Bowling Green- 2/22/22

clarkwgriswold

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Al is now 1 for 9 from 3.  We don't need Trimble!

Off game for the 4th best 3 pt % shooter in the MAC. Thankfully he's bringing it in other areas.

On a serious note, Mike Dawson is 4-7 from three and is contributing in other areas like usual. We don't need Trimble!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Reghi wonders where the Zips would be without Freeman and Ali.  Yikes.  Yes, we can safely assume the Zips would be in a worse position without their leading scorer and leading rebounder.  

What a maroon.

That’s more like it! I liked what I saw from just about everyone, it was a great team effort. Shouts to Garvin Clarke and Mikal Dawson for putting the team on their back in the second half with their best games arguably of their careers. While the drive defense was bad and they didn’t play very good D as a whole, Clarke was all over their guards. If he can continue to play that kind of D off the bench against these guards coming up, we’ll have a chance. 

It looked to be same old same old with the 7-8 point leads that would be wiped out by terrible defensive possessions, until my man Garv stepped up and buried a transition 3! When was the last time we had one of those? That wasn’t quite the dagger, but it’s something that has been lacked in a big way this year. On to Athens, I’m proud of this team tonight but there’s much more work to do. Go Zips!

• Like 1

Beating BG by double digit at the JAR on a Tuesday night.   Seems like old times.

Reading between the lines, Groce's interview after the game made it clear that they are "Post-Trimble."  If I were laid up in bed, I would go back and count up all the empty possessions Trimble gave the Zips.  It wasn't like he was running in to rebound the 3s he missed.

Groce wasn't happy with the defense nor were some of you.

Clark and Dawson had their best games of the season.  As someone mentioned earlier, the transition 3 from Clark has been a long time coming.  We outrebounded BG big time.  Great to see everyone looking to rebound.  Azziz struggled on defense and did not play a great deal tonight.  This is the 2nd game that X fouled out.  Weird that X is fouling out and I think Freeman had only one foul.  The Zips looked really good the 2nd half on offense and it was fun to watch them making shots.  Not sure if BG's defense was that bad or the Zips were playing that good.  Freeman was a beast on the boards again.  Tribble also had some really nice rebounds.  I would still like to see him shoot more.  He keeps passing up wide open shots. 

• Like 2

Another thing I've been thinking about: the importance of locking down the perimeter. While the defense against the drive was pretty awful, the Zips forced BG to take a lot of tightly contested threes while only allowing a couple of open ones. While you can both lock down the perimeter and step in front of a driver, I think that made a huge difference tonight. It's the kind of thing I would do against Kent. Force them to score in the interior instead of allowing them to shoot 24' threes that they have proven they can make.