MAC tourney general discussion

NWAkron

Clark will start the official tourney thread, but this is general discussion as the excitement builds for Sophomore Night at the JAR.

Looks like the Zips will face Canada in the afternoon game a week from today.  Zips never seem to play Toledo but always run into Buffalo.  Last 3 or 4x it hasn't ended well.

PCCC is on a long win streak, but those streaks can make a team tight as they start playing not to lose.

Kittens look tired and the opposite of the fresh and rested OU team that blew through the bracket last year.  But they can make a lot of 3s and they will be confident coming back to Cleveland.

Of the likely bottom 3 of Miami, Ball State, and CMU, I think Miami is the team most likely to pull off an upset.

Edited by NWAkron

26 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Of course my first day at a new job would be when there's a day game for Akron in the MAC tourney after working the past 2 years 100% remote. 

Oh well. A General Discussion thread wouldn't be complete without a CAN'T STATE SUCKS.

Burt Reynolds Roger GIF

I may have to work as well.  Could just be Saturday night for me. ... god willing.

Everything was set up perfect for me before the WMU/NIU losses.  We were set to be the 2 or 3 seed, playing either in the 4:30ish or 7ish game.  I had a meeting in Cleveland that ends at 3:30.  

Then the losses happened, so the game will now be in the middle of my meeting.  But the meeting was moved to remote so...somebody's gonna be on mute with the game on the office TV.

• Like 2

Well said on Buffalo @clarkwgriswold. The Zips played a damn good game against them in Cleveland last year, but Williams and Segu combined to shoot 17-28 FG, 6-9 3FG and Mballa had 20 boards. The Zips should have won the game, LCJ had a great look at the end of regulation and he made a couple of boneheaded plays when the Zips had nice leads in the last few minutes. Off the top of my head, since beating Buffalo in the 2009 MAC title, the Zips have lost four straight to the Bulls in Cleveland. 2015 semis, 2016 title, 2019 quarters, and 2021 semis. Ouch.

With that said, I feel the Zips' biggest opponent is themselves. They have the talent to beat anyone and win the tournament, they just need Ali or X to step up in addition to whatever Freeman gets them. The supporting cast has been playing much better, but you can't win a tournament without a standout go-to guy. Since the roster shakeup, the ball is moving a lot and the defense has changed how they play against Akron. Guys like Dawson and Clarke have become threats on the perimeter, and both play good defense and have shown ability to take the ball inside as well. The Zips may be the deepest team (hard to believe, I know) talent wise, but the lack of a true ball-dominant killer is what will likely be the death of this team. 

17 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Off the top of my head, since beating Buffalo in the 2009 MAC title, the Zips have lost four straight to the Bulls in Cleveland. 2015 semis, 2016 title, 2019 quarters, and 2021 semis. Ouch.

...but you can't win a tournament without a standout go-to guy. ...but the lack of a true ball-dominant killer is what will likely be the death of this team. 

Buffalo was arguably the nail in the coffin for Dambrot. Buffalo's style & athleticism complete outclassed Dambrot's style & lack of athleticism in basically every aspect. During Dambrot's final years, he had trouble beating Buffalo during the regular season as well. This isn't to discuss Dambrot, but to show that Buffalo's style is tough to beat no matter what. We match up better with them now from an athleticism standpoint, especially without Trimble basically making it 4 v 5 when Buffalo has the ball, but Buffalo still has the advantage with Segu & Williams. 

I disagree with the final two statements I cropped in your quote comment. We won the tournament 3x with zero standout guards/players (minus Zeke, but Freeman neutralizes not having Zeke). Those backcourts were slightly deeper than ours, but no better than what we have now as long as Clarke continues his higher level of play. Systems can win tournaments just as easily as ball-dominant killers, if not more easily. If that ball-dominant killer, that a team relies on so much (like Carry), is off - look out; that team will probably struggle to make up the difference (which is what pisses me off so much about KSUcks having their poor performances all against bottom-feeding MAC teams). The way the Zips play defense, the way they spread the ball on offense now, the way they rebound - they will have just as good of a chance in Cleveland as the top 4 teams. What could be the death of the team is the lack of consistent outside shooting. Then again, Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse doesn't have the best sightlines and can neutralize good shooting teams. This will be a fun tournament with truly 5 teams that can win it all. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I disagree with the final two statements I cropped in your quote comment. We won the tournament 3x with zero standout guards/players (minus Zeke, but Freeman neutralizes not having Zeke). Those backcourts were slightly deeper than ours, but no better than what we have now as long as Clarke continues his higher level of play. Systems can win tournaments just as easily as ball-dominant killers, if not more easily. If that ball-dominant killer, that a team relies on so much (like Carry), is off - look out; that team will probably struggle to make up the difference (which is what pisses me off so much about KSUcks having their poor performances all against bottom-feeding MAC teams). The way the Zips play defense, the way they spread the ball on offense now, the way they rebound - they will have just as good of a chance in Cleveland as the top 4 teams. What could be the death of the team is the lack of consistent outside shooting. Then again, Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse doesn't have the best sightlines and can neutralize good shooting teams. This will be a fun tournament with truly 5 teams that can win it all. 

Thank you for the response, you make great points. I suppose I came off as more doom and gloom than I intended. The Zips are indeed equipped to win this tournament. I think it will be tougher without a go-to guy, but it is certainly not the end of the world to not have one. I guess my point is that the Zips have a tremendous program that has gotten them to this point in the season despite all of the roster nonsense. If you dropped a go-to guy into this roster, they would be insanely hard to beat. But you are right, the way they've been playing with this level of teamism, there is no reason that this system can't win the tournament as it is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Thank you for the response, you make great points. I suppose I came off as more doom and gloom than I intended. The Zips are indeed equipped to win this tournament. I think it will be tougher without a go-to guy, but it is certainly not the end of the world to not have one. I guess my point is that the Zips have a tremendous program that has gotten them to this point in the season despite all of the roster nonsense. If you dropped a go-to guy into this roster, they would be insanely hard to beat. But you are right, the way they've been playing with this level of teamism, there is no reason that this system can't win the tournament as it is.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't usurp my role as the voice of gloom and doom on here!  😁  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think based on our recent play that we could win in Cleveland.  Can the Zips put 3 good games together and do we have a player or players that can step up in the clutch.  In KD last few years he had good teams in Cleveland but had at least one player who never played well in Cleveland and it hurt the team.  Further, although LCJ was a great player, he needed to sink his last jump shot from the corner for the Zips to advance.  You need that great play to move forward.  In a final game against Kent we won in Cleveland because Zeke had 11 blocks.  Who will step up for the Zips to have an outstanding tournament for the Zips to win the championship: Freeman, Ali, X, Tribble, Dawson.  Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

OU is the only Top 4 team to have played against this Akron team (without Trimble). No other Top 4 team has seen this Zips team. That's an interesting fact heading into Cleveland.

I think the Buffalo game was without Trimble (covid) but that game was January 1st.  Certainly, does seem like the Zips have a fresh new team on the floor.  I'm partially relieved that this last game isn't against Ravenna and isn't for the regular season championship.  I

Just now, NWAkron said:

I think the Buffalo game was without Trimble (covid) but that game was January 1st.  Certainly, does seem like the Zips have a fresh new team on the floor.  I'm partially relieved that this last game isn't against Ravenna and isn't for the regular season championship.  I

Yes, and they didn't have Mballa nor their coach. Us being a new team is neutralized, but if we get by Canada...