Zips MAC Tournament- 2022

10 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Over at the UB Forum, they aren't too confident about playing the Zips, but again they are talking about another "one and done" with Whitesell.  They made the finals last year.  If we had the play in games, they would be playing Western Michigan on Monday.

Booby Hurley is 13-16 this season at ASU.  Maybe he'll be available for a return.

25 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Wow, another coach that leaves the MAC only to find failure.  The list gets longer and longer each year.

The Sun Devils have won 6 out of their last 7.  Hurley's made up some lost ground.   A first round exit from conference tournament would be nice for the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What time would Akron play Friday - early game?

Yes, it should be the early game (-v- Toledo?).  That gives the #1 seed (Toledo - should they win) a couple more hours rest than the #2-3 seed game.  I believe that's the thinking.

Edited by Blue & Gold

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yes, it should be the early game (-v- Toledo?).  That gives the #1 seed (Toledo - should they win) a couple more hours rest than the #2-3 seed game.  I believe that's the thinking.

Nevermind on possibly attending. Since when does the early game on Friday start at 5? I thought that was usually a 6pm start. 

Come on Zips, make it to Saturday!

18 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Nevermind on possibly attending. Since when does the early game on Friday start at 5? I thought that was usually a 6pm start. 

Agree.  The MAC is really screwing up this tournament.  11am games?  5pm on Friday?  They are still in covid panic mode it seems.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Can you post a link to the start times of the games. Because if Friday's 1st game starts at 5:00 that's going to be problematic for me as well.

Edit: Never mind. I see the 5:00 start time at ticketmaster.  That sucks.  It's not a problem for me but I was going to go with my brother-in-law & he doesn't get off work till 5:00.  😭 

Edited by Blue & Gold

The tournament has become less and less fan friendly over the years. Having the men’s quarterfinals tipping at 11a and playing nonstop until they’re done is so stupid. When you break it up into two sessions, it allows fans who go for the whole day (like myself) to have a break and enjoy the Cleveland experience. Now, a single game will tip after 7:00pm, and instead of the seating being cut and dry (higher seed behind team bench, low seed across), with 8 teams playing in one session people will be scattered around and the atmosphere will suffer. This is yet another COVID thing that will stick because it saved everyone money regardless of whether people enjoy it or not. 

As for Friday, that’s just the unfortunate reality of TV contracts, and it yet again takes away from the fans in the building. 

50 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

The tournament has become less and less fan friendly over the years. Having the men’s quarterfinals tipping at 11a and playing nonstop until they’re done is so stupid. When you break it up into two sessions, it allows fans who go for the whole day (like myself) to have a break and enjoy the Cleveland experience. Now, a single game will tip after 7:00pm, and instead of the seating being cut and dry (higher seed behind team bench, low seed across), with 8 teams playing in one session people will be scattered around and the atmosphere will suffer. This is yet another COVID thing that will stick because it saved everyone money regardless of whether people enjoy it or not. 

As for Friday, that’s just the unfortunate reality of TV contracts, and it yet again takes away from the fans in the building. 

I really miss the play in games.  Last Friday could have been really consequential with Akron and Buffalo playing for that 4th seed.  Then Buffalo would have WMU tonight.

• Like 1

Was scanning through the NET records this morning and I noticed Akron and Kent are still 4th and 5th in MAC NET Rankings, despite the flushes going on a 12 game win streak.  The two programs have had remarkably similar paths, with Kent getting their garbage games out of the way early and Akron, unfortunately, waiting until 5 games were left in the season to get cold.

image.png.722cb15e0a1aa3b300ae5c5a9a723ae0.png