Basketball practice facility (and more) coming

jupitertoo

On 8/3/2022 at 10:47 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

There's only one (at the moment) - American Athletic Conference.

They have a $1B TV deal with ESPN, which is the largest non P5 media deal. The MAC I believe is #2, but that might change soon.

In terms of growth, the American Athletic Conference and Mountain West have been the two conferences that get picked over by the P5 conferences. The Mountain West is geographically locked, especially from us, so the American Athletic Conference is the only viable option for growth at the moment. 

Those bus rides sound like a lot of fun. Hope the AC works...

Edited by Spin

• 2 months later...

I appreciate your reasoning, but I disagree. I would rather have a facility that gave you the flexibility for growth than one that, in its very size, makes a statement about how big you intend to build your program. The Stroth Center may be good for BG, but not us. I would love a facility that seated 8,000 with the architectural design for expansion if needed 20 years from now. A good architect could do that w/o creating deadspace in the building. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I would love a facility that seated 8,000 with the architectural design for expansion if needed 20 years from now. A good architect could do that w/o creating deadspace in the building. 

I'm close to your thinking, @72 Roo.   I think 7,500 would be ideal. 

I definitely see where you're coming from, @kreed5120.  I often think about how electric the JAR can get and the old saying comes to my mind, "Don't know what you've got till it's gone."  But if we were to build a true D-1 arena (especially if it were downtown and able to attract more casual fans, which the JAR really doesn't) we should go for it & shoot for around a 7,500 capacity (just a shade less than Canal Park seats).

Love it @Sergeant Zip, probably haven't seen that video in a decade but it still seems so familiar.

I guess I certainly wouldn't be mad if Akron had the Stroh Center. But I really don't like it. I've been over there a few times now, and it is "nice" but that's about it. The arena and amenities are "nice" but I don't see it as a good place or a fun place to watch a game. It's very sterile. Many BG fans feel the same way. The only time it's a truly rocking environment is with a huge crowd and a huge game. On any given Tuesday against NIU, the JAR can feel intimate and be a great environment to play in. Akron deserves to play in a better arena, but I would at least want them to play in an arena that's a fun place to watch a game. The Stroh is not it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm close to your thinking, @72 Roo.   I think 7,500 would be ideal. 

I definitely see where you're coming from, @kreed5120.  I often think about how electric the JAR can get and the old saying comes to my mind, "Don't know what you've got till it's gone."  But if we were to build a true D-1 arena (especially if it were downtown and able to attract more casual fans, which the JAR really doesn't) we should go for it & shoot for around a 7,500 capacity (just a shade less than Canal Park seats).

I actually feel a downtown arena would attract less fans, not more. It's already hard enough to get students to the games as is. Making them walk 20 minutes in the cold and snow would only further deter them. 

Not to mention attendance for pretty much all sports, at all levels is on the decline. Sure, we might get a temporary attendance boost when it's brand new, but that luster would soon wear off and we'll be looking at 2500 fans in a 7500 arena. I just don't subscribe to the philosophy of build it and they will come. 

Also, I think sometimes people overlook how scarcity generates demand, especially with this younger crowd that wants to gloat on social media. I think it would be great seeing students camp out for tickets to a big game or something like that. You see at some other schools that have smaller arenas with limited student seating. Or see people feel the need to have to renew their season tickets because they don't want to have to go back on a wait list. Those kind of things is what makes a program feel like it's big time.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

I know I'm an old-timer, but if you want to increase home attendance, stop televising every home game on ESPN+.  For just $5 month, you create an easy way NOT to attend for the casual fan.  Don't want to go out in the cold?  Don't want to take out a loan for the concession stand purchases?  Don't want to pay for parking?  Don't want to buy a ticket?  ESPN+ is your ticket.  Don't get me wrong, I love to be able to watch my Zips' sports from my family room, and I know that we'd be hurting Athletics by not having TV contracts, but I've fallen prey to the above reasons NOT to go and watch at home....

42 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Not to mention attendance for pretty much all sports, at all levels is on the decline. Sure, we might get a temporary attendance boost when it's brand new, but that luster would soon wear off and we'll be looking at 2500 fans in a 7500 arena. I just don't subscribe to the philosophy of build it and they will come. 

I think we already tried that InfoCision Stadium. It didn't work out well. 

• Like 2

Just now, zippy-claws said:

I know I'm an old-timer, but if you want to increase home attendance, stop televising every home game on ESPN+.  For just $5 month, you create an easy way NOT to attend for the casual fan.  Don't want to go out in the cold?  Don't want to take out a loan for the concession stand purchases?  Don't want to pay for parking?  Don't want to buy a ticket?  ESPN+ is your ticket.  Don't get me wrong, I love to be able to watch my Zips' sports from my family room, and I know that we'd be hurting Athletics by not having TV contracts, but I've fallen prey to the above reasons NOT to go and watch at home....

Valid points imo. 

4 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

Just for the record, ESPN+ is $10 a month now and I believe $60 is for a bleacher seat. Still, prices are reasonable.

Edited by ewbrooman1

17 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I actually feel a downtown arena would attract less fans, not more. It's already hard enough to get students to the games as is. Making them walk 20 minutes in the cold and snow would only further deter them. 

Also, I think sometimes people overlook how scarcity generates demand, especially with this younger crowd that wants to gloat on social media. I think it would be great seeing students camp out for tickets to a big game or something like that. You see at some other schools that have smaller arenas with limited student seating. Or see people feel the need to have to renew their season tickets because they don't want to have to go back on a wait list. Those kind of things is what makes a program feel like it's big time.

This is a good conversation, @kreed5120.  Thank you.

While I still think, if we were to build a true D-1 arena, the capacity should be 7,500, and I also think that across from Canal Park would be a perfect location... I also would be satisfied if it were on Exchange Street.  I think the block between Allyn & Kling, where Thursday's Lounge & the Starz Market currently sit would be a good spot.  If that block's not big enough, then cross over Kling & go from Allyn to Kathryn Place.  

Exchange is a major road in/thru downtown & would have auxiliary benefit to downtown restaurants/bars (which in turn would have auxiliary benefit to the U, especially after the city completes the Exchange Street Corridor project.  I want Akron to be a college town!).  

@kreed5120 and everyone else. Look at this beautiful arena.  Southern Indiana University. It is 4,800 capacity & I would LOVE to have a facility like this.  

4,800-seat University of Southern Indiana arena

If we had something like this, like you noted, Kreed, you'd better get your season tickets to ensure your seat.

Here is a short video on the arena - MUST WATCH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is a good conversation, @kreed5120.  Thank you.

While I still think, if we were to build a true D-1 arena, the capacity should be 7,500, and I also think that across from Canal Park would be a perfect location... I also would be satisfied if it were on Exchange Street.  I think the block between Allyn & Kling, where Thursday's Lounge & the Starz Market currently sit would be a good spot.  If that block's not big enough, then cross over Kling & go from Allyn to Kathryn Place.  

Exchange is a major road in/thru downtown & would have auxiliary benefit to downtown restaurants/bars (which in turn would have auxiliary benefit to the U, especially after the city completes the Exchange Street Corridor project.  I want Akron to be a college town!).  

Yes, I feel an arena where the baseball field or track is would have been ideal. Obviously those aren't options now since I believe they decided to redo the track and decided to bring the baseball team back. Building it between Kling and the odd corner would work, but something would need to be done for parking.

Edited by kreed5120

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

@kreed5120 and everyone else. Look at this beautiful arena.  Southern Indiana University. It is 4,800 capacity & I would LOVE to have a facility like this.  

4,800-seat University of Southern Indiana arena

If we had something like this, like you noted, Kreed, you'd better get your season tickets to ensure your seat.

Here is a short video on the arena - MUST WATCH

Yes, something like this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Something that's nice, but feels intimate. I just don't want a repeat of Infocision, which is nice, but even when we pull a decent crowd (by our standards) the stadium still feels empty. To me that just kills the atmosphere of the live experience.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd love to have a new facility.  That being said, I don't think it's in the budget for the state or the university and the citizens of Summit County have indicated they won't financially support it through a tax.

Oh, it's not happening anytime soon, nor should it given the University's financial situation. It's still fun to talk about.

• Like 3