2022 Big Dance Bracketology

ZippyRulz

40 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Would it really have upset the the delicate balance of the bracket if the Zips played Providence in Buffalo and S Dakota State played UCLA?

Other than SDState has the better resume than Akron.

Zips play at 9.50pm.

SD State plays at 12:40pm

12 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Would it really have upset the the delicate balance of the bracket if the Zips played Providence in Buffalo and S Dakota State played UCLA?

Having beaten any one of Fordham, Appalachian State, WMU, or NIU AT HOME certainly would have helped the committee see this differently. Gotta win games against weak competition, especially on your own court.

Great season overall though, and there's no reason we can't win a game or two in Portland. Buffalo would have been much more convenient for traveling fans, but are you really surprised we play at 10PM EST in Portland?!

Edited by UAZipster0305

13 hours ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Game is @ 9:50pm on TBS

rush the court posted the start times 

I'll be home from work by then. Unless there's one more Snowmageddon this winter. 🌨️

2 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Having beaten any one of Fordham, Appalachian State, WMU, or NIU AT HOME certainly would have helped the committee see this differently. Gotta win games against weak competition, especially on your own court.

Great season overall though, and there's no reason we can't win a game or two in Portland. Buffalo would have been much more convenient for traveling fans, but are you really surprised we play at 10PM EST in Portland?!

Who knows if we even make the tournament had we beaten those teams. Those losses led to Trimble and Walton leaving. The team jelled after those departures. I do agree in a normal year we need to beat those teams, but this year I think we needed to hit rock bottom in order for us to achieve what we did.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Who knows if we even make the tournament had we beaten those teams. Those losses led to Trimble and Walton leaving. The team jelled after those departures. I do agree in a normal year we need to beat those teams, but this year I think we needed to hit rock bottom in order for us to achieve what we did.

Agreed. The stars have aligned in such a strange way. With 350+ programs I obviously know little of college basketball history in the grand scheme of things, but where else has a team ever gotten so much better after losing players of those caliber? I’d be surprised if that list included more than just a few. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Agreed. The stars have aligned in such a strange way. With 350+ programs I obviously know little of college basketball history in the grand scheme of things, but where else has a team ever gotten so much better after losing players of those caliber? I’d be surprised if that list included more than just a few. 

I heartily agree with this and with kreed5120's original point.  I might add however that the lopsided win at BG may have delayed the 2nd exodus.  It was obvious Groce wanted to be as patient as possible during the middle part of the season waiting for Trimble to break out of his slump.  When Bryan caught fire with that unreal 33 point explosion of threes, it briefly APPEARED as though coach's patience was being rewarded.  In retrospect, it turned out to be mere fool's gold.  In my view, that makes the late season coming together even that more remarkable - it had to happen over such a compressed time period.  It's extremely impressive no matter how you look at it.

5 hours ago, johnnyzip84 said:

I heartily agree with this and with kreed5120's original point.  I might add however that the lopsided win at BG may have delayed the 2nd exodus.  It was obvious Groce wanted to be as patient as possible during the middle part of the season waiting for Trimble to break out of his slump.  When Bryan caught fire with that unreal 33 point explosion of threes, it briefly APPEARED as though coach's patience was being rewarded.  In retrospect, it turned out to be mere fool's gold.  In my view, that makes the late season coming together even that more remarkable - it had to happen over such a compressed time period.  It's extremely impressive no matter how you look at it.

It is always good to hear from you JZ84.  Now, you have to get football tix and get back to tailgating in Lot 9.  I miss you and Keener at the football games.  Go Zips!!!

• Like 2

These are the rankings by the selection committee of every team in the field, and is used to determine seeding for the first round.  Since there are four regions, just count down each four spots in the ranking to see the seed levels.  ......

I just realized one thing from looking at the chart...Akron as a 13 seed should be ranked in the top 52...13x4.  Does anyone have time to compare the chart rankings to the actual seedings?  Something went wrong from mathematically. 🤔 lol

31 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

These are the rankings by the selection committee of every team in the field, and is used to determine seeding for the first round.  Since there are four regions, just count down each four spots in the ranking to see the seed levels.  ......

I just realized one thing from looking at the chart...Akron as a 13 seed should be ranked in the top 52...13x4.  Does anyone have time to compare the chart rankings to the actual seedings?  Something went wrong from mathematically. 🤔 lol

One play in game for 11 seeds and one for 12 seeds should be why they are 54.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Only in NCAA basketball can an East bracket game be played in Portland and a West bracket game be played in Buffalo.

Agreed.. I like the way it used to be before the “pod system”... at the very least I liked seeing teams in the same 1/8 of the bracket playing in the same place.  In our case Akron, UCLA, St Mary’s and Indiana all have to be there but in the old days the other four teams playing in that arena would have been on the bracket of whom you would have met in the Sweet Sixteen. Also the courts all looked different depending on where you were so it was easier to visualize who would play who the next weekend if they made it through this weekend without having to always refer back to the bracket

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:59 AM, UAZipster0305 said:

We are not a program that catches many breaks with respect to location or times in postseason basketball. I am not saying we should be, but I do get a little irritated when I see someone like Ohio State, who is not a top 4 seed, playing in Pittsburgh which is literally the closest venue to them that is hosting. I thought only top 4s were “protected”. That is why I am always saying there is a big difference between being a 12 and a 13.

At least the NCAA is not as bad as the NIT has been to us in the past with respect to times and locations. Playing at OSU when all our metrics were better and putting it on a Tuesday night after three brutal games in Cleveland the prior weekend while the Buckeyes had been off since the prior Wednesday was tough. Even worse was the  year we went to Philadelphia to play Temple in the NIT opening round on a Tuesday, we upset the Owls, and had to play in Omaha against Creighton, who had an opening round bye, in the first round 48 hours later.