Ohio University- 2/25/22 at 6 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

9 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Bad news Zips unlikely to get a top three seed and the 4/5 slot would be a brutal run. You're almost certainly getting 3 of 4 of Toledo, OU Can't and Buffalo. Those losses to WMU and NIU were killers. 

yes, every which way I ran it, they have Buffalo in the first round.  But Ohio is dropping to a 3 seed which puts them with Kent in the lower half.    Central and Toledo would be the 1/8 match up.  Never know...If Buffalo wins out, Akron could play Kent in first round.

actually, if Buffalo beats Toledo and then Kent beats Buffalo, (vomit) Mr. Pinky would have the #1 seed.

Edited by NWAkron

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I did. Looked like Groce wanted to say something (non confrontational) and Boals just ignored him.

Groce may have wanted to say something but I got the impression that Boals, while being cordial, just wanted to move on and get to the locker room himself. OU is NOT playing its best basketball right now and I'm sure he was as frustrated and embarrassed as anyone. Not trying to be an apologist for Boals but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just wasn't interested in conversation at that moment.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

Groce may have wanted to say something but I got the impression that Boals, while being cordial, just wanted to move on and get to the locker room himself. OU is NOT playing its best basketball right now and I'm sure he was as frustrated and embarrassed as anyone. Not trying to be an apologist for Boals but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just wasn't interested in conversation at that moment.

Yeah I was paying attention since Boals dragged the game on. Didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to me.

Hell yeah!!!! Eat that, kitty kats! Who’s the kook that said the offense has been opening up the last few games? What a moron!

Anyway, that felt amazing. The end was excruciating, but the Zips forced OU to take shots the didn’t want to for a lot of the game, they just made prayers at the end. Of course, OU was off tonight but the Zips took advantage. They didn’t settle for shots all that often and Ali used his length to make it look easy. I wish Freeman would’ve gotten the double-double, but he was damn good as well. Unsung hero? Greg bleeping Tribble! All over the place and cool as a cucumber running the offense and making plays. Not the best game from X but good enough. And Wynn was awful to begin but pulled his head out of you-know-where. Clarke? Huge minutes. Dawson? My favorite play of the game was his steal and layup, must be a Dawson thing! 

That felt so good, this weekend just got a whole lot better. Zips women have a big one in that gym tomorrow as well. Go Zips!!!!!

Is it only the Zips, but it seems like in all our game when Zips have like a 12-20 point lead in the final minutes the other team (be it a directional school or whoever) always makes these crazy 3s.  But on the plus side, Zips learned that every free throw counts in the clutch.  Ali and Tribble just threw some up there and they missed.  Aziz and Dawson got it done.

Edited by NWAkron

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I was previously of the thought that, if we had Trimble during that first OU game, we would've won. I still think we needed Trimble in that game with where the team was at, and thought we'd be able to take them next matchup with Trimble. 

Now that Trimble's gone and the offense has learned how to play with more cohesiveness, I think we win this one. 

This aged well.

• Like 4

Great win tonight.

Any insight though on why we didn’t see more of Aziz especially while Freeman was on the bench with three fouls early in the second half?... Not a complaint that he didn’t play more but I think he is a defensive game changer and was just wondering if there is an injury or illness I don’t know about. He looked good in the couple minutes he was in the game early.

1 minute ago, GJGood said:

Great win tonight.

Any insight though on why we didn’t see more of Aziz especially while Freeman was on the bench with three fouls early in the second half?... Not a complaint that he didn’t play more but I think he is a defensive game changer and was just wondering if there is an injury or illness I don’t know about. He looked good in the couple minutes he was in the game early.

Good observation. I'm no expert, but I think Groce likes what he has seen with Wynn. While he does some boneheaded stuff, he plays a good small 4-5. Against Ohio whose bigs (Carter and BVP) can play the perimeter well, he probably didn't want Aziz running around out there getting beat on drives or caught sagging off a shooter. Come Tuesday @ Ball State, I would expect more minutes for Aziz against their true big Sparks.

• Like 3

About a week ago, I questioned if this team had hit it's ceiling. Today it feels like the ship's course has been corrected and moving forward again. Maybe a single player hit his own personal ceiling and effected the greater team. 

Trimble has made contributions this season and should be recognized for that. But as others have pointed out we are doing fine in his absence. That said, unless Trimble is a complete locker room cancer, he could still add value to a short bench. These would be my caveats. Positive energy is non-negotiable. He would likely be coming off the bench. The ball can't stick in his hands and he has to move without the ball. And he would have to commit to playing his best defense possible. However, he is limited to who he can guard effectively and should only play when contributing something on the court. If this arrangement offends him in some manner we are better off parting ways. This situation for all I know could be finalized already.

My question to everyone here is if you were Groce, would you consider letting him come back at this point If he agreed to a lesser role and bought into the new team chemistry? Does the risk outweigh the possible benefit? Any thoughts?

Edited by Illini Zip

49 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

My question to everyone here is if you were Groce, would you consider letting him come back at this point If he agreed to a lesser role and bought into the new team chemistry? Does the risk outweigh the possible benefit at this point? Any thoughts?

Nope. Sorry dude (Trimble), you had your chance to buy in and give DI effort on both ends of the floor and you didn't. 

"My team is on the floor." @NWAkron

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

My question to everyone here is if you were Groce, would you consider letting him come back at this point If he agreed to a lesser role and bought into the new team chemistry? Does the risk outweigh the possible benefit? Any thoughts?

I wouldn't.  Here is Groce from the ABJ postgame story:

“I just think our chemistry right now is really good. I think we’re connected. I think our guys care about each other and they care about winning and when you really care about winning at the level they do right now about winning you’re going to play well.”

If it ain't broke...

I think the Zips found a winning formula without Trimble.  We are scoring in the paint and not relying on the 3 point basket.  Further, this team is much quicker and a much better rebounding team without him.  We outrebounded Ohio by 10 last night.  Trimble was a perimeter player who did not rebound.  Our traps on defense work better because Trimble was slow and a liability on defense.  Also, that is why Groce brings in Wynn in the 2nd half to rest Freeman.  Azziz is a great rim protector but not great on the traps because he is not very quick. 

Most importantly, the Zips made their shots yesterday and shot 62%.  Ali was amazing on the fadeaways and moves around the basket.  Tribble also scored around the basket.  Can they keep that up the rest of the season.  Remember, X had an off night shooting but killed Ohio at the foul line.  A great team effort last night and lets hope the Zips can continue this type of play the last 2 games.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Trimble was a perimeter player who did not rebound.

All five guys on the floor should be ready and looking to challenge for every rebound. How many more W's do you create by generating 5-10 more possessions each game? I've always enjoyed guys who have rebounding tenacity. It's obviously one of the qualities we admire in Freeman. 

Also enjoyed the team defense last night. The majority of OU's possessions were really contested. Defense like that requires intelligent effort. Kudos to the coaching staff for the strategery and getting the guys to buy in to the game plan. Big kudos to the players for playing hard on both ends of the floor (I saw a lot of teamism) and earning a nice W in a tough environment. VERY encouraging as we all think about Cleveland in a few weeks.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

All five guys on the floor should be ready and looking to challenge for every rebound. How many more W's do you create by generating 5-10 more possessions each game? I've always enjoyed guys who have rebounding tenacity. It's obviously one of the qualities we admire in Freeman. 

I mentioned in the thread last night:  were the Zips always starting in a hole because Trimble was giving them 5 or 6 empty possessions with clunker 3s to start every game?  When Wynn is on the floor, I see him doing things at both ends.  Other than shooting 3s (and the Western game when he made some jump shots)Trimble was a ghost on the floor.  Remember, those final possessions against WMU at the JAR, the last 4 baskets were Tribble, Ali, Castanenda, and Ali.

So @Illini Zip the answer is NO WAY bring Trimble back.  Groce allowed him to shoot away all he wanted and apparently didn't appreciate the freedom Groce gave him.