NCAA Tournament- Game 1- UCLA

3 minutes ago, LAZipFan said:

And though I know it's not a popular opinion here, I like the script Akron.  I want people to know where this team is from.  

I have to admit it’s growing on me. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If this is true, that's grounds for an investigation and formal protest. What horse 💩.

Groce told the team if they did not have numbers that the team was going to call timeout.  Groce was watching Ali while he was trying to call time out.  He should have gotten in the refs face.  Instead he had his eyes on Ali while he was calling time out.  Once Ali made his move to the basket there is no way the ref was going to call timeout.  We needed to play a perfect game to beat UCLA and the last 5 minutes was anything but perfect.  Once again we just could not pull off the upset.  On the replay there is no question Wynn was wide open for the three.  Just like the Kent game at he jar, we should have passed to the open player.

• Like 1

The last four minutes leave a bad taste in my mouth for all the stated reasons, but hold your heads high Akron. To the average viewer, we controlled most of the game and looked more like a team destined for the final four. Not UCLA. We will be back with a bigger and better posey. The future is bright!!

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Groce told the team if they did not have numbers that the team was going to call timeout.  Groce was watching Ali while he was trying to call time out.  He should have gotten in the refs face.  Instead he had his eyes on Ali while he was calling time out.  Once Ali made his move to the basket there is no way the ref was going to call timeout.  We needed to play a perfect game to beat UCLA and the last 5 minutes was anything but perfect.  Once again we just could not pull off the upset.  On the replay there is no question Wynn was wide open for the three.  Just like the Kent game at he jar, we should have passed to the open player.

I rewatched the video and that's exactly what happened. They even have a close up of him saying time out and reacting to not getting it. Needed to call it sooner. I really don't have much confidence in Wynn hitting a three pointer there, he barely hit the rim earlier on a similar shot, but who knows?

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

75% chance to win or whatever that espn stat tracker was

Exactly why I never trust that crap. analytics can kiss my ass 

Apparently the tracker did not see the OSU game lol. 

Yeah we are all tired of the moral victories but hey, I'm so glad our Kangaroos showed up and played pretty darn well on the big stage. 

Excited for next year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fell asleep during the final 10 mins. Super bummed. 😢

I know everyone doesn't want moral victories...blah blah blah...but that's the best performance of a Zips' team in the tourney yeah? And this team looked just as much of a competitor as any game I've watched in the Tourney. But I do not at all feel bad about this loss. Luckily, I didn't have to watch the apparent disastrous officiating at the ending the game. 🤣

We get everyone back next year right? Yikes...all I can say is watch out. 

6 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Campbell’s hail mary three-pointer from almost half court as the shot clock went down was a dagger.  That was some of the best defense I have ever seen.

Never should have been able to even shoot the ball. X was thrown into the stands by 24 before he passed it. 

7 hours ago, LAZipFan said:

And though I know it's not a popular opinion here, I like the script Akron.  I want people to know where this team is from.  

I like the script Akron too.  It's my understanding the U is just working on a new primary logo.  The Script Akron is a bit too generic for that prominent marketing position b/c it's a font anyone can grab off the Nike website. I can't imagine them completely doing away with the Script Akron - especially on basketball and baseball jerseys.  it's classic and traditional.

For that matter, I can't see them completely doing away with the Z either.  IMO the Z is literally one of the coolest logos in college athletics.  Young people seem to agree with me, and at the end of the day that is probably what is most important.

I'm betting my $$$ that they're simply working on a new "A" logo.

Anyway, back to basketball...

Am I remembering correctly? I don't believe I saw either Dawson or Ali come off a screen for a 3-pointer all last night.

Marla was live-tweeting during the game, which was nice.  The ABJ needs a reporter to do that at every Zips game.  We are a D-1 university, after all.