get to the end goal is simply winning, something we've never really done in a meaningful way for revenue sports outside of soccer, and I'd guess the soccer program has a respectable attendance compared to the rest of the country.

If having a successful marketing campaign was a substantial part of putting asses in seats in college sports and realistically doable, I'd suspect there would be a much bigger emphasis on it across college sports as it would make universities a lot of money.

While I do agree people like to complain and don't want to offer real solutions, I do feel there have been some ideas that have been presented in the past. For example, people have been saying for years that the JAR should sell alcohol. Why did Akron have to wait until a pandemic wiped out 30%-40%, maybe more, of season ticket holders to make that small change?

I do agree there is no simple solutions. If there was then other schools like Bowling Green, Kent, Miami (OH) would have found it. One can argue Akrons leadership has been incompetent, but literally all Midwestern non-big 10 schools are struggling so it's not just an Akron problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

While I do agree people like to complain and don't want to offer real solutions, I do feel there have been some ideas that have been presented in the past. For example, people have been saying for years that the JAR should sell alcohol. Why did Akron have to wait until a pandemic wiped out 30%-40%, maybe more, of season ticket holders to make that small change?

I do agree there is no simple solutions. If there was then other schools like Bowling Green, Kent, Miami (OH) would have found it. One can argue Akrons leadership has been incompetent, but literally all Midwestern non-big 10 schools are struggling so it's not just an Akron problem.

The reason those changes happened now was the change in leadership. New president and new AD.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, LZIp said:

Indeed it isn't our job, but what exactly are we complaining about here? What specifically do you think could improve and what is the end goal with this improved marketing? I suspect the best way to get to the end goal is simply winning, something we've never really done in a meaningful way for revenue sports outside of soccer, and I'd guess the soccer program has a respectable attendance compared to the rest of the country.

I have no marketing expert by any means either, I'm an RN. But like others I give my opinions, observations, and the usual fanspeak (FAN being short for fanatic). I see two areas that need better marketing.

The University needs something to rebuild enrollment. I walk out of work and see a dark Quaker Hilton, once student dorms. I drive by Polsky's on my way home and I'm not sure the University even uses it anymore. Or the Medina County University Center which was underutilized when I was a student 12 years ago.

Then there's athletics, butts in seats. I remember as a teen going to Acme Zip games and the Rubber Bowl was just about full. Now I go to games at the Dialer, much more modern and comfortable than the Rubber Bowl, and more often than not me and the boys have entire sections to ourselves. Soccer is a lot more popular now than it was then, and it's real soccer. Not "Human Pinball". But I don't see the same attendance I saw 10-12-15 years ago.

I remember the Cleveland Force playing exhibition outdoor games at the Rubber Bowl and drawing nice crowds. But then Mr. Wolstein was a marketing guru, with bigger crowds for "human pinball" games than the Indians drew. 

There's something missing. I'm no expert but I know what I've seen. And what others on this forum have said over the years. It reminds me of the Cavalier's first head coach Bill Fitch. The first year of the Cavs, a fan called the office, nobody picked up so Bill answered the phone. A fan asked "What time does the game start tonight?" Bill in his usual candor answered "What time can you get here?"

A market study and focused advertising isn't going to fix all of the Athletics Department's problems. But an uptick in ticket sales would make it more sustainable, maybe even increase the programs' budgets. 

Edited by Spin
  • Thanks 2

I believe folks are thinking too small. 

Look at where the University as a whole is located. 

Akron is currently a rust belt city with little to nothing to offer in regards to attracting anyone and thats the problem. 

Which is why it makes sense to build a "city" arena. 

Hell Lebron remodeling the Tangier Restaurant which will feature a sports bar one could argue is the best thing going on right now for Akron in regards to redevelopment which will attract people to come to the city. It's time to move on from the JAR. Either rebuild from scratch on the same lot or build downtown. 

Hmmmm, a university-owned arena downtown could break even. 😎 

Looking at The Covelli Center, Canton Civic Center, and the Huntington Center, there are a lot of events for an appropriate sized arena.

Downtown has long needed something to bring people downtown at night.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

Just out of curiosity I was checking up on how Jermaine Marshall is fairing at Samford.  Anyway, knowing we desperately need a new arena, check out Samford's beautiful facility.  Only 5K but gorgeous (I remember KD saying he'd want an 8K facility).  Would be beautiful across from Canal Park.

Samford's Pete Hanna Center

Samford has this but we have the JAR?  

tenor-254110719.gif.a7d0895c2ce21108207e2fc1e69c6b4c.gif

The JAR blows.

EDIT: This isn't the greatest facility in the world, but I just throw this out there because even this facility at Samford is a palace compared to the JAR.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just out of curiosity I was checking up on how Jermaine Marshall is fairing at Samford.  Anyway, knowing we desperately need a new arena, check out Samford's beautiful facility.  Only 5K but gorgeous (I remember KD saying he'd want an 8K facility).  Would be beautiful across from Canal Park.

Samford's Pete Hanna Center

Samford has this but we have the JAR?  

tenor-254110719.gif.a7d0895c2ce21108207e2fc1e69c6b4c.gif

The JAR blows.

EDIT: This isn't the greatest facility in the world, but I just throw this out there because even this facility at Samford is a palace compared to the JAR.

Nice arena but like the JAR I hate the mid level track because it pushes the upper level too far from the court. It's a different world up there. 

16 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

To follow up on Jermaine, he is averaging 12 ppg and almost 9 rpg. Impressive season. Coming off 17 & 16 pt performances, too. Good for him!

Give me the JAR over that arena, minus the lack of bench seating. I like the JAR for college basketball, just get rid of the track. 

The JAR over that arena? You okay?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The JAR over that arena? You okay?

That arena literally is the JAR, just with more complete & modern seating. I believe you could modify the seating in the JAR to pretty closely mirror the Samford arena, while maintaining the character and atmosphere of the JAR. I hate the concrete corner spaces in Sanford's arena; it looks weird and "commuter-ish". 

Get some engineers in there (I thought we had a good Engineering program?), Move the corner doors to the middle, directly behind the baskets. Wrap the lower level seating around, adding corner sections where the doors used to be, and proper end zone seats on either side of the basket. Remove the track, and bring those seats forward. Convert every seat to be decent quality chair backs, and let's get back to rocking the JAR. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

That arena literally is the JAR, just with more complete & modern seating. I believe you could modify the seating in the JAR to pretty closely mirror the Samford arena, while maintaining the character and atmosphere of the JAR. I hate the concrete corner spaces in Sanford's arena; it looks weird and "commuter-ish". 

Get some engineers in there (I thought we had a good Engineering program?), Move the corner doors to the middle, directly behind the baskets. Wrap the lower level seating around, adding corner sections where the doors used to be, and proper end zone seats on either side of the basket. Remove the track, and bring those seats forward. Convert every seat to be decent quality chair backs, and let's get back to rocking the JAR. 

Agreed with exception to the JAR having "character."  The JAR is a plain box; an empty canvas.  There's no reason it can't be the foundation of a decent arena.  There's also no reason it can't become a community asset.

Don't get me wrong.  I'd love a new arena, but the JAR is a facility with some potential.

• Like 2

Give me this in Downtown Akron 

I live 10 minutes from UMBC. Knew an assistant on the staff that upset VA in the NCAA Tourney 

who is now on that same staff at Utah State. Opened in 2018 i have attended many games including my son attending basketball camps there the past 5 years. Aside from the empty side I love the layout. 

4,654 (basketball)
5,500 (concerts)

Wild how that arena looks much bigger than the JAR but seats less 

Also there is an auxiliary gym/practice court in the basement. 

UMBC is a 13,000-student university

project-UMBC7.jpg

UMBC-Event-Center-and-Arena-Interior-sca

ph-ca-at-umbc-event-center-0131

OMJ6IZK3W5APVBFI4MORELM7FU.jpg

MTR_1650-1280x640.jpg

UMBC_event_ctr-4842-1024x688.jpg

bs-sp-umbc-vermont-0204

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 2