NCAA Tournament- Game 1- UCLA

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Anything can happen, but I'm quite confident we don't lose by a margin of 46 points.

Portland on Thursday really just sucks. Just about any other combination and I probably could have made the game.

I'm in the same boat. Looks like we'll just have to make the Sweet 16 that way we can attend a game in Philly

Edited by kreed5120

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

was it 46?  yikes.

On Delta, for $1551 you can leave Cleveland at 7am Wednesday, switch in Minneapolis, and arrive in PDX by 6pm.  If you want to stay a few days, you can then catch the red eye back Sunday morning at 12.50am and be home by 10.30

🤢🤮

UCLA Starters against Arizona in the PAC-12 championship:

Myles Johnson- C- 6’10”- senior-  3.8 ppg,  5.7 rpg

Johnny Juzang- G- 6’7”- junior- 16 ppg, 4.6 rpg

Jaime Vasquez- G/F- 6’7’- junior- 14 ppg, 5.8 rpg

Jules Bernard- G- 6’7”- senior- 12.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg

Tyger Campbell- G- 5’11”- junior- 11.5 rpg, 1.5 rpg, 4.2 apg

UCLA finished No. 8 in the KenPom, No. 10 in the NET, No. 10 in the BPI, No. 10 in the RPI and No. 10 in the BARTHAG,  strength of record-  No. 15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

was it 46?  yikes.

On Delta, for $1551 you can leave Cleveland at 7am Wednesday, switch in Minneapolis, and arrive in PDX by 6pm.  If you want to stay a few days, you can then catch the red eye back Sunday morning at 12.50am and be home by 10.30

cheaper than driving!

This is unrelated to the tournament game but there's nowhere else really to post it.  Today's Beacon included a "Get to Know" article about GT-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/2022/03/07/staff-profile-meet-beacon-journal-george-thomas/6756017001/

The article made me appreciate him a little more, but one think jumped out at me-

The likelihood you will find me in an arena, stadium or other sporting venue is nil. Unless I have an interest in it for work, I won’t be watching it on TV. People are more apt to run into me at a movie theater or Playhouse Square for its Broadway Series productions.

It makes me wonder what a guy who apparently has such a disinterest in sports has the job of covering sports.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

UCLA finished No. 8 in the KenPom, No. 10 in the NET, No. 10 in the BPI, No. 10 in the RPI and No. 10 in the BARTHAG,  strength of record-  No. 15.

My worry was playing a team with multiple studs down low. This doesn't appear to be the case. We matchup okay height wise across the board except when two of Clarke, Tribble and X are on the floor together

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

This is unrelated to the tournament game but there's nowhere else really to post it.  Today's Beacon included a "Get to Know" article about GT-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/2022/03/07/staff-profile-meet-beacon-journal-george-thomas/6756017001/

The article made me appreciate him a little more, but one think jumped out at me-

The likelihood you will find me in an arena, stadium or other sporting venue is nil. Unless I have an interest in it for work, I won’t be watching it on TV. People are more apt to run into me at a movie theater or Playhouse Square for its Broadway Series productions.

It makes me wonder what a guy who apparently has such a disinterest in sports has the job of covering sports.  

I'd imagine covering the annual Nutcracker production doesn't provide enough to both put food on the table and allow him to enjoy Wicked. 

Why they haven't found a replacement for him? Pay, probably.

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Obviously he couldn't cut it as a critic

10 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So they don't have anyone averaging a double-double? Advantage Akron. 

• Thanks 1

You guys got screwed on location.  The selection committee does that to MAC teams cause we get no respect.  But, they figured you weren’t winning one game anyway.

And yes I’m a Toledo fan who is bitter about Friday night because my Rockets always choke in Cleveland.

Shock the world and beat the Bruins!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, msopher said:

You guys got screwed on location.  The selection committee does that to MAC teams cause we get no respect.  But, they figured you weren’t winning one game anyway.

And yes I’m a Toledo fan who is bitter about Friday night because my Rockets always choke in Cleveland.

Shock the world and beat the Bruins!

Thanks!!!  Good luck in the NIT

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

@Z.I.P. How much do you donate to the NCAA for them to send Akron closer to you? 

PDX is my third home, but as @Captain Kangaroo can confirm, the last time the Zips played there - 2009 vs Gonzaga - I wasn't able to attend either!  And this will be another missed opportunity as my cardiologist has me lined up for an operation that I scheduled back when the NCAA tournament was a pipe dream!  Mahalo to John Groce and the team for showing me not to count my chickens before they're hatched.  And now I have extra motivation to recover quickly!

• Like 2

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/2022-ncaa-tournament-bracket-reveal-live-reaction-instant-betting-analysis/amp

"Many people look at 13 seeds for a potential upset when filling out brackets. But look elsewhere in this matchup, as the Bruins should roll over Akron.

UCLA ranks eighth in the nation in efficiency rating, according to KenPom, yet it drew a four-seed due to a tough start in February.

The Zips largely flew under the radar in the MAC this season, but managed to run away with the conference tournament title game by 20 points over Kent State. Akron has an experienced head coach in John Groce, who will have his squad ready for the moment. Whether the Zips have the talent to compete with a blue blood in UCLA is another question.

Akron has four starters who average double-digits in scoring, but size is a major concern. The Zips have only two starters that stand over 6-foot-3, and only two players that stand at 6-foot-7.

They rank 252nd in the nation in average height, according to KenPom, and will need to try and slow down a UCLA offense that scored 55% of its points from 2-point territory.

This UCLA roster has experience in the tournament and will surely lean on that against Akron. The Bruins will likely be high double-digit favorites and should have no issue making it to the second round.

I’d look at playing the under, as this matchup will be played at one of the slowest tempos of the first round. Akron is likely looking to take the air out of the ball. 

Ignore the following quotes:

On 3/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, Z.I.P. said:

OMG!!!  THREE OVERTIMES!  😭

16 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Surprised I never heard anyone mention this but... "Do you know how hard it is to beat the same team three times in a row?"  😉

18 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

PDX is my third home, but as @Captain Kangaroo can confirm, the last time the Zips played there - 2009 vs Gonzaga - I wasn't able to attend either!  And this will be another missed opportunity as my cardiologist has me lined up for an operation that I scheduled back when the NCAA tournament was a pipe dream!  Mahalo to John Groce and the team for showing me not to count my chickens before they're hatched.  And now I have extra motivation to recover quickly!

Take care of yourself @Z.I.P.  I wish you a speedy recovery. If Groce keeps to the current projectory you might actually see the Zips in the Maui Invitational in a few years. And you surely wouldn't want to miss that one. Go Zips!!

The location and Thursday is absolutely horrible.  But the Portland crowd will be cheering for the Zips over UCLA.  

A nicer blurb:

Akron

The champs of the MAC as a No. 4 seed. John Groce has been in this spot before. This is the third school he's brought to the NCAAs, joining Illinois and, before that, Ohio. In fact, in 2010, Groce led Ohio to the second round. Two years later, he had the Cinderella story of the 2012 tournament when Ohio made the Sweet 16. This year's Akron team will have a chance to steal a victory because it plays slow and gets to the foul line a lot. Name to know: Xavier Castaneda. A rock for this team.

Edited by NWAkron

25 minutes ago, Zips Win! said:

Screw everyone in the NCAA and the selection committee. I hope they all burn in hell, preferably today. 

I told my brother last night before the game the Zips we're a lock to win because Portland has games and the NCAA would send them there like they always do. 

Detroit was close and we know how that worked out.  

Chicago was the best location and weren't Zips a #15 seed?

Admittedly, Groce and the Kittens had a wonderful draw in 2012 but in 2010:

NCAA Tournament

Main article: 2010 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament

Georgetown's deep Big East Tournament run gave the Hoyas a 23–10 record and made the case for the team's inclusion in the 2010 NCAA Tournament. Georgetown was seeded third in the Midwest Regional in the Hoyas′ first appearance in the tournament since 2008. Observers considered the Hoyas a legitimate Final Four threat, and Georgetown was the heavy favorite in its first-round game against 14th-seeded Ohio, a team that had posted a losing regular-season record in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) but had earned a tournament berth by winning the MAC Tournament championship. The day before the game, John Thompson III said that the Hoyas were playing their best basketball of the season, but behind a 32-point effort by junior guard Armon Bassett, 23 points by freshman guard D. J. Cooper, and a strong team three-point shooting performance, the Bobcats jumped out to an early lead that Georgetown was never able to close. Ohio led 48–36 at halftime and by as many as 19 points in the second half, and a second-half Georgetown offensive surge got the Hoyas no closer than seven points despite Chris Wright's team-leading 28 points, Greg Monroe's double-double (19 points and 13 rebounds), and Hollis Thompson's 16-point performance. Ohio cruised to a shocking 97–83 upset victory, the first time the Bobcats had won an NCAA Tournament game since 1983,[52] and Georgetown's season came to a sudden and unexpected end.

• Like 3