Enrique Freeman

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

LCJ is definitely Top 10.

I think when all is said and done, Freeman’s numbers will merit a Top 10 all time ranking. He’s only going to get bigger and better. And he’s not going to do something stupid to curtail a great career. 

I agree. I was going to start a thread titled Is Enrique Freeman the Best Akron Big Ever? But I held off thinking it’s not yet fair to compare a sophomore Enrique with a senior-year Romeo Travis, a senior-year Jeremiah Wood, a senior-year  Zeke Marshall, or a senior-year Demetrius Treadwell.

Edited by Blue & Gold

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I agree. I was going to start a thread titled Is Enrique Freeman the Best Akron Big Ever? But I held off thinking it’s not yet fair to compare a sophomore Enrique with a senior-year Romeo Travis, a senior-year Jeremiah Wood, a senior-year  Zeke Marshall, or a senior-year Demetrius Treadwell.

This is why I always tell people to pump the brakes on Enrique being an NBA prospect.  I think he can get there, but if Romeo Travis never played in the league, I find it tough **right now** seeing Enrique playing in the league.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

HOT TAKE TIME:

Disclaimer--in no way am I taking away from Zeke, as he is certainly one of the best bigs we have ever had, but I would put Freeman right about at his level right now, perhaps a half step behind, but he's right there IMO. He has good hands, great offensive post moves, is a better FT shooter, is a tremendous rebounder at 5" shorter, and blocks a fair amount of shots. While Zeke will be the best shot blocker in Akron history probably for as long as we'll be around, Enrique makes an almost equally big difference defensively despite his lack of size. I think he is significantly further behind Tree and Romeo however, as those guys were capable of taking over games and imposed people with their beef and toughness.

Though Aziz will hopefully (as in neither of them leave) be behind Freeman for a couple more years still, he could definitely become equally as good if not better than Zeke himself, without being the starting big until he's a senior. Looking at numbers, they're a lot more similar than even I was expecting, and that's while not playing basketball in the US until he got to Akron. I think the public perception of Zeke will in all likelihood be more favorable tenfold than it ever is with Aziz in the long run, but I don't see a ton of difference between young Zeke and young Aziz. Yet another reason to hope Groce is here another couple of years, a Sr. Freeman and Jr. Aziz as bigs could be something special.

Am I off base? Probably. But I think it could be an interesting thing to keep an eye on down the road. BEAT KENT!

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

LCJ is definitely Top 10.

I think when all is said and done, Freeman’s numbers will merit a Top 10 all time ranking. He’s only going to get bigger and better. And he’s not going to do something stupid to curtail a great career. 

Duh, should've known it was Freeman. I tell myself his number will be in the rafters someday, yet neglected to think of him (partly because he hasn't been on noteworthy teams). 

Good call.

30 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I dunno...there's enough of a body of work to begin the conversation. He's going to have 500+ points and 500+ rebounds going into next season. And 80+ blocks. With his best years ahead of him, that projects pretty well.

image.png

It is way to early to judge Freeman since he is technically a 2nd year player.  However, if I would compare a 2nd year Zeke to a 2nd year Freeman I would go with Freeman.  Zeke was always good on D but his offense developed much slower.  Most importantly, Freeman is so quick to the ball and is a strong rebounder.  He is more athletic that Zeke.  Also, Freeman wants to improve his game.  Zeke was a self proclaimed nerd and I do not think he put the time into the game that he needed to elevate his game.  After he turned pro he seemed to get the idea that he needed to concentrate on B ball.  Zeke was a better shot blocker and rim protector but I like Freeman's game comparing 2nd year players.

21 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

This is why I always tell people to pump the brakes on Enrique being an NBA prospect.  I think he can get there, but if Romeo Travis never played in the league, I find it tough **right now** seeing Enrique playing in the league.  

Rome never made it to the league because he was a 6'6" post player with a very limited jump shot (at best) and a 60% shooter from the charity stripe. I don't really think much of Rome as a basketball player; his legacy to me is cemented by being one of the two key foundational pieces that made Akron basketball what it is today. Forever grateful for he and Dru's services. 

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

In 2 seasons without a 2020 postseason, too. Absolutely stellar player who will go down as one of the most underrated Zips of all time. He was the third best player on that title team, would’ve been the best player on a lot of MAC teams that year. Huge Cheese man myself!

Maybe the 3rd best player on that team, but man was he clutch. He had the ability to do it all whenever it was needed - 3 pointer, drive to the basket, mid-range jumper, etc. 

11 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

HOT TAKE TIME:

Disclaimer--in no way am I taking away from Zeke, as he is certainly one of the best bigs we have ever had, but I would put Freeman right about at his level right now, perhaps a half step behind, but he's right there IMO. He has good hands, great offensive post moves, is a better FT shooter, is a tremendous rebounder at 5" shorter, and blocks a fair amount of shots. While Zeke will be the best shot blocker in Akron history probably for as long as we'll be around, Enrique makes an almost equally big difference defensively despite his lack of size. I think he is significantly further behind Tree and Romeo however, as those guys were capable of taking over games and imposed people with their beef and toughness.

Though Aziz will hopefully (as in neither of them leave) be behind Freeman for a couple more years still, he could definitely become equally as good if not better than Zeke himself, without being the starting big until he's a senior. Looking at numbers, they're a lot more similar than even I was expecting, and that's while not playing basketball in the US until he got to Akron. I think the public perception of Zeke will in all likelihood be more favorable tenfold than it ever is with Aziz in the long run, but I don't see a ton of difference between young Zeke and young Aziz. Yet another reason to hope Groce is here another couple of years, a Sr. Freeman and Jr. Aziz as bigs could be something special.

Am I off base? Probably. But I think it could be an interesting thing to keep an eye on down the road. BEAT KENT!

I don't think you're off-base at all.

Freeman has the walk-on factor that really elevates the perception around his legacy. He doesn't necessarily need overall team achievements for people to think highly of him; his journey is impressive enough. Easily one of my favorite Zips of all time. 

Aziz is as good, if not better than Zeke at this point in their careers. Aziz could be really special come his senior year. It'll be fun to see him and Kalle develop alongside Freeman. Our front-court is going to be a force for several years. We will be set up to accomplish more than any Zips team ever has. 

Zeke was really under-developed by Dambrot & staff. It wasn't until Zeke's national recognition grew and he got better off-season help that he took jumps to the next level(s). Zeke was a highly-touted recruit, obviously, so he needed team accomplishments to cement his legacy. That 2012-13 team was special. It's the only team to fairly compare the 2019-20 team to. Zeke was a huge piece of that, but if we didn't win multiple MAC Tourney Titles with Zeke, his career would've been viewed differently. The lack of NCAA Tournament success takes a bit away from him (somewhat unfairly). 

I'll be that guy,...Big Dog deserves to be in the discussion. He did win MAC POTY.

I think it would be cool if we could somehow create a poll and rank our top 10, 15, 20 whatever Zips players and combine the votes to get the official ZN.o player ranking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enrique is not the defensive presence Zeke was.  I'm not sure that any MAC player has ever been.  He's not the offensive presence that Big Dog was.  His rebounding stands up against either of those two and his overall contribution is equal to or very close to those two.  He certainly belongs in the discussion.

As for guys like Tree and Romeo, I look at them as more power forwards than classic post big men.

Any conversation regarding the best all time bigs in UA basketball should include Bill Turner 63-67. Realize he was before almost all of you. 6-7 power forward/center, ranks 5th in all time scoring and 4th in all time rebounds ( please note he played with two other players in top 6 all time rebounds). Realize this was against smaller schools but did include Earl the Pearl Monroe among other top talent. He did make the NBA and play for 6 seasons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adzip said:

Any conversation regarding the best all time bigs in UA basketball should include Bill Turner 63-67. Realize he was before almost all of you. 6-7 power forward/center, ranks 5th in all time scoring and 4th in all time rebounds ( please note he played with two other players in top 6 all time rebounds). Realize this was against smaller schools but did include Earl the Pearl Monroe among other top talent. He did make the NBA and play for 6 seasons. 

This is way before my time.  Though I went to a couple games during the Coleman Crawford era, I'd have to begin with the Dan Hipsher era.

Enrique is still building his Zips resume. Having said that, I'd have to go:

1. Jeremiah Wood

2. Romeo Travis

3. Demetrius Treadwell

4. Big Dog

5. Zeke Marshall (focussing on his excellent senior season. His freshman-through-junior years were awfully underwhelming)

6. Enrique Freeman

As sophomores:

1. Enrique

2. Wood

3. Treadwell

4. Big Dog

5. Travis

6. Marshall

Edited by Blue & Gold

46 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

2 hours ago, adzip said:

47 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is way before my time.  Though I went to a couple games during the Coleman Crawford era, I'd have to begin with the Dan Hipsher era.

Enrique is still building his Zips resume. Having said that, I'd have to go:

1. Jeremiah Wood

2. Romeo Travis

3. Demetrius Treadwell

4. Big Dog

5. Zeke Marshall (focussing on his excellent senior season. His freshman-through-junior years were awfully underwhelming)

6. Enrique Freeman

As sophomores:

1. Enrique

2. Wood

3. Treadwell

4. Big Dog

5. Travis

6. Marshall

This is the problem with letting kids come up with "all time great" lists.

I'll take Len Paul and Bill Turner in their prime against any two of the above.

• Thanks 1

I don't have much to add to this conversation because I don't know any of these players. I do think at the end of the day you will remember Freeman more as a power forward. It's amazing what he is able to do at just 6'-7". He definitely plays bigger and will continue to play the 5 position in smaller/faster line-ups. But I don't think it will be all that long before Aziz is in the starting line-up. The upside is just to great. And Groce has already mentioned that Freeman's development will continue with him shooting further from the basket. Ali would then start at the wing.

Edited by Illini Zip

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

I don't have much to add to this conversation because I don't know any of these players. I do think at the end of the day you will remember Freeman more as a power forward. It's amazing what he is able to do at just 6'-7". He definitely plays bigger and will continue to play the 5 position in smaller/faster line-ups. But I don't think it will be all that long before Aziz is in the starting line-up. The upside is just to great. And Groce has already mentioned that Freeman's development will continue with him shooting further from the basket. Ali would then start at the wing.

Freeman developing into a Stretch-4 would be something amazing. 

One problem comparing Freeman to any of these guys is the quality of opponents.  The MAC as a whole is no where near as good as it was when those guys played.  

Zeek could dominate a game without scoring a point and Romeo, Big Dog and Tree could be unstoppable on offense.  I hope Freeman can exceed what they did by leading us to a NCAA tournament win before he’s done.

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Freeman developing into a Stretch-4 would be something amazing. 

I completely agree. The stats show Freeman has taken 3 3-pointers this year. And I have missed them all somehow. Have you seen him shoot from deep? Does he have good form? The other option that I have mentioned on here recently is mastering the 10 foot range. And as I see Freeman as a 4/5 position guy, I see Kalle as strictly a power forward initially. And what skills does he bring to the table next year? Does he have Stretch-4 potential? It's fun to ponder.

It's 5:23 and ...

2 hours ago, ZIPS96 said:

One problem comparing Freeman to any of these guys is the quality of opponents.  The MAC as a whole is no where near as good as it was when those guys played.  

Zeek could dominate a game without scoring a point and Romeo, Big Dog and Tree could be unstoppable on offense.  I hope Freeman can exceed what they did by leading us to a NCAA tournament win before he’s done.

I don't think it's materially worse, though I could be swayed by stats.  We seem to be winning NCAA games pretty regularly anymore.  Enrique has a better all around game than Zeke, Big Dog, and Tree already I think. If he can extend his range some and become a bit more coordinated, he's got a real shot at being the best big in program history.