Northern Illinois- 2/17/22

clarkwgriswold

11 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Uncoordinated?  A 6 foot 7 guy being the leading rebounder in the MAC and one of the leading rebounders in the country is uncoordinated?  I will respectfully disagree.

After reflecting, my comment may be an exaggeration caught up in the moment. I think he just makes some real "what the heck" plays sometimes where its clear he misjudges the ball or loses control of his body, but I suppose you shouldn't expect much more out of big men. Love Enrique, his story, and looking forward to see his growth the next two seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illini Zip said:

That is my concern as well. Has this team already hit it's ceiling? Part me things that the frustration that our players show on the court is that they believe it to be so. I hope I'm wrong.

For those bailing on the season, take care, see you next year.

Go Zips!!

The team's ceiling is capped by a lack of talent, and even lower when there's a lack of effort/focus/killer instinct. "Attitude reflects leadership, captain." Groce can only lead so much as a HC on the sideline. This is my frustration with guys like X, Ali, Trimble. They are experienced players with poor leadership on the court. Poor leadership leads to poor attitude, and poor attitude leads to 3 losses in a row, 2 of which are to teams you should be beat by double digits. Trimble doesn't make shots consistently, and is really worthless on the court otherwise; nobody trusts him. His bricks not only deflate the ball, but deflate the morale on the team. X isn't there mentally every play. He consistently drops passes, mishandles the ball, makes bone-headed mistakes, etc. That's not what you want from the "floor general." Ali tries to put the team on his back, but goes about it the wrong way. He can shot create with his dribble-drive ability, but 99.9% of the time only looks to finish the play himself; his head is never up, looking to see who got open during his dribble-drive.

I'm not bailing on the season. We can win the MAC. But my enthusiasm is tempered based on the lack of effort from the team these last two games. I'm VERY excited about next season. 

• Like 3

Give the ball to Tribble.   Tell him to attack the rim and shoot.   No more attack and pass.   We already have too many of those.    He has to change his mental approach and become more selfish.   This season is already lost.   I would concentrate on this aspect and this aspect alone.  

Edited by dirtyolcrowe