NCAA Tournament- Game 1- UCLA

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

East Region and we have to travel to Portland on the west coast to play UCLA.  Looks like we got screwed big time.  I am good with the seed, but not the game location.   

I think I was the first Zip alumnus to say we got screwed with the location, but I am happy that there a lot of other alumni who feel the same way.  

I’m so pumped. Win or lose, this is going to be a fun week to be a Zip! Their hands are full, but this group seems to always give itself a chance, and their slow pace is an advantage, especially if they get hot from the perimeter again. 

I like our guys and I like our coach, you just never know what can happen. Why not us?? Go Zips!

3 hours ago, msopher said:

You guys got screwed on location.  The selection committee does that to MAC teams cause we get no respect.  But, they figured you weren’t winning one game anyway.

And yes I’m a Toledo fan who is bitter about Friday night because my Rockets always choke in Cleveland.

Shock the world and beat the Bruins!

Actually since they started the “pod system” in the NCAA tournament they have also stated that they want to protect the top four seeds in each region geographically as much as possible and plausible.

So, that means there is a significant and tangible difference between being a 12 seed and a 13 seed. The 4 gets a geographic benefit against the 13 and potentially the 5 seed in the second round. There is no mandatory effort however to give a geographic advantage to a 5 seed even against the 12.

So I don’t think it’s a case of the MAC getting screwed by where they choose to put the games unless the statement was meant to say the MAC gets screwed in seeding and then I tend to agree in most years.

Just got done watching ESPN's "Bracketology - Field of 136" Show

Everyone on the show has UCLA making it to the Elite Eight, with most picking UCLA to the Final Four. One said that he picked them to go to the Final Four because they were there last year and return everyone.  

Edited by mes102
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Everyone on the show has UCLA making it to the Elite Eight, with most picking UCLA to the Final Four. One said that he picked them to go to the Final Four because they were there last year and return everyone.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954082-2022-mens-ncaa-tournament-power-ranking-all-68-teams

This is a pretty good assessment of the situation.  They have UCLA at 13 and the Zips at 54 (the best 4 and the worst 13).  Apart from writing that Ohio would have a better chance than the Zips do, they seem to get it right.  Not expecting much Thursday but didn't expect much going into last Thursday either.  Segu's 3 pointer a little to the right and we would be packing for Daytona Beach.  Of course, a 3 pointer similar to Segu's saved Lamont Paris and his Mockingbirds.   the other 13s, Vermont, South Dakota, and UTC are clustered around the Zips but higher ranked.  All suffer from no quality wins.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954082-2022-mens-ncaa-tournament-power-ranking-all-68-teams

This is a pretty good assessment of the situation.  They have UCLA at 13 and the Zips at 54 (the best 4 and the worst 13).  Apart from writing that Ohio would have a better chance than the Zips do, they seem to get it right.  Not expecting much Thursday but didn't expect much going into last Thursday either.  Segu's 3 pointer a little to the right and we would be packing for Daytona Beach.  Of course, a 3 pointer similar to Segu's saved Lamont Paris and his Mockingbirds.   the other 13s, Vermont, South Dakota, and UTC are clustered around the Zips but higher ranked.  All suffer from no quality wins.

And I've heard those other three 13 seeds get at least some attention for potential upsets. I actually like the fact that no one is talking about Akron with an upset. 

4 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Take care of yourself @Z.I.P.  I wish you a speedy recovery. If Groce keeps to the current projectory you might actually see the Zips in the Maui Invitational in a few years. And you surely wouldn't want to miss that one. Go Zips!!

Have been waiting for that since 2001, when Bonzi Wells and his Ball State team finished Runner up.  BTW, they beat both Kansas AND...UCLA in that event!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Maui_Invitational_Tournament

Edited by Z.I.P.
year
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mes102 said:

So after we win a game or two this year and return everyone, will they say predict Akron to the Sweet Sixteen next year? Or is a previous season as irrelevant as Sincere Carry in a MAC Championship Game?

I like being heavily discounted by the media. We'll fly under the radar with no expectations. I have not seen UCLA play this year, but I've seen Akron play. The last team I saw commit to the defensive side of the ball like the Zips was Shaka's VCU squads. They branded and marketed themselves with their defense, so teams even knew it was coming and still couldn't handle the pressure. We play a half-court style of HAVOC, but don't tell the media that. I want everyone to be equally surprised when we shock the world.

Execute defensively, shoot 47% or better from the field & 38% or better from 3, and it will be a final-possession-type game at the very least.

Let's Go Zips.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

Can't link it here, but on the CBS sports app they have their analysis of the game and one of the analysts thinks the line is way too high at 14 and should be 8.5-9.5, and in speaking of the Zips, said we have 2 NBA players in Ali Ali and Freeman, who he said is the second best rebounder in the country! 

The host is from Kent and a KSU fan and said he hopes the Zips win for the MAC to which the aforementioned analyst said we have no chance. But still, this is not the first time I've heard Ali talked about as an NBA prospect. I can't remember anyone since Zeke who was ever an NBA prospect and even he was always a long shot. 

I'm torn because I think UCLA is a terrible matchup for us, but our play has been on another level these last 8 games so I think we have as good a shot as I can ever remember of winning an NCAA tourney game. Thursday can't come soon enough! Go Zips! 

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Selfishly love the 9:50pm start time, as I'll be able to watch it. 

Selfishly kinda don't like it, BUT oh well, it's one night. It's all about the Zips for me, so sleep can wait!! Plus, I don't want to be the person who says they didn't get to see the Zips upset UCLA because they went to bed. No way lol. 

10 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Can't link it here, but on the CBS sports app they have their analysis of the game and one of the analysts thinks the line is way too high at 14 and should be 8.5-9.5, and in speaking of the Zips, said we have 2 NBA players in Ali Ali and Freeman, who he said is the second best rebounder in the country! 

The host is from Kent and a KSU fan and said he hopes the Zips win for the MAC to which the aforementioned analyst said we have no chance. But still, this is not the first time I've heard Ali talked about as an NBA prospect. I can't remember anyone since Zeke who was ever an NBA prospect and even he was always a long shot. 

Pretty sure that was Tim Doyle

33 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

I'm torn because I think UCLA is a terrible matchup for us, but our play has been on another level these last 8 games so I think we have as good a shot as I can ever remember of winning an NCAA tourney game. Thursday can't come soon enough! Go Zips! 

I don't think Ali is one right now, but being an athletic 6'8 wing who can guard multiple positions and can knock down 3's does fit what's in demand for the NBA. He's improved a ton since his freshman year and still is only classified as a sophomore so he still has more time to develop his game. I still think it's vastly more likely he will end up in Europe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bUAkronG said:

There's a reason that's the first time you've heard it.  Don't get me wrong, I like Ali, but an NBA prospect would dominate the MAC in his third year not just be a nice player.  He has a future in basketball but it won't be in the NBA.

He certainly could have a shot if he stayed the full final two years and committed his whole life to it. His ball-handling is decent but has a long way to go to get to that level, and he needs to add another 25lb of muscle to even have a prayer. At this point, he needs to block out all of that noise and continue to be an "NBA All-star in his role" for this program. That has landed Cheese, X-Williams, and LCJ some nice overseas careers so far.

He's got the frame and athleticism. Agree on adding weight and improving ball handling skills/decision making. I'd probably throw in that I'd like him to be more aggressive as well. He is prone to some unique decisions (which IMO mostly stems from indecisiveness). FWIW - I don't remember anyone talking about Preston prior to the year he left and I barely even remember Richaun Holmes at BG, but looking at stats, he really didn't even break out til his senior year.

Ali's size, athleticism, shooting efficiency, ability to create, and ability to hit LBJ-type turnaround fadeaway shots gives me the thought, but then again I thought Zeke was a near lock to have an NBA career so...

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LZIp said:

He's got the frame and athleticism. Agree on adding weight and improving ball handling skills/decision making. I'd probably throw in that I'd like him to be more aggressive as well. He is prone to some unique decisions (which IMO mostly stems from indecisiveness). FWIW - I don't remember anyone talking about Preston prior to the year he left and I barely even remember Richaun Holmes at BG, but looking at stats, he really didn't even break out til his senior year.

Ali's size, athleticism, shooting efficiency, ability to create, and ability to hit LBJ-type turnaround fadeaway shots gives me the thought, but then again I thought Zeke was a near lock to have an NBA career so...

Zeke's problem is the NBA changed in what it was looking for in a big. Big these days are asked more to be able to make mid-range and even 3 balls. There aren't many traditional centers in the NBA these days and to be one you have to be the elite of the elite.

58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Ali's got the tools, but he would need to make some strides over the next year or two.

Whether he makes it or not, it's nice to be able to have the discussion.