Zips MAC Tournament- 2022

I listened to the postgame show on WHLO and Joe Dunn named Ali as his second half offensive star of the game. I have a hard time with that because Ali also had 7 turnovers in the game. Some of you on this board are closer to the team than I am and I have to ask why does Groce tolerate Ali's TO's and dribble-dribble-dribble? I'm serious. I hope there is some logic other than he sometimes gets real hot. The color analyst for the game had never seen Ali play before. Yet he mentioned repeatedly, starting in the first half, that Ali's dribbling was hurting Akron more than helping. Personally I'd gibe more time to Wynn and Dawson who I admire for growing as players.

My second question is why does Groce allow Tribble to drive into the paint with no avenue to the basket only to throw up a crap shot or leave his feet with nowhere to go or turn it over or have no chance to finish at the rim. We can't win playing like that. When he drives he rarely dishes off to an open teammate. What it boils down to me is that he does not create opportunities/space for other players or himself. When we play within ourselves we are a hell of a team. I hope that team emerges this weekend.

Help me out here guys and gals. Go Zips!

72Roo:  I noticed as well that he does that drive and his shots never are close to going in.  He's like 1/2 of LCJ and without the dramatic head jerk when someone touches him.  I can't speak to Ali situation but Groce had most confidence in Tribble at the line.  Tribble also doesn't make many turnovers or get called for charges like a Dawson might because he's so broad.  Castaneda doesn't seem to have the same success with that move drawing fouls.

20 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I listened to the postgame show on WHLO and Joe Dunn named Ali as his second half offensive star of the game. I have a hard time with that because Ali also had 7 turnovers in the game. Some of you on this board are closer to the team than I am and I have to ask why does Groce tolerate Ali's TO's and dribble-dribble-dribble? I'm serious. I hope there is some logic other than he sometimes gets real hot. The color analyst for the game had never seen Ali play before. Yet he mentioned repeatedly, starting in the first half, that Ali's dribbling was hurting Akron more than helping. Personally I'd gibe more time to Wynn and Dawson who I admire for growing as players.

My second question is why does Groce allow Tribble to drive into the paint with no avenue to the basket only to throw up a crap shot or leave his feet with nowhere to go or turn it over or have no chance to finish at the rim. We can't win playing like that. When he drives he rarely dishes off to an open teammate. What it boils down to me is that he does not create opportunities/space for other players or himself. When we play within ourselves we are a hell of a team. I hope that team emerges this weekend.

Ali has plenty to improve on but the lack of respect he gets on this board baffles me (not that I don’t love the energy Dawson and Wynn bring). He was named second team all MAC for a reason. He’s the most naturally gifted player on the team and I think still has a lot of untapped potential. Leads the team in scoring, and led the Zips today. Shoots at a pretty efficient % for somebody who scores at all 3 levels. Ended up with more points and better shooting % than X who I think most would aheee played well. He definitely had too many turnovers today though.

As for Tribble, I haven’t put much thought Into that iso. What I do know is that it did win us the game today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Dawson played 34 minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

You indicate that Tribble does not finish at the rim but he has a 461 shooting percentage and he scores almost exclusively from the paint.  So he does finish at the rim.  He also gets to foul line better than anyone on the team except Freeman.  I admit that he does not finish as well as LCJ but not many guards can.  Groce had enough confidence in him to take the last shot and it worked and won the game.  I admit that sometimes he goes up and has nowhere to go but LCJ also had that problem on occasion especially his first and second year in Akron.  His last year he developed a floater and became almost unstoppable.

I also agree that Ali dribbles too much and he had a terrible game with turnovers.  However, he got hot from the 3 point line and was the leading scorer.  Obviously, Groce like to have Ali isolate and post his man.  Not going to argue with the coach but he needs to finish better as he often gets stuck in the lane with nowhere to go.  He also has the best 3 point shooting percentage among the Zips.

My main gripe with Ali is that after he makes a 3 I have seen him talk to the opposing team's bench and has also picked up a couple of techs.   I wish he would just play ball and leave the trash talking to Carey and the Flashes.

• Like 1

What a damn game and what a damn win. Did John Groce kill Buffalo?? Let’s hope! I’ve said all year that the Zips lack killer instinct. They had numerous chances to build on the ten-point lead but just couldn’t run a good set to get a good shot. Hey, a win is a win! Ali had one of his better jump-shooting games, but his ball handling was dreadful and Buffalo guarded it well. They attacked the ball instead of allowing him to be comfortable. X really saved us at the end of the first half as well, we need those two to show up. Also props to Tribble (obviously) and Mike Dawson, he attacked the basket with ferocity today in addition to burying a lot of big shots. 

Zips fans are so lucky, this has continued to be a special run across decades. Akron’s won at least one MAC tournament game every year (sans 2020) since 2005, and they’ve qualified for Cleveland more than anyone in the league in that stretch. Though it’s been a few years since big success in Cleveland, today felt a lot like the old days. Hopefully we can get more Zips faithful behind the boys tomorrow! Survive and advance, keep believing! Go Zips!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

Tribble said in the postgame interview that he was planning on dumping the ball off to Freeman, but he knew that he could draw the contact and get to the line. I like that he is becoming confident in himself, I think Groce does as well.

Thank you for sharing this. Outstanding coaching by Groce & Co. to have a final play with TWO possible options with the same base concept. Props to Tribble for not only having confidence in himself, but also executing AND hitting the free throws (he was 4-4 down the stretch, right?).

Dawson is this year's Most Improved - by a mile. What a year for the Dawson family. I watched the replay last night, and his shooting confidence is high along with his decision making. He looks to constantly drive and create plays, unlike previous years where he was simply a passing bridge to get the ball in someone else's hands. 

Freeman not being 1st Team All MAC is really the biggest screw job I can remember. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

What a damn game and what a damn win. Did John Groce kill Buffalo?? Let’s hope! I’ve said all year that the Zips lack killer instinct. They had numerous chances to build on the ten-point lead but just couldn’t run a good set to get a good shot. Hey, a win is a win! Ali had one of his better jump-shooting games, but his ball handling was dreadful and Buffalo guarded it well. They attacked the ball instead of allowing him to be comfortable. X really saved us at the end of the first half as well, we need those two to show up. Also props to Tribble (obviously) and Mike Dawson, he attacked the basket with ferocity today in addition to burying a lot of big shots. 

Zips fans are so lucky, this has continued to be a special run across decades. Akron’s won at least one MAC tournament game every year (sans 2020) since 2005, and they’ve qualified for Cleveland more than anyone in the league in that stretch. Though it’s been a few years since big success in Cleveland, today felt a lot like the old days. Hopefully we can get more Zips faithful behind the boys tomorrow! Survive and advance, keep believing! Go Zips!!!!!

Read this again and the bold part stood out. It did feel like the old days. Seemed to be a pretty solid Zips contingent in attendance despite a mid afternoon start. The only potential difference: have we ever played a team of Buffalo's caliber in the quarterfinals? Maybe Toledo in '09 (Humpty Hitchens/Brett McKnight game)?

We just knocked out the undisputed top MAC team for the past decade. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I'm going to take a shot at this. Do with it as you will.

The excessive dribbling, turnovers and not passing the ball back out drives me crazy too. But at this point in the season, for Ali to still be doing this tells me he is doing what Groce is asking of him. Or at least good enough at this point to stick with it. And that is to back into the paint to score or draw double-teams and collapse the defense. Remember early on Castaneda and Clarke could not get going north and south. And Trimble couldn't get his shot off. They would all dribble, dribble, dribble the shot clock away up top. Without a crafty guard this year who can get inside at will and cause havoc, Groce decided to use Ali as a point forward. (He did the same thing with Malcolm Hill, SF, at Illinois when we had point guard issues)

Now, Ali isn't efficient at this yet and going against a very strong, physical Buffalo team was rough on him yesterday. Ali is playing out of his comfort zone and is taking the abuse for the team. The double teams on him in the post opens things up for everyone else. That's what I tell myself anyway. Now if Ali would to spend the upcoming offseason living in the gym and gain 20 lbs of muscle he will be an absolute nightmare to guard. He would be able to back players down more quickly and easily. The game would slow down for him and his ball handling and reading of the defense would vastly improve. Allowing him to feed his open teammates on the perimeter. But right now he is head-down and battling. And his frustration gets the best of him at times. Bottomline, his post-game is definitely a work in progress, but this point forward has a very high ceiling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched parts of the re-play a couple times last night.  Segu's 3 was damn close to going in. Ugh. 

Don't know what to expect from game this evening.  This is Toledo's best chance to get to March Madness since the 80s!  I think they have an advantage in that the basketball gods owe them.

In the other game, i expect Garretsville Tech to crush the Nelsonville Kittens.  Kittens are out of shape and Ball State was effing awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Read this again and the bold part stood out. It did feel like the old days. Seemed to be a pretty solid Zips contingent in attendance despite a mid afternoon start. The only potential difference: have we ever played a team of Buffalo's caliber in the quarterfinals? Maybe Toledo in '09 (Humpty Hitchens/Brett McKnight game)?

We just knocked out the undisputed top MAC team for the past decade. 

That Toledo team in 2009 was dreadful, but played one of their best games of the season in the first round against the Zips. A truly unbelievable win for Akron. Buffalo in 2019 is obviously the best team we’ve ever met in the QF and probably ever in the tournament period. With that said, the top of the MAC is very tough so getting the 4-seed and having to go through UB, Toledo, Kent/OU is an absolute gauntlet. This would be the most impressive tournament win in program history if they can pull it off. 

While the Zips aren’t the most skilled team, deepest team, or experienced team, it feels good to have faith and belief in the guys and the coaching staff. Win, lose, or draw, I’m very pleased with how this season has played out considering the circumstances. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Watched parts of the re-play a couple times last night.  Segu's 3 was damn close to going in. Ugh. 

Too close indeed. But to Garvin Clarke's credit he stayed between the player and the basket, kept his hands back and made sure not to allow any contact in the act of shooting. 

1 minute ago, Illini Zip said:

Too close indeed. But to Garvin Clarke's credit he stayed between the player and the basket, kept his hands back and made sure not to allow any contact in the act of shooting. 

Did you watch the end of the UTC/Furman game?  🤨

Was that Garvin?  Amazing how those guys can keep their focus when the fans are hiding under their chairs on the sticky floors.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Did you watch the end of the UTC/Furman game?  🤨

Was that Garvin?  Amazing how those guys can keep their focus when the fans are hiding under their chairs on the sticky floors.

I did not see that game. I will see if I can find it on ESPN3. 

Edit: That game winning 3 pointer in OT was amazing and is what makes March Madness so awesome. I do feel for Furman. They couldn't have guarded any better. 2 guys chasing him down, 1 with hands up and he still nails it on the move. Nothing you can do there.

That was an exhausting game to watch. I was home pacing myself. Ha!!

Edited by Illini Zip

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Don't know what to expect from game this evening.  This is Toledo's best chance to get to March Madness since the 80s!  I think they have an advantage in that the basketball gods owe them.

In the other game, i expect Garretsville Tech to crush the Nelsonville Kittens.  Kittens are out of shape and Ball State was effing awful.

Yea, if it would have hit the backboard it would have gone in.  (LOL)

This has been a weird season for 2 reasons.  I have never seen a team get better after ejecting a player.  We actually lost 2 scholarship players for attitude issues and playing our best basketball of the season.

Second, I do not remember a MAC season where the Zips did not get blown out in at least one game.  Our worse losses were to Toledo and Kent and we were in both of those games in the last 5 minutes.  Other than the Florida tournament, this team has competed in every game.

16 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

This has been a weird season for 2 reasons.  I have never seen a team get better after ejecting a player.  We actually lost 2 scholarship players for attitude issues and playing our best basketball of the season.

No surprise to me that the Zips are playing better after Trimble's departure. He provided negative minutes all season minus one (maybe two) games. 

38 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

We actually lost 2 scholarship players for attitude issues and playing our best basketball of the season.

Scholarship players is one thing, starters is another. Amazing how Dawson and Tribble have stepped up as duty called. They went from doing the things that don’t show up in the score book, to doing the things that do show up in the score book. If we can pull this off I think they are the difference between a lost season, and a championship season. 

• Like 3