Central Michigan- 3/4/22

The Zips conclude their 2021-2022 regular season this Friday by hosting the Central Michigan Chippewas.

The Chippewas are 7-21, 6-11 MAC and in a precarious eighth place in the MAC standings. The Chips need a win against the Zips or a loss by ninth-place Bowling Green at Toledo to hold onto 8th.

6’0” freshman guard Kevin Miller leads CMU at 13.2 ppg.

From the Zips online schedule, it does not clear if this game will be televised.  The site references “TV: 21-DAY WILDCARD SELECTION”, so we'll see.

• Thanks 1

Zips are one of the hottest teams in the MAC, looking to roll into the tournament on a 5-game winning streak.  Central is 2-8 in their last 10, with close losses @ Toledo (66-68) and vs Kent (71-73) illustrating that they can't be overlooked.  They'll also be desperate for a win to sneak into the tournament and potentially be the team that kicks in the annual Toledo chokefest in the 1 v 8 game.  Hoping the fellas continue their strong play and get rested to win 3 games in 3 days the following weekend.  Zips will likely be a high-single digits favorite here, and a very tempting bet considering the recent performances.

• Like 1

Gotta finish strong here. CMU has wound up putting together an OK season considering their circumstances. I love this new Akron team we've seen the last couple weeks, they should beat this team relatively decisively. While the Zips' offense played just okay in Mt. Pleasant, they blew a lot of coverages on defense and let the Chips hang around. And as good as the offense has been over these last four, the defense has been even better. Defense, defense, defense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Kinda funny that the last senior night of X. Williams, Cheese, Banks, Riak, McIntyre kind of makes up for not having one for a few years

Kittens Attack is a sad place today.  Not only are they convinced they won't get a bid to the CBI they also have threads entitled:  "One of the Most Embarrassing Losses in School History" and "We Shouldn't Give Up Now."  Also, they have a poll "How many games will the Bobcats win in Cleveland?"  ( think they have 4 choices).

(and to give credit, they shoot a lot of 3s, and if they get hot they could win)

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Groce's long sleeves with the vest is a real Akron fashion statement.  Take THAT Brimfield Institute of Fashion Design!

Groce and Holtman initially did the vest thing for the OSU game in honor of their college coach.  I assume this season and the vest have been an extension of that.

• Like 1

Gameday!!! I'm very excited to see the Zips at the JAR one more time this season. With a win tonight, the Zips would take a 5-game winning streak into the tournament, which is something I don't know that they have done before, at least recently. Also with the win, they would get their 21st overall on the year, 14th in MAC play (which I believe ties their record for MAC wins [2013, 2017, 2020]), and it would give the Zips a 40-16 league record the last three seasons, tied with Toledo over that stretch, assuming they beat BG.

CMU has shown flashes of brilliance and huge growing pains throughout the year. In the Zips' game at CMU, they got a no-show from their best player and almost snuck that one past the hard-to-watch Zips of earlier this season. Not long ago, they almost took down Toledo and Kent, and they did in fact beat Kent earlier in the year. While I don't think there is much faith in their new coach, they have shown they can beat teams. Poor perimeter defense in key possessions in Mt. P kept them in it against the Zips last time, I would love to see Akron limit those opportunities this time around. In this streak, the Zips hammered EMU, beat BG handily, dismantled OU despite the final score, and beat Ball State decisively. It's been strange to watch this Akron team not play in close games every night over the last couple of weeks. With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing the trend continuing by giving the fans another night of high-scoring dominance to build more excitement for Cleveland. Cleveland is the reason, folks! 

The Zips opened at -14 and the line has remained there. Even with the Zips playing well, I feel that's a lot of points and if I were to bet would probably take the Chips. Either way, I'm pumped to see this team play. Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Does anyone know  if Brandon Ford, the team manager who scored a basket against Bowling Green still on the team and dresses for games.  I know Groce was upset when he scored since the game was a blowout and he scored when time was expiring.

I've seen him on the bench