NCAA Tournament- Game 1- UCLA

I'm certainly not as sanguine as @LoyalZip.  I find myself whistling past the graveyard, hoping for a good outcome.

If the Zips were playing Bryant or Corpus Christi I would be much more bullish.   When Ohio U played Georgetown in 2010, they were a 14th seed in Providence and the opponent Georgetown had a history of bungling in March Madness. 

What I immediately noticed in Cleveland while the Zips were warming up for the Buffalo game was that they were making 3s during the shoot around.  That carried through the tournament.  Zips have also played well on the road this year.  If they can come out and be patient, take good shots, and make some early 3s they have an opportunity. 

I don't think Groce and Company expected to go this year.  Next year seems like the year to make a run if he can find a versatile non-head case forward in the transfer portal.

Will be incredible for America to wake up tomorrow morning and learn of the late night upset powered by a walk-on.

And BTW, I love the grind it out offense the Zips use:

Akron Zips vs. UCLA Bruins Prediction: NCAA Tournament First Round Preview

Kyle Kensing - Yesterday 9:00 PM

Keys for Akron 

Akron's late-season run included outputs of 82 and 91 points in wins over Bowling Green and Ohio, but make no mistake: The Zips can and will grind the tempo way down. Their possessions last more than 19 seconds per KenPom.com, one of the longest such averages in the nation and the catalyst of the slowest tempo among all 68 teams to make this Tournament.

Creating long, frustrating defensive possessions could be critical for Akron. And, compounding the prospects for an irritated UCLA defense is the team's ability to get to the foul line. The Zips rank fifth among all Div. I programs in free throws attempted per field-goal attempts. Almost 21 percent of their points come at the charity stripe, and UCLA is coming off a Pac-12 Tournament championship game loss to Arizona in which foul trouble played a critical part.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Keys for Akron 

Akron's late-season run included outputs of 82 and 91 points in wins over Bowling Green and Ohio, but make no mistake: The Zips can and will grind the tempo way down. Their possessions last more than 19 seconds per KenPom.com, one of the longest such averages in the nation and the catalyst of the slowest tempo among all 68 teams to make this Tournament.

Creating long, frustrating defensive possessions could be critical for Akron. And, compounding the prospects for an irritated UCLA defense is the team's ability to get to the foul line. The Zips rank fifth among all Div. I programs in free throws attempted per field-goal attempts. Almost 21 percent of their points come at the charity stripe, and UCLA is coming off a Pac-12 Tournament championship game loss to Arizona in which foul trouble played a critical part.

The way they play, it doesn't even feel like a grind it out offense. It's methodical and fluid. 

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Keys for Akron 

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Keys for Akron 

I like your post, but you lost me with "catalyst of the slowest tempo". Catalyst is a noun; what did you really mean?

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The way they play, it doesn't even feel like a grind it out offense. It's methodical and fluid. 

It doesn't.  It has never felt like we're just milking clock (except, of course, at the end of the KSUcks game when we actually were intentionally milking clock).  We do a great job of working the ball around for a good shot & making the D maintain intensity for the entire 35 seconds.  That can be both exhausting and demoralizing for a defense.

Not to create a rabbit trail (I was going to wait until our season is finished to bring this up) but I do hope that next year, after adding two-to-four guards, I hope we run out and attempt the fast break when we get a rebound to try and get an easy shot before the defense sets up and to use our depth to our advantage.  If there's no easy shot to be had on the fast break, we can always pull the ball out and set up our more methodical half-court offense.  

I certainly love winning... but I'd prefer to not become known for a "slow" offense. 

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

From the ActionNetwork betting site I frequent:

"Akron vs. UCLA -13.5  |  O/U: 128.5 

This is too many points for what should be a low-possession game. The Zips also have bodies inside capable of hanging with the UCLA interior. If the Akron 3s aren’t falling, it could get ugly, However, if they are falling, this could be an upset nobody sees coming.

Verdict: Akron +14.5"

Feel like that could be said about any team though. Hey, if they hit a lot of 3's they could pull an upset. Well duh? Still positive though. I never bet money on any of my teams, because I feel like I'm going to jinx it. Might have to today though just to make it interesting.

Also saw this:

Wish they could have picked another day, but oh well. Maybe he'll get really cocky and overlook the Zips. 

Edited by akzipper

10 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

It doesn't.  It never has felt like we're just milking clock (except, of course, at the end of the KSUcks game when we actually were intentionally milking clock).  We do a great job of working the ball around for a good shot & making the D maintain intensity for the entire 35 seconds.  That can be both exhausting and demoralizing for a defense.

Not to create a rabbit trail (I was going to wait until our season is finished to bring this up) but I do hope that next year, after adding two-to-four guards, I hope we run out and attempt the fast break when we get a rebound to try and get an easy shot before the defense sets up and to use our depth to our advantage.  If there's no easy shot to be had on the fast break, we can always pull the ball out and set up our more methodical half-court offense.  

I certainly love winning... but I'd prefer to not become known for a "slow" offense. 

The offense playing this well at this pace is absolutely incredible and is a testament to how good of a coaching staff we have. The Zips’ pace numbers are significantly quicker over the first few Groce seasons. But if this team tried to play at those paces, they would’ve been much closer to .500 in MAC play and wouldn’t have made it to the title game most likely. You have to do what you need to do to give yourself the best chance, whether it’s the way you predicted or wanted to do it or not 

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

The offense playing this well at this pace is absolutely incredible and is a testament to how good of a coaching staff we have. The Zips’ pace numbers are significantly quicker over the first few Groce seasons. But if this team tried to play at those paces, they would’ve been much closer to .500 in MAC play and wouldn’t have made it to the title game most likely. You have to do what you need to do to give yourself the best chance, whether it’s the way you predicted or wanted to do it or not 

Yep. This style is not typical of Groce.  He's adapted his style to suit his team on the floor.  Great coaching; not trying to pound a square peg through a round hole.

Impressive that he's been so adept at coaching the half-court game when most of his teams seem to typically run & gun.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Surprised the Zips weren't in the bottom ten of watchable games.

19. (4) UCLA vs. (13) Akron

Thursday | 9:50 p.m. | TBS
Akron began the season with a one-point loss at Ohio State, and it would have won if not for a buzzer-beater from Zed Key. The Zips are legit and will have no issue playing at UCLA's methodical pace. The Bruins have become accustomed to being the hunters in March, but this is a potential upset to watch. Plus, there's this added storyline: UCLA coach Mick Cronin and Akron coach John Groce go way back, as Cronin explained this week.

3 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I'm sure it works for some, but it would make more sense to have the "official" party more centrally located. I guess the gametime is too late for the JAR? I did enjoy watching the soccer championship there. Have fun if you go.

Too many staffing issues for that to happen.

Our nightmare is that the game is played at UCLA's pace and Freeman gets in foul trouble.  I like Aziz but I fear he is not ready for prime time.

I've always liked Cronin.  Seems like a solid guy and coach.  I loved his reaction when his Cinci team got into a fight with Xavier years back.

30 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yup. Everyone’s in Portland, as they should be. A JAR watch party would be nice, but those folks all deserved to go and be with them at this special time. 

If you guys say so, but it's a campus with dozens of buildings they could pull staff from and spring break isn't until next week so somebody is running the JAR.