Zips MAC Tournament- 2022

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

This has been a weird season for 2 reasons.  I have never seen a team get better after ejecting a player.  We actually lost 2 scholarship players for attitude issues and playing our best basketball of the season.

This situation has been the prototype for the old phrase "Addition by Subtraction."

I could be wrong, but off the top of my head, we haven’t met Toledo in the tournament since that wild game in 2009. With that said, over these last 15 years, the three remaining teams are the three with the most success against Akron over that stretch (Buffalo was also one of them). The odds are stacked against Akron in a way that we haven’t really seen before. Between the roster crap, Pinky’s best player having a GF on the Kent women’s team so he falls into his lap, officiating being insane against Freeman, shooting woes, and the lack of a true leader, it’s almost like, why not Akron? With all of that said, as someone else said, the Zips haven’t been truly blown out in a MAC game and play a pace and style that is beneficial to winning as an underdog or when not playing their best. 

I’m probably jinxing it and Toledo will win by 15+. But you just never know. The Zips are together and their teamism is peaking at the right time. Let’s shock the league! Go Zips!

6 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I could be wrong, but off the top of my head, we haven’t met Toledo in the tournament since that wild game in 2009. With that said, over these last 15 years, the three remaining teams are the three with the most success against Akron over that stretch (Buffalo was also one of them). The odds are stacked against Akron in a way that we haven’t really seen before. Between the roster crap, Pinky’s best player having a GF on the Kent women’s team so he falls into his lap, officiating being insane against Freeman, shooting woes, and the lack of a true leader, it’s almost like, why not Akron? With all of that said, as someone else said, the Zips haven’t been truly blown out in a MAC game and play a pace and style that is beneficial to winning as an underdog or when not playing their best. 

I’m probably jinxing it and Toledo will win by 15+. But you just never know. The Zips are together and their teamism is peaking at the right time. Let’s shock the league! Go Zips!

Agree.  Amazing the Zips haven't met Toledo since 2009.  I don't have expectations for this evening.  If Toledo wins, I hope they win on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Too close indeed. But to Garvin Clarke's credit he stayed between the player and the basket, kept his hands back and made sure not to allow any contact in the act of shooting. 

Clarke deserves credit on Buffalo's prior possession, too. They chucked up a crap shot and Garvin was the only Zips player with a chance at the rebound - he made sure he got it. Otherwise, it would've been an offensive rebound and we're probably talking about a different outcome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

When Toledo beat CMU, I thought, "Hmmmm... Could this be a blessing in disguise?"

Akron will get up for this game. The target is on Toledo's back, not ours. Had CMU won, there's a chance we'd overlook them, not show up (like we haven't shown up against any directional Michigan school this year), and get upset by the Chips. 

LET'S GO ZIPS! Beat Detroit Southwest!

15 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I listened to the postgame show on WHLO and Joe Dunn named Ali as his second half offensive star of the game. I have a hard time with that because Ali also had 7 turnovers in the game. Some of you on this board are closer to the team than I am and I have to ask why does Groce tolerate Ali's TO's and dribble-dribble-dribble? I'm serious. I hope there is some logic other than he sometimes gets real hot. The color analyst for the game had never seen Ali play before. Yet he mentioned repeatedly, starting in the first half, that Ali's dribbling was hurting Akron more than helping. Personally I'd gibe more time to Wynn and Dawson who I admire for growing as players.

My second question is why does Groce allow Tribble to drive into the paint with no avenue to the basket only to throw up a crap shot or leave his feet with nowhere to go or turn it over or have no chance to finish at the rim. We can't win playing like that. When he drives he rarely dishes off to an open teammate. What it boils down to me is that he does not create opportunities/space for other players or himself. When we play within ourselves we are a hell of a team. I hope that team emerges this weekend.

Help me out here guys and gals. Go Zips!

What games have you been watching. With our season on the line Tribble had the ball in his hands for a reason. No one can stop him when he gets downhill. For a guard 6’2 and under his FG% in the paint is pretty good. I’m noticing no one is bringing up how Castaneda tried his best to give Buffalo the game late even though he carried us early. Groce gets paid the big bucks for a reason. He knew what matchup to go to when the pressure was really on.

I wonder if we will play any zone today.  Toledo struggled against the 2-3 zone yesterday, especially in the first half.  We played zone yesterday for one possession and Buffalo struggled but then after they shot the ball they got an offensive rebound and a put back layup and that was it for the zone.

Our zone has struggled this year with leaving guys wide open in the corner for a three ball and rebounding off a miss.  I think Groce might try some zone and see if it works.

6 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I'm going to take a shot at this. Do with it as you will.

The excessive dribbling, turnovers and not passing the ball back out drives me crazy too. But at this point in the season, for Ali to still be doing this tells me he is doing what Groce is asking of him. Or at least good enough at this point to stick with it. And that is to back into the paint to score or draw double-teams and collapse the defense. Remember early on Castaneda and Clarke could not get going north and south. And Trimble couldn't get his shot off. They would all dribble, dribble, dribble the shot clock away up top. Without a crafty guard this year who can get inside at will and cause havoc, Groce decided to use Ali as a point forward. (He did the same thing with Malcolm Hill, SF, at Illinois when we had point guard issues)

Now, Ali isn't efficient at this yet and going against a very strong, physical Buffalo team was rough on him yesterday. Ali is playing out of his comfort zone and is taking the abuse for the team. The double teams on him in the post opens things up for everyone else. That's what I tell myself anyway. Now if Ali would to spend the upcoming offseason living in the gym and gain 20 lbs of muscle he will be an absolute nightmare to guard. He would be able to back players down more quickly and easily. The game would slow down for him and his ball handling and reading of the defense would vastly improve. Allowing him to feed his open teammates on the perimeter. But right now he is head-down and battling. And his frustration gets the best of him at times. Bottomline, his post-game is definitely a work in progress, but this point forward has a very high ceiling.

lllini Zip, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I asked for objective insight and you gave me just that. Everyone else gave me excuses. My point in raising these issues is to identify areas for improvement. The two players I mentioned do have great abilities and I'm glad they are Zips. Being a Zip they are my players. But why can't we discuss opportunities for those players to improve their games? That does not take away from what they do well, it only makes them better. As they improve so does our team.

• Like 1

Dear Basketball Gods-

I have only two wishes:

1)  Give me another 10 days before I have to post a "21-22 Review/22-23 Looking Ahead Thread";

2)  With the game on the line, please let the Zips player at the line be better than a 67% free throw shooter.

Best Regards, 

Clark W. Griswold

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

From the Rockets message board:

"RE: Keys to Beating Akron

Akron is not very good, but they are very gritty. If we can keep the game at a good pace I think we win fairly easily. If they are able to slow it down and grind it could be very tough. Would like us to press, but I donʻt know about the energy level.

As far as jitters, it seems like poor shooting early vs CMU - too many 3s in a big new arena is generally not a recipe for success. there were also jitters late at the free throw line. for those who have played the game know, when you are scared at the line your shot is almost always short (Dennis and Rollins late FTs-guys that almost never doink a FT off the front rim)."