MAC Postseason Discussion

10 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I thought they may take one other MAC team in the NIT.  Kent did not help itself by losing to us by 20.  

Nor by having 4 players suspended during the MACC. That was in the NCAAM news headlines all day yesterday. And there are already 4 other Ohio teams in the NIT.

Ohio will be in the 16 team CBI tournament. They will play Rice in the first round. All games will be played in Daytona Beach during the days of March 19th thru March 23rd.

I actually think that's an improvement from the old campus format. Gives the snow birds a chance to watch and who wouldn't enjoy a mini Florida vacation in mid-March?

https://www.gazellegroup.com/main/cbi/schedule-2/

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Ohio will be in the 16 team CBI tournament. They will play Rice in the first round. All games will be played in Daytona Beach during the days of March 19th thru March 23rd.

I actually think that's an improvement from the old campus format. Gives the snow birds a chance to watch and who wouldn't enjoy a mini Florida vacation in mid-March?

FloHoops is streaming the first couple of rounds. That's not a cheap stream. 

2 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I cancelled right after the tournament and they charged me 2 extra months indicating I did not cancel.  I am disputing it with my credit card company.

I’ve decided to use a prepaid visa with just enough money on it to cover the first months subscription next time I subscribe to a site like this for that very reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Toledo should have been a 5th or 6th seed IMO. I wonder if they opted for the lower seed knowing they would get a home game?

I noticed that the NIT was only seeding teams 1 thru 4 in the four quadrants of their tournament and then largely pairing the remaining half of the teams by geographic proximity. I am not a fan of that change.

Last time the Zips were in the NIT they were a 7 seed and knocked off the 2 seed. If it were this year’s format that game doesn’t likely happen. Also that year the 6th seed in the quad of the NIT upset the 3 seed so the Zips played at UT-Arlington in the second round... I feel like without seeds when a double upset like that happens they will just award the home game to the bigger arena if there is no firm seeding... this is a disadvantage to Akron and similar schools.

As it stands now I would prefer a berth in the newly rebranded “The College Basketball Classic” since it allows a team to experience Homs and away environments and has one more round of competition.

What I would love to see from the new TBC is an idea I stole from the old Bracketbusters event, if a team hosts a game in the tournament they should be contractually obligated to make a future visit to the other team’s venue in a future season. This would help, albeit on a small way, with mid-major quality opponent scheduling

Edited by GJGood

52 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I disagree on the format. I loved the way the CBI was formatted previously. The best of three final guaranteeing both programs a home game was great.

The very least the CBI should do now if they insist on a single venue neutral site is make it like an early season tournament format and have a guaranteed minimum number of games for each team with consolation rounds. I mean all the teams and fanbases are there anyway, so why not? It certainly would intrigue more teams given the extra chance to develop against quality competition

21 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I disagree on the format. I loved the way the CBI was formatted previously. The best of three final guaranteeing both programs a home game was great.

The very least the CBI should do now if they insist on a single venue neutral site is make it like an early season tournament format and have a guaranteed minimum number of games for each team with consolation rounds. I mean all the teams and fanbases are there anyway, so why not? It certainly would intrigue more teams given the extra chance to develop against quality competition

To host one of those games under the old format costed the home team something like 50-75k per home game. Home teams weren't generating anywhere near that type of revenue before so they had to eat huge losses to host games. It made many schools just opt out of participating altogether. I don't know what the costs are now, but I'd imagine it will be less since teams no longer have to fly to multiple locations over the course of several weeks.

I do like your idea of consolation games.

Edited by kreed5120

1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

To host one of those games under the old format costed the home team something like 50-75k per home game. Home teams weren't generating anywhere near that type of revenue before so they had to eat huge losses to host games. It made many schools just opt out of participating altogether. I don't know what the costs are now, but I'd imagine it will be less since teams no longer have to fly to multiple locations over the course of several weeks.

I do like your idea of consolidation games.

I understand a lot of people feel that way. I, however, am one who would travel the two hours to Akron from my home in Central Ohio to see the Zips but have no way to travel to Daytona Beach at spring break time.

I am also not a fan of the whole tournament being a total of four days long. Teams in the finals will be running on fumes. There should at least be a couple of days off in there for the teams.

Most of all I miss the home-and-home finals series though. I just found it so intriguing to see a school like Fresno State have to travel to Siena or the Nevada Wolfpack traveling to Kentucky to take on a Morehead State program that really has great difficulty getting any type of decent quality non-conference competition to come to their building.

Anyone else think Pinky's conversation with the MAC went something like this...

MAC: "This is a black-eye on the MAC, like your program has been for a while. We want discipline for the coaches and players."

Pinky: "How about this. I'll give you suspensions for 3 nobodies, and if we lose we won't accept a post-season tourney invite."

MAC: "Give us Jacobs for a half, too."

Pinky: "Fine... Deal."

Can't think of any other reason why KSUcks isn't in a post-season tourney.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Anyone else think Pinky's conversation with the MAC went something like this...

MAC: "This is a black-eye on the MAC, like your program has been for a while. We want discipline for the coaches and players."

Pinky: "How about this. I'll give you suspensions for 3 nobodies, and if we lose we won't accept a post-season tourney invite."

MAC: "Give us Jacobs for a half, too."

Pinky: "Fine... Deal."

Can't think of any other reason why KSUcks isn't in a post-season tourney.

They weren't good enough to make the NIT and weren't interested in playing in a pay to play 3rd rate tournament. A lot of schools reject playing in those tournaments for that same reason. I believe Akron turned down an invite in the 2014-2015 season. I imagine Buffalo was another who did the same this year as they were better than most teams who made those tournaments.

11 hours ago, GJGood said:

I understand a lot of people feel that way. I, however, am one who would travel the two hours to Akron from my home in Central Ohio to see the Zips but have no way to travel to Daytona Beach at spring break time.

I am also not a fan of the whole tournament being a total of four days long. Teams in the finals will be running on fumes. There should at least be a couple of days off in there for the teams.

Most of all I miss the home-and-home finals series though. I just found it so intriguing to see a school like Fresno State have to travel to Siena or the Nevada Wolfpack traveling to Kentucky to take on a Morehead State program that really has great difficulty getting any type of decent quality non-conference competition to come to their building.

In addition the new “The Basketball Classic” is televised on ESPN+ while the CBI first two rounds requires a subscription to FloHoops to watch via streaming. 

In my opinion what made the CBI superior to the old CiT is now gone. I get that the CBI is more advantageous financially but to me in the basketball environment and uniqueness way is has fallen to 4th place of the 4 postseason tournaments.

I hope the TBC takes the three game series finals idea and that the CBI adds consolation rounds. That would give each a more attractive calling card

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

In addition the new “The Basketball Classic” is televised on ESPN+ while the CBI first two rounds requires a subscription to FloHoops to watch via streaming. 

In my opinion what made the CBI superior to the old CiT is now gone. I get that the CBI is more advantageous financially but to me in the basketball environment and uniqueness way is has fallen to 4th place of the 4 postseason tournaments.

I hope the TBC takes the three game series finals idea and that the CBI adds consolation rounds. That would give each a more attractive calling card

TBC is having trouble finding teams to fill the 32 team field. As of now there are only 17 confirmed participants and the games are supposed to start tomorrow. Many teams have turned down participating. 4 of those 17 agreeing to participate are low majors who have losing records. I doubt they find 32 teams to agree to participate and any new additions will likely be more low majors with losing records. 

You as a fan might like the TBC better, but it's clear the CBI is the higher caliber tournament based off the field of teams agreeing to participate. The average NET rating for a CBI participating school is 166. The average NET rating for TBC team currently sits at 204

Edited by kreed5120

On 3/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, kreed5120 said:

TBC is having trouble finding teams to fill the 32 team field. As of now there are only 17 confirmed participants and the games are supposed to start tomorrow. Many teams have turned down participating. 4 of those 17 agreeing to participate are low majors who have losing records. I doubt they find 32 teams to agree to participate and any new additions will likely be more low majors with losing records. 

You as a fan might like the TBC better, but it's clear the CBI is the higher caliber tournament based off the field of teams agreeing to participate. The average NET rating for a CBI participating school is 166. The average NET rating for TBC team currently sits at 204

I don’t disagree with the CBI being seen as higher caliber presently. The TBC, though, could improve its position relative to the CBI though as we move forward if they would be a little more forward thinking and come up with something g to make it unique. They already dropped what the CIT used to be when they said they would now welcome schools other than mid-majors. I think they should steal the CBI’s idea of a Finals Series. They already have the superior TV contract to the CBI.

The new TBC is an unknown and programs are skeptical. However, if these current formats hold for a couple of years I could see teams annually being CBI/TBC worthy and not wanting to just travel to the same site year after year like they would do with the CBI.

Maybe the CBI will revert to campus sites but I doubt it. It may be more plausible that their tournament changes locations from year to year. I think that would be a positive. Also, like I said before, it would seem a simple concept that they could add consolation games, that would be a move coaches trying to farther develop their teams would love. It’s just that the idea of watching California Baptist play Boston University in Daytona Beach in no way sounds as exciting as watching that team the Zips just knocked off in Cleveland play in front of a true Southern Utah home crowd.