Grading the 22 Recruiting Class, and What Else is needed

Coach JoeMo and his staff got a late start on recruiting with the coaching change.  But I still think he and his staff did a great job.  In part, because of the Transfer Portal and no penalty for transfers to sit out a year for changing schools.  Also, 90% of the high school signees sign in December, so I think that the job that Coach JoeMo and his staff did with the high school seniors was fantastic since we signed 10 very good high school players and some respectable PWO's.  I am expecting a minimum record of 7-5 in 2022 even if we start out 1-3 with the brutal OOC schedule.  

Overall Grade A-

High School Signees Grade A

What Else is needed

DL - I think we are set for 2022 with the 3 transfers.  But with the transfers, only 1 will be around for 2023.  I would like to see 1 more DL transfer who has at least 2 years of eligibility remaining and will be here for 2023.  That will give time for the coaching staff to build a solid defensive line.  Fann, Hawkins, Proffitt, Sy, Wade, and Wilson can get into the DL rotation.  And freshman Murphy gets some experience.  

LB - If Bubba returns, I think we are set for 22.  Same as DL.  One more transfer who has at least 2 years of eligibility to bridge the gap to the future.  

DB - I think we are in good shape, even with Watts leaving.  Adding Martin and Threatt should put Akron in a great position.  

OL - I think that we have 6-7 decent, but young linemen on the roster who have played the last couple of years.  Add on the recruits, and we will be good for seasons ahead.  Banes was a good pick up to transition, but I would like to see one more transfer since it is rare that offensive linemen are ready to play as freshmen.  So, by 2023, this line will be fantastic.

TE - I thought we were good with Brank and Ognenovic.  But, youth and experience has been added with Banks and Darnell.  I hope that Coach JoeMo runs a lot of 12 or 13 personnel packages.  There is a lot of talent at this position.  Also, need to shed some players from this position if they have scholarships.  

WR - Losing M&M and Qualls was tough, but I think the additions of Jacquez-Louis, Adams, Golden and Bone is a positive.  

RB - As I have stated, I like Norrils and Williams.  But adding Kellom and Wiley brings youth and experience.  I am also looking for the details of Stallworth joining this room.

QB - I thought that losing Gibson was a big negative.  I am not a fan of Irons or Marousek.  I am a fan of Jankowski.  Also, recruit Jennings had a sub 500 record in his senior year.  I have said it multiple times and was hoping for a transfer QB who could lead the Zips for 1-2 years as the pipeline fills up.  This lack of transfer is my reason for the A- rating.  QB is the most important position in sports, and I think we are weak at this position without a transfer.  

In Joe We Trust!!!!

• Like 5

Success (wins) in football is influenced by the skill level of both the players and coaches. I’m fairly confident in assuming that last season there wasn’t a team in the MAC with a worse coaching staff than the Zips, and that the new staff significantly closes (if not reverses) this gap. The Zips most recent overall recruiting class was rated by 247 as the 7th best in the MAC; better than Ball, BG, WMU, EMU and Ohio, but not  as good as Buf, Mia, CMU, Tol, KSU and NI. In the past, some posters to Zipsnation have over-predicted Zips wins by assuming other MAC teams were not making as much improvement as the Zips. Well 6 of them may have improved more than the Zips according to 247 and the Zips  are playing 4 of them!!!

Just how good the returning Zip players are is subject to debate – their record suggests not very, but maybe better than their record indicates due to substandard coaching. If they were getting good coaching last season this poses a serious problem for finishing with a winning record in 2022. I’m predicting wins over BG, EMU and Ohio and losses to Buf, Mia and CMU, and 3 of 4 nonconference opponents. Toss ups against KSU and NI, results in a record of somewhere between 4-8 and 6-6. I truly hope we do better.

O.K., tell me where you think I have missed the mark, but don’t hurt my feelings.

Edited by Zipmeister

Thanks to BigJim and the Meister for their posts. I thought both were excellent. My comments are simply that I feel we are better at QB than Jim states and I side more with the Meister on our record. I see us as 4-8, possibly 5-7. Hope I didn't hurt any feelings. It's all about Zip love. 

Did we fix our size deficiency (especially in the trenches)? Yes.

Did we replace the top skills guys we lost? Yes.

Is this coaching staff capable of out-coaching the opposing staffs, minimizing the skill/experience gap that's possibly left? Yes.

6-6. Minimum. Let's Go Zips.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Success (wins) in football is influenced by the skill level of both the players and coaches. I’m fairly confident in assuming that last season there wasn’t a team in the MAC with a worse coaching staff than the Zips, and that the new staff significantly closes (if not reverses) this gap. The Zips most recent overall recruiting class was rated by 247 as the 7th best in the MAC; better than Ball, BG, WMU, EMU and Ohio, but not  as good as Buf, Mia, CMU, Tol, KSU and NI. In the past, some posters to Zipsnation have over-predicted Zips wins by assuming other MAC teams were not making as much improvement as the Zips. Well 6 of them may have improved more than the Zips according to 247 and the Zips  are playing 4 of them!!!

Just how good the returning Zip players are is subject to debate – their record suggests not very, but maybe better than their record indicates due to substandard coaching. If they were getting good coaching last season this poses a serious problem for finishing with a winning record in 2022. I’m predicting wins over BG, EMU and Ohio and losses to Buf, Mia and CMU, and 4 nonconference opponents. Toss ups against KSU and NI, results in a record of somewhere between 3-8 and 5-7. I truly hope we do better.

O.K., tell me where you think I have missed the mark, but don’t hurt my feelings.

Per your request, you missed the mark on predicting a loss to FCS Saint Francis.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, 72 Roo said:

Thanks to BigJim and the Meister for their posts. I thought both were excellent. My comments are simply that I feel we are better at QB than Jim states and I side more with the Meister on our record. I see us as 4-8, possibly 5-7. Hope I didn't hurt any feelings. It's all about Zip love. 

I was hoping my post drew more comments, but I was wrong.  My 7-5 prediction was based on getting one more OL and an upperclassman QB.  If everyone thinks we are set at QB, then please describe our weak positions and why we will finish as bad as 4-8.  As I stated in my original post, I think Coach JoeMo addressed the needed areas for 2022.  I would love to hear from 72 Roo and ZMeister and others to be educated on our needs.  Be kind, but I would like to know the positions that will need upgraded.

Go Zips!!!

22 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Zips clock in at #10.  We signed one HS 1st-Team D-1 All-Ohio kicker, and one FCS All-American punter. (IIRC)

What's the criteria for this? Akron is the only G5 school in sight, and I didn't get the impression the K & P were highly regarded nationally (I was impressed personally). 

I'm not complaining, as this graphic will make its back-channel rounds and showcase Akron.

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

I was hoping my post drew more comments, but I was wrong. 

Sorry, but @Zipmeister answered your question pretty well right away. Nice overview though. I'll know more once I watch a few practices. I can't conclude much from looking at stars, reading rankings, and watching highlights. I have to see how these kids work together as a team. I know I would rank coaching higher than last year, that should figure into the quality of the team. Good coached teams typically get better as the year progresses. I would expect that this year. 

On 2/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, bigjim said:

Coach JoeMo and his staff got a late start on recruiting with the coaching change.  But I still think he and his staff did a great job.  In part, because of the Transfer Portal and no penalty for transfers to sit out a year for changing schools.  Also, 90% of the high school signees sign in December, so I think that the job that Coach JoeMo and his staff did with the high school seniors was fantastic since we signed 10 very good high school players and some respectable PWO's.  I am expecting a minimum record of 7-5 in 2022 even if we start out 1-3 with the brutal OOC schedule.  

Overall Grade A-

High School Signees Grade A

What Else is needed

DL - I think we are set for 2022 with the 3 transfers.  But with the transfers, only 1 will be around for 2023.  I would like to see 1 more DL transfer who has at least 2 years of eligibility remaining and will be here for 2023.  That will give time for the coaching staff to build a solid defensive line.  Fann, Hawkins, Proffitt, Sy, Wade, and Wilson can get into the DL rotation.  And freshman Murphy gets some experience.  

LB - If Bubba returns, I think we are set for 22.  Same as DL.  One more transfer who has at least 2 years of eligibility to bridge the gap to the future.  

DB - I think we are in good shape, even with Watts leaving.  Adding Martin and Threatt should put Akron in a great position.  

OL - I think that we have 6-7 decent, but young linemen on the roster who have played the last couple of years.  Add on the recruits, and we will be good for seasons ahead.  Banes was a good pick up to transition, but I would like to see one more transfer since it is rare that offensive linemen are ready to play as freshmen.  So, by 2023, this line will be fantastic.

TE - I thought we were good with Brank and Ognenovic.  But, youth and experience has been added with Banks and Darnell.  I hope that Coach JoeMo runs a lot of 12 or 13 personnel packages.  There is a lot of talent at this position.  Also, need to shed some players from this position if they have scholarships.  

WR - Losing M&M and Qualls was tough, but I think the additions of Jacquez-Louis, Adams, Golden and Bone is a positive.  

RB - As I have stated, I like Norrils and Williams.  But adding Kellom and Wiley brings youth and experience.  I am also looking for the details of Stallworth joining this room.

QB - I thought that losing Gibson was a big negative.  I am not a fan of Irons or Marousek.  I am a fan of Jankowski.  Also, recruit Jennings had a sub 500 record in his senior year.  I have said it multiple times and was hoping for a transfer QB who could lead the Zips for 1-2 years as the pipeline fills up.  This lack of transfer is my reason for the A- rating.  QB is the most important position in sports, and I think we are weak at this position without a transfer.  

In Joe We Trust!!!!

There is a new OT in the portal as of 2/7 from Pitt. Michael Statham 6'6" 300 lbs. Seems to fit the mold of what we have been bringing in this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Zips clock in at #10.  We signed one HS 1st-Team D-1 All-Ohio kicker, and one FCS All-American punter. (IIRC)

I like that they used the Z logo for that graphic, although I think relatively few outside the MAC know whose it is.

How do you view the comments for the post? Twitter is goofy that way..

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

I like that they used the Z logo for that graphic, although I think relatively few outside the MAC know whose it is.

How do you view the comments for the post? Twitter is goofy that way..

You should be able to just click the above tweet, which will hyper-link you to Twitter. From there you can scroll down and read the comments.

• Thanks 1

Great post, @bigjim.  Like you, I think I'd give JoMoe & Co.'s recruiting class an A-, considering the late start and only having about a month to pull it together.  

I'm very excited about our defensive backfield with the additions of KJ Martin and Cam Threatt.  If they don't start -v- St. Francis I'll be surprised. They immediately give us a competitive defensive backfield.

If Bubba plays next year we're going to be pretty good at linebacker as well with the addition of Tim Terry as well as Boateng and Andrew Behm, whom I was very impressed with as a true freshman.

What else I'd like to see:

Another transfer OL, obviously. A guy who can come in, along with Max Banes (hope he pans out 🤞) and contribute immediately in Week One -v- St. Francis.  I'm psyched about the three HS studs we signed, but more than likely they'll be redshirted next year.  

I would also like to see another transfer interior DL.  I think Syracuse transfer Curtis Harper will be a starter from day one.  But Miss. State transfer Devon Robinson is a little bit lighter than I was expecting (260) so I think he'll have some trouble competing on the interior of the DL.  His height is outstanding, but given his weight he sounds like he may be a bit of a tweeter - either a very heavy DE or a relatively light DT.  I'm expecting HS signee Kiawan Murphy to redshirt as I don't believe I've ever seen a high schooler come right in and contribute meaningfully on the interior of the DL.  I'll bet conditioning may be an issue with him as well & wouldn't be surprised to actually see him lose weight during his redshirt season.

Kato graduated and Gibson transferred, so I'd also like to see an experienced transfer QB added to the roster before Spring Ball begins.  I like DJ Irons, but if he were to go down, none of our backups have had any game PT whatsoever.

I think the RB's we signed are good-not-great.  I know Kellom really looks like a stud on film and he was D-1 1st Team All-Ohio, but the fact that we were his only D-1 FBS offer has to temper my expectations a bit. And Cam Wiley, while being 6-2 is outstanding, the fact he only weight 185 has me a bit concerned about how durable he'd be. If he were 5-8 & 185 I wouldn't be as concerned but 6-2 at that weight & I'm hoping he doesn't get broken in half (he'd better not be a straight up runner - get down & behind those pads, Wiley!).  So, thought our stable of RB's is presently pretty solid and very deep with Jonzell Norrils, Ant Williams, Blake Hester, Cam Wiley, and Charles Kellom, I still wouldn't mind seeing us add one more transfer RB.

We lost M&M but we're going to be stacked at WR w/ the tremendous additions of Alex Adams and Jacques-Louis. If they aren't two of the best WR's in the MAC next season I'll be surprised. 

• Like 4

QB - I thought that losing Gibson was a big negative.  I am not a fan of Irons or Marousek.  I am a fan of Jankowski.  Also, recruit Jennings had a sub 500 record in his senior year. 

What is your assessment based on?

On 2/9/2022 at 5:37 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Great post, @bigjim.  Like you, I think I'd give JoMoe & Co.'s recruiting class an A-, considering the late start and only having about a month to pull it together.  

I'm very excited about our defensive backfield with the additions of KJ Martin and Cam Threatt.  If they don't start -v- St. Francis I'll be surprised. They immediately give us a competitive defensive backfield.

If Bubba plays next year we're going to be pretty good at linebacker as well with the addition of Tim Terry as well as Boateng and Andrew Behm, whom I was very impressed with as a true freshman.

What else I'd like to see:

Another transfer OL, obviously. A guy who can come in, along with Max Banes (hope he pans out 🤞) and contribute immediately in Week One -v- St. Francis.  I'm psyched about the three HS studs we signed, but more than likely they'll be redshirted next year.  

I would also like to see another transfer interior DL.  I think Syracuse transfer Curtis Harper will be a starter from day one.  But Miss. State transfer Devon Robinson is a little bit lighter than I was expecting (260) so I think he'll have some trouble competing on the interior of the DL.  His height is outstanding, but given his weight he sounds like he may be a bit of a tweeter - either a very heavy DE or a relatively light DT.  I'm expecting HS signee Kiawan Murphy to redshirt as I don't believe I've ever seen a high schooler come right in and contribute meaningfully on the interior of the DL.  I'll bet conditioning may be an issue with him as well & wouldn't be surprised to actually see him lose weight during his redshirt season.

Kato graduated and Gibson transferred, so I'd also like to see an experienced transfer QB added to the roster before Spring Ball begins.  I like DJ Irons, but if he were to go down, none of our backups have had any game PT whatsoever.

I think the RB's we signed are good-not-great.  I know Kellom really looks like a stud on film and he was D-1 1st Team All-Ohio, but the fact that we were his only D-1 FBS offer has to temper my expectations a bit. And Cam Wiley, while being 6-2 is outstanding, the fact he only weight 185 has me a bit concerned about how durable he'd be. If he were 5-8 & 185 I wouldn't be as concerned but 6-2 at that weight & I'm hoping he doesn't get broken in half (he'd better not be a straight up runner - get down & behind those pads, Wiley!).  So, thought our stable of RB's is presently pretty solid and very deep with Jonzell Norrils, Ant Williams, Blake Hester, Cam Wiley, and Charles Kellom, I still wouldn't mind seeing us add one more transfer RB.

We lost M&M but we're going to be stacked at WR w/ the tremendous additions of Alex Adams and Jacques-Louis. If they aren't two of the best WR's in the MAC next season I'll be surprised. 

Thanks for supporting most of my suggestions and adding more details and embellishing the team needs.  I am looking at the 2022 Zips as the 2021 Northern Illionois team.  The added transfers and went from winless to a top MAC team.

Go Zips!!!  

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, Dr Z said:

Sorry, but @Zipmeister answered your question pretty well right away. Nice overview though. I'll know more once I watch a few practices. I can't conclude much from looking at stars, reading rankings, and watching highlights. I have to see how these kids work together as a team. I know I would rank coaching higher than last year, that should figure into the quality of the team. Good coached teams typically get better as the year progresses. I would expect that this year. 

I have been away for a couple of days, and as I watch the Akron Kent bball game, I respectfully disagree with you.  I think that Arth had recruited many good, but young players.   But he had little to no upper class leadership.  I keep saying we are weak at QB, but others say I am wrong.  So, if we have a good QB, what are our weaknesses that will only give Akron 4-6 wins?  I think Coach JoeMo recruiting the needed positions for 2022 from the portal.  Quoting 247 recruiting ratings as the ZMeister did does no good.  As I stated in another post, NI went from winless to top in the MAC with a good addition from the Transfer portal.  I think we are in the same position.  Why can't the Zips do the same if they have a good QB as you all are saying.  What positions are we missing if we have the QB?  I think B&G stated his comments.  I am looking for others.  I do not care if you are kind as long as you love the Zips like I do.

Go Zips!!!

7 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I have been away for a couple of days, and as I watch the Akron Kent bball game, I respectfully disagree with you.  I think that Arth had recruited many good, but young players.   But he had little to no upper class leadership.  I keep saying we are weak at QB, but others say I am wrong.  So, if we have a good QB, what are our weaknesses that will only give Akron 4-6 wins?  I think Coach JoeMo recruiting the needed positions for 2022 from the portal.  Quoting 247 recruiting ratings as the ZMeister did does no good.  As I stated in another post, NI went from winless to top in the MAC with a good addition from the Transfer portal.  I think we are in the same position.  Why can't the Zips do the same if they have a good QB as you all are saying.  What positions are we missing if we have the QB?  I think B&G stated his comments.  I am looking for others.  I do not care if you are kind as long as you love the Zips like I do.

Go Zips!!!

I personally think Rocky Lombardi (QB) was the biggest factor in the turnaround. The game at or towards the end of the season when they sat him and got blown out was telling. 

With that said, Irons has potential. How anyone says he doesn’t is beyond me, he was 13-13 and a TD against a mix of starters and back ups for Auburn. That’s impressive no matter who you are. He obviously needs to take better care of the ball though. Bring in a veteran QB in to compete with him (and as insurance since he is a bit injury prone) and may the best man win.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this. I feel pretty much the same way in most areas. I did want to make a comment on Jennings though. You are correct about him having a losing record this past season as the team was 5-6. I saw a lot of talent in this guy though and not all losses can be on the shoulders of a QB. 
In addition to that, those six losses were two to state semifinaist Upper Arlington (one by one point due to a missed PAT) and three of the others were to Huber Heights Wayne, Massillon, and Pickerington Central. This is a who’s who of high school football programs in Ohio. 

I don’t know how Dijon’s game translates to Akron or the FBS and I can’t prognosticate on his success but I just don’t think being dismissive simply due to a barely losing record In high school when playing that gauntlet of a schedule and playing for a program that usually is near the bottom of their league Is how we should feel either.

I can say I go to a lot of high school games and of all the QBs I saw last year he was probably the second best behind Drew Novak at Western Brown and neck and neck with Amare Jenkins of Dublin Scioto. 

5 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Thank you for posting this. I feel pretty much the same way in most areas. I did want to make a comment on Jennings though. You are correct about him having a losing record this past season as the team was 5-6. I saw a lot of talent in this guy though and not all losses can be on the shoulders of a QB. 
In addition to that, those six losses were two to state semifinaist Upper Arlington (one by one point due to a missed PAT) and three of the others were to Huber Heights Wayne, Massillon, and Pickerington Central. This is a who’s who of high school football programs in Ohio. 

I don’t know how Dijon’s game translates to Akron or the FBS and I can’t prognosticate on his success but I just don’t think being dismissive simply due to a barely losing record In high school when playing that gauntlet of a schedule and playing for a program that usually is near the bottom of their league Is how we should feel either.

I can say I go to a lot of high school games and of all the QBs I saw last year he was probably the second best behind Drew Novak at Western Brown and neck and neck with Amare Jenkins of Dublin Scioto. 

Where do you think Te'Sean Smoot falls within the names you mentioned? I know the previous staff was recruiting him and believe he ended up with Rich Rod at Jacksonville State. Also had a number of G5 offers as well.