Ohio University- 2/25/22 at 6 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

The 18-9/11-6 Zips head off to Athens Friday to face the Bobcats.  The Bobcats come into the game at 23-5/14-3 and are tied with Toledo at the top of the MAC.  OU topped the Zips 69-63 at the JAR on January 4th.

OU has 3 players in the top 15 scorers in the MAC (Sears- 19.7; Carter- 14; VanderPlas- 13.7).  They are 6th the MAC in points per game and 3rd in point surrendered per game.  With Akron as the top defensive team in the MAC, it should be a defensive slugfest.

2 tough road games and then Central at home.  The Zips will be the 5th seed and will most likely play Buffalo or maybe 
Garrettsville.

here's the link:

http://bball.notnothing.net/mac.php?sport=mbb *

*looks like CMU can't make up all their games and Ball State and Buffalo will be one game short.  

Edited by NWAkron

Remaining Schedules (likely result per ESPN BPI ).  I don't see a way that we don't end up facing UB in round one.  The Toledo/UB game should decide the #2 seed, unless the Zips can pull the upset Friday.  Kent also owns the tie breaker with Toledo, so a Zips upset Friday combined with a Rockets loss to Buffalo could potentially give Kent the regular season championship via tiebreakers w/OU and UT.  

Toledo 24-7 (16-4):

• vs Miami (W, 93.7%)
  • @ UB (L, 50.5%)
  • vs BGSU (W, 92.6%)

Ohio 26-5 (17-3)

• vs Akron (W, 71.4%)
  • @ BGSU (W, 68%)
  • @ NIU (W, 84.8%)

Kent 21-9 (16-4)

• @ CMU (W, 88.5%)
  • @ NIU (W, 82.7%)
  • vs UB (W, 67.9%)

Buffalo 20-9 (14-5)

• @ NIU (W, 84.3%)
  • vs NIU (W, 95.4%)
  • vs UT (W, 50.5%)
  • @ Kent (L, 67.9%)

Akron 20-10 (13-7)

• @ OU (L, 71.4%)
  • @ BSU (W, 70.2%)
  • vs CMU (W, 95.7%)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Remaining Schedules (likely result per ESPN BPI ).  I don't see a way that we don't end up facing UB in round one.  The Toledo/UB game should decide the #2 seed, unless the Zips can pull the upset Friday.  Kent also owns the tie breaker with Toledo, so a Zips upset Friday combined with a Rockets loss to Buffalo could potentially give Kent the regular season championship via tiebreakers w/OU and UT.  

It's great Groce in the final weeks of the season finally found his lineup, but this team has it's back against the wall going into Cleveland.  When you have the top teams playing Miami or BG in the first round it's a real disadvantage facing Buffalo then followed by two more brutal games (as they should be).  OTOH...OU came into it last year as the 5th seed and were well-rested after a COVID break.

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Did I miss something? Did the NCAA increase the number of games in a season? These records seem inflated compared to years past. 

Akron's best teams - AFTER the MAC Tourney - only posted 26-27 wins, with similar loss totals to Toledo/OU/KSUcks.

Top teams used to get a bye until the MAC semi finals, now they don't, so that is one more game that's played (though it obviously hasn't happened yet this season). Fact of the matter is Toledo and OU are having pretty darn good years. Maybe the MAC, at least the contenders, aren't as "down" as some think.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Top teams used to get a bye until the MAC semi finals, now they don't, so that is one more game that's played (though it obviously hasn't happened yet this season). Fact of the matter is Toledo and OU are having pretty darn good years. Maybe the MAC, at least the contenders, aren't as "down" as some think.

They haven't beaten anyone. If it's an increase number of games, those games have been against garbage competition. These records would warrant a Top 30/40 ranking if they were legitimate, not top 60 ceiling. 

The MAC blows. I'm hoping we'll prove that on Friday against OU.

The game will be broadcast on 850AM WKNR. Albeit with Ohio’s broadcasters. Not sure why they signed with OU instead of one of the four NE Ohio D1 programs.

Edited by Spin
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Did I miss something? Did the NCAA increase the number of games in a season? These records seem inflated compared to years past. 

Akron's best teams - AFTER the MAC Tourney - only posted 26-27 wins, with similar loss totals to Toledo/OU/KSUcks.

No, the MAC went to a 20 game conference schedule. We sacrificed 2 OOC games to do it. That's why you see MAC games in December whereas before MAC didn't start play until January.

11 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They haven't beaten anyone. If it's an increase number of games, those games have been against garbage competition. These records would warrant a Top 30/40 ranking if they were legitimate, not top 60 ceiling. 

When has the MAC ever beaten "anyone" in OOC? Unless you want to count the occasional P5 win over a middling/low tier program. There has been no increase in games. Only differences I can find is that is appears we play two more conference games and two less OOC games comparing this season to the 15-16 and 16-17 seasons.

If we look at kenpom (as it shows previous years rankings) Toledo is #87 and Ohio is #106. Last season the top 3 MAC teams were #74, #77, and #81. That means last year the MAC had 3 teams better than this years Toledo team. I'd say the MAC is down a crossed the board, top to bottom.

Edit: you have to go back to 2017 to find a year that the MAC top ranked team was ranked worse than what Toledo is currently.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Don't forget, the MAC now plays a 20-game schedule, not 18.

Defense, Defense, Defense. That is how you beat Ohio. They're not an exceedingly great defensive team, and Akron's offense seems to have been opening up as of late. I hope Dawson and Clarke continue to make big contributions on that end. Freeman will once again have his hands full with the likes of Carter and Vander Plas. The Zips didn't play a great game back in January against them, but had every chance to take it. Being on the road in a very hard arena to win in, a slow start would kill the Zips pretty much instantly. While this one won't change anything about the season from a standings point, it would be a huge momentum and confidence builder going into March. With that said, I unfortunately am not expecting the Zips to win, but I do expect them to give themselves a chance. Go Zips!

I was previously of the thought that, if we had Trimble during that first OU game, we would've won. I still think we needed Trimble in that game with where the team was at, and thought we'd be able to take them next matchup with Trimble. 

Now that Trimble's gone and the offense has learned how to play with more cohesiveness, I think we win this one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Akron's offense seems to have been opening up as of late.

Maybe slightly but I don't really see that. Just  about everyone is dropping 80 plus on BG. Hell, Buffalo had 112, Ball State 91 and Miami 94 in just the last two weeks. I do like your optimism though, hopefully we show up big tonight.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Maybe slightly but I don't really see that. Just  about everyone is dropping 80 plus on BG. Hell, Buffalo had 112, Ball State 91 and Miami 94 in just the last two weeks. I do like your optimism though, hopefully we show up big tonight.

Offense opening up doesn't necessarily mean higher scoring. The Zips still play a very slow paced game. However, in their last two, there have been far fewer hair-pulling-out possessions that end in an Ali back down shot clock violation and obviously no Trimble clunkers. We've seen more plays in transition by the guards and we've seen Dawson hustling to get himself open. It's been a very noticeable difference while still playing with the same pace as they have all year.

Senior night for the Bobcats.

I wonder what's happened with Lunden McDay, the SVSM grad who was starting for OU.  He opened the season with them then was off for personal reasons and I don't think he's ever returned.  It didn't sound like a KJ Walton "taking his ball and going home" situation.

• Like 1