Bowling Green- 2/22/22

clarkwgriswold

For this year - sample size is obviously very small, but I liked how we played against EMU.

For next year - gives us the ability to start Aziz, Enrique, Ali, X, and another combo guard...whether it be one of these freshman or a transfer. I don't think Clarke is the answer. I like X off the ball..he shoots a lot more consistent than Trimble.

Edited by LZIp

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

They contributed nothing other than standing out there shooting 3s.  He had ONE game where he got in there and did some nice 2 point jumpers.  As someone else mentioned a while back, he disrupted everything else on the floor when he was shooting air ball after brick after clunker.

He was a poor man's Utomi.

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He was a poor man's Utomi.

I wouldn't give him that much credit.  When Groce came in Utomi and they were thin Utomi was often forced to play out of position on defense in the post and worked damn hard at it.  I've never seen Trimble make that kind of effort.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

For this year - sample size is obviously very small, but I liked how we played against EMU.

For next year - gives us the ability to star Aziz, Enrique, Ali, X, and another combo guard...whether it be one of these freshman or a transfer. I don't think Clarke is the answer. I like X off the ball..he shoots a lot more consistent than Trimble.

He reminds me a little of Malcolm Duvivier, a guy who played the point but was more of a combo guard who could sometimes be better when not forced to be the primary ballhandler.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I wouldn't give him that much credit.  When Groce came in Utomi and they were thin Utomi was often forced to play out of position on defense in the post and worked damn hard at it.  I've never seen Trimble make that kind of effort.

Agree. Utomi was good enough to transfer to USC. He was good and a big loss. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He reminds me a little of Malcolm Duvivier, a guy who played the point but was more of a combo guard who could sometimes be better when not forced to be the primary ballhandler.

I liked Malcolm!

Good or bad for us, Groce plays or is forced to play the long game (getting tired of that phrase) each season.  He's has to take some hits in order to have his best team on the floor in March.

The first game against BG had me really excited because I thought the team may finally start to play to its potential a bit more often, and it was then followed up with a 46-44 win against EMU without their best player. It's been a grind of a season, but we're very lucky to not be in the same position BG is in. I really like Huger and always have, if you ever get the chance to talk to him, he's the nicest guy. But I find him to be a mediocre coach at best.

Without Trimble, this game will likely look much different. Even with him, the odds of Akron topping the 90-point mark and winning by 25 are slim to none against any MAC team at this moment, and that's okay. In the first game against BG, the Zips played pretty poor defense the first ten minutes or so, and then played some of their best of the entire season the rest of the way. As much as I want to see a more explosive and efficient offense, this team plays at its best when they play great defense for 40 minutes.

I really liked Trimble up until he was out with COVID at the end of December. Since coming back, he has been a huge liability, and in Akron's three games without him, they've beaten Buffalo, lost close to Ohio on a bad shooting night, and dominated EMU on the road. A small sample, but it's definitely telling of how this team plays when he's not there. I would love a wire-to-wire controlled win tonight, and frankly that's what it should be at this time. But I have given up on expecting anything with this group to be easy. GO ZIPS!

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I liked Malcolm!

Good or bad for us, Groce plays or is forced to play the long game (getting tired of that phrase) each season.  He's has to take some hits in order to have his best team on the floor in March.

Let's be frank.  As a MAC coach can should you really do anything other than follow that very plan given the inescapable conclusion that the MAC is a one bid NCAA tournament conference regardless of anything that happens in the regular season.  

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Let's be frank.  As a MAC coach can should you really do anything other than follow that very plan given the inescapable conclusion that the MAC is a one bid NCAA tournament conference regardless of anything that happens in the regular season.  

agree, the fans, though, aren't as single-minded.  Unfortunately, Americans are all about instant gratification.  They want their wins NOW!  On here, we can take a step back and realize that there is a bigger picture.  

If Trimble is gone, this team will win if the guards play better.  X should be a double digit scorer every game.  He cannot disappear in a game and needs to take 10-12 shots a game and hit 40% from 3 and get to the foul line.  Tribble needs to up his game.  He has to hit a couple of jump shots.  They do not need to be threes but anything from the outside will help.  I am not big on Clark but he has some quickness.  I hate to see him dribble out the clock.  He needs to go to the basket and not laterally.  Last year he penetrated and this year it has been dribbling without the penetration.  He also does not have a good shot and that really hurts our team.

31 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Despite the gaudy records for Toledo and Ohio, neither one is in the bubble conversation because neither has the quality wins that are required for an invite.  Per the NET rankings, neither one has a quad 1 win.  Until teams can schedule and beat top teams, this trend of being a one team league will continue.

With that being said, Clark is 100% right.  If you know your only shot is to win the MAC Tournament, you've got to test things out during the regular season to see what works and what doesn't.

Edited by zipsrule
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wynn earned his seat on the bench.  He nearly earned the end of his season.  To his credit and due to circumstances he's now playing his way back in.  A little effort and a good attitude goes a long way.

What makes you say that? 

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wynn earned his seat on the bench.  He nearly earned the end of his season.  To his credit and due to circumstances he's now playing his way back in.  A little effort and a good attitude goes a long way.

AkronAlumnus called our players "losers."  They are playing D1 basketball.  They aren't losers.  He's a good one to block.

• Like 1