Zips MAC Tournament- 2022

11 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Anybody else really excited when Tribble hit his 3 pointer and then a little concerned when he took two more? Ha!! I believe he will continue to get better as time goes on.

I continue to marvel at how Dawson, Tribble and Clarke elevated their games over the course of the season. Wynn’s contributions also grew. The 60 game-minutes we lost when Trimble and Walton departed were never missed. 

1 minute ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I continue to marvel at how Dawson, Tribble and Clarke elevated their games over the course of the season. Wynn’s contributions also grew. The 60 game-minutes we lost when Trimble and Walton departed were never missed. 

I'm going to add to your good point. Due to Covid shortening and tightening our schedule, the staff had fewer windows than usual in which to make adjustments along the way.

Not much else to say about last night and this season. Incredibly proud of this team. Staff and players both did an amazing job handling adversity. It feels like not only the basketball program, but the University itself got the monkey off its back last night. Its been too long, but the future is bright at Akron!

Buffalo, Toledo, and Kent to go dancing. Incredible on its own, but this is John Groce...we aren't done yet!!

And whenever this journey does end...we get the same team back next year with an offseason to develop and more scholarship players coming to boot!

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I could not be more proud of how this group represented the University of Akron.  This thing that makes me so proud is that this team did not do it with overwhelming talent but did it with overwhelming effort. I will always think of this squad's guile and determination when I see that banner in the rafters. I am by no means saying that group is unskilled but the difference maker was the team's determination.

Kudos to the coaching staff for getting those kids to buy into the system and give that effort. That type of basketball is not easy to play.

I will get up a thread for the first NCAA tournament game as soon as an opponent is announced.

We have arrived ... T-E-A-M-I-S-M.

Edited by GoZips88

Reading the KSucks message board this lazy Sunday while I wait for the selection show. Comments are all over the place, but they mention us, as Akron fans, throwing ice cubes at players and blowing whistles during play. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Another item re the video even though the suspension didn't really make a difference considering the final outcome - I do wonder how it got out there. The first place I noticed it was the Zips_United twitter account, but don't know if he grabbed it elsewhere or what. Regardless, all of this just adds to the rivalry and I love it.

28 minutes ago, a-zip said:

I am so impressed with Enrique Freeman.  Non stop motor, inspirational play, well spoken, classy.  One of my favorite Zip Bball players ever.  And he is only a Sophomore!!

From walk-on to walking away with a championship and MVP. Unbelievable. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Reading the KSucks message board this lazy Sunday while I wait for the selection show. Comments are all over the place, but they mention us, as Akron fans, throwing ice cubes at players and blowing whistles during play. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Another item re the video even though the suspension didn't really make a difference considering the final outcome - I do wonder how it got out there. The first place I noticed it was the Zips_United twitter account, but don't know if he grabbed it elsewhere or what. Regardless, all of this just adds to the rivalry and I love it.

I was going to make a comment about their board, but refrained to keep the focus on Akron. But since you bring it up...

The only place I've heard of such allegations against our fans is on their board. I might recall hearing something about a whistle being blown, but I really don't remember the specifics. I have heard our students have used all sorts of language against KSUcks players, and while I believe some of it should be cleaned up, it's still on KSUcks to have the discipline not to react how they do. 

I would imagine the Snapchat networks of these athletes are not small by any means. Only being 14 miles apart, the two circles are all but guaranteed to cross at some point. That's a quick & easy screen grab, and boom, it's out there. I laughed at their worries the Snapchat account was "hacked". 

Furthering their delusional discussion on the game, did anyone else think Akron played one of the cleanest basketball games they've ever seen? We had 7 team fouls, and while I would normally agree with KSUcks claims that only 7 team fouls is extremely suspect, during & rewatching the game I only saw maybe 2 more fouls on Akron that could've been called? Jacobs' absence was largely a non-factor. Akron shot 52.6% from 3 and 52.1% from the field. PCCC was not beating that type of efficiency, no matter who played the full game or how many fouls were called. 

They got their butts whooped, and are having a hard time accepting that. They can hug their Pinky & bird-with-teeth plushes and rock back & forth in a corner with rage while Akron finds out where we'll be dancing here in a couple of hours.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

All during the tournament, this team kept its cool and never got rattled.  Last night when Kent pulled within a point, Clark hit a tough 3 followed by an X three.  The lead was back up to 7 and the next thing you knew it was up to double digits.  Ironic, last time we won the tourney, we beat Kent and our center Zeke had a great game and was named tourney MVP and this year we beat Kent and it was our center, Freeman who was named MVP.

I know this will not be popular but give credit to Kent, after the game they got in line to shake hands and they displayed good sportsmanship after the loss.  The coaching staff shook hand with the Kent players while our guys were celebrating.  Hopefully, the phone incident will be a learning experience.

Speaking of learning experience, I watched Carrie closely during the Ohio game and he is a good player.  However, he does that dance frequently when he makes a 3.  Also, his pregame routine of rubbing his back against the support of the basket and his other antics bring attention to him.  When your team is winning, that is great but when your team is losing and you have 6 points and 9 turnovers it just makes you look foolish.  Also, your league MVP loses a lot of its value when you have a terrible game in the tournament championship.  Humility is not a bad thing even if you are a talented player. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Ironic, last time we won the tourney, we beat Kent and our center Zeke had a great game and was named tourney MVP and this year we beat Kent and it was our center, Freeman who was named MVP.

The last time we won the tourney it was over Ohio (2013).  The victory over Kent was 2011 - but still a good comparison.