MAC Postseason Discussion

On 3/14/2022 at 6:49 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Anyone else think Pinky's conversation with the MAC went something like this...

MAC: "This is a black-eye on the MAC, like your program has been for a while. We want discipline for the coaches and players."

Pinky: "How about this. I'll give you suspensions for 3 nobodies, and if we lose we won't accept a post-season tourney invite."

MAC: "Give us Jacobs for a half, too."

Pinky: "Fine... Deal."

Can't think of any other reason why KSUcks isn't in a post-season tourney.

Pinky and the boys are playing at Southern Utah in the first round of the TBC.

3 hours ago, GJGood said:

I don’t disagree with the CBI being seen as higher caliber presently. The TBC, though, could improve its position relative to the CBI though as we move forward if they would be a little more forward thinking and come up with something g to make it unique. They already dropped what the CIT used to be when they said they would now welcome schools other than mid-majors. I think they should steal the CBI’s idea of a Finals Series. They already have the superior TV contract to the CBI.

The new TBC is an unknown and programs are skeptical. However, if these current formats hold for a couple of years I could see teams annually being CBI/TBC worthy and not wanting to just travel to the same site year after year like they would do with the CBI.

Maybe the CBI will revert to campus sites but I doubt it. It may be more plausible that their tournament changes locations from year to year. I think that would be a positive. Also, like I said before, it would seem a simple concept that they could add consolation games, that would be a move coaches trying to farther develop their teams would love. It’s just that the idea of watching California Baptist play Boston University in Daytona Beach in no way sounds as exciting as watching that team the Zips just knocked off in Cleveland play in front of a true Southern Utah home crowd.

I personally feel it's best that they're different. From what I heard the CBI has a 50k entry fee and that covers the cost for the entire tournament. That makes it much more attainable for many programs that can't afford to pay $50k per game, which gives teams a chance to have a postseason that otherwise would have just called it a season. Meanwhile, if you're a program that is well funded and want to give your fans more home teams you can opt for the TBC. 

The CBI having its semi-finals and finals on ESPN is already a huge plus over TBC as it will draw more viewers. It shouldn't be that hard for the CBI to get the earlier rounds on ESPN+. That IMO is the only negative.

Edit: think about it if you're trying to recruit what's more appealing telling an 18 year old that you went to Southern Utah or telling them that you went to Daytona Beach for spring break? 18-22 year old kids aren't going to get tired of that.

Edited by kreed5120

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I personally feel it's best that they're different. From what I heard the CBI has a 50k entry fee and that covers the cost for the entire tournament. That makes it much more attainable for many programs that can't afford to pay $50k per game, which gives teams a chance to have a postseason that otherwise would have just called it a season. Meanwhile, if you're a program that is well funded and want to give your fans more home teams you can opt for the TBC. 

The CBI having its semi-finals and finals on ESPN is already a huge plus over TBC as it will draw more viewers. It shouldn't be that hard for the CBI to get the earlier rounds on ESPN+. That IMO is the only negative.

Edit: think about it if you're trying to recruit what's more appealing telling an 18 year old that you went to Southern Utah or telling them that you went to Daytona Beach for spring break? 18-22 year old kids aren't going to get tired of that.

Again, I don’t disagree from a player perspective but I do believe fanbases, staff, and alumni groups would want some diversity.

The postseason tournament tidbit that bothers me the most this year involves the NIT. Why did they decide against seeding all the teams 1-8 in four quadrants and only go 1-4 and arrange the rest geographically? Toledo could have really gotten the shaft having to play a 1 seed when they clearly would not have been an 8 seed themselves. They were projected as a 5 or 6. The saving grace, in this instance, may be that Toledo actually gets to host top seeded Dayton due the First Four being in the Flyers arena.

But what happens in the case of two upsets in the same part of the bracket? Who hosts the next round? Why do I feel like this lack of seeing all the teams will punish the lesser name schools in favor of the bigger names?

Also, if Dayton not being able to host means Toledo does get to host then why was it the case that when Akron was in the NIT last time that the Zips played Houston at Texas Southern instead of in the JAR?

6 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Again, I don’t disagree from a player perspective but I do believe fanbases, staff, and alumni groups would want some diversity.

The postseason tournament tidbit that bothers me the most this year involves the NIT. Why did they decide against seeding all the teams 1-8 in four quadrants and only go 1-4 and arrange the rest geographically? Toledo could have really gotten the shaft having to play a 1 seed when they clearly would not have been an 8 seed themselves. They were projected as a 5 or 6. The saving grace, in this instance, may be that Toledo actually gets to host top seeded Dayton due the First Four being in the Flyers arena.

But what happens in the case of two upsets in the same part of the bracket? Who hosts the next round? Why do I feel like this lack of seeing all the teams will punish the lesser name schools in favor of the bigger names?

Also, if Dayton not being able to host means Toledo does get to host then why was it the case that when Akron was in the NIT last time that the Zips played Houston at Texas Southern instead of in the JAR?

Playing at Ohio State instead of the JAR keeps me up at night more than Houston. 

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Playing at Ohio State instead of the JAR keeps me up at night more than Houston. 

I agree with that... the added kicker to that one is even with the way the Zips got jobbed by being a 6 seed having to go to Columbus had they beaten the Buckeyes they actually would have hosted the Florida Gators in the next round due to their arena being renovated. I would have loved to see Florida in the JAR

28 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I agree with that... the added kicker to that one is even with the way the Zips got jobbed by being a 6 seed having to go to Columbus had they beaten the Buckeyes they actually would have hosted the Florida Gators in the next round due to their arena being renovated. I would have loved to see Florida in the JAR

Allegedly. Probably would've played at Florida A&M.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Yes, why the NIT did that is beyond me. It's one thing to maybe slide a 5 seed down to a 6 to create a regional matchup, but to have them play the top ranked team in the tournament is absurd. 

Holmes is absolutely owning them in the low post 10/15 from the field for 20 points. Toledo struggled with Freeman both games too as he was 6/6 in the championship game and was 7/8 from the field in the regular season. A game I feel we could have won had Freeman not gotten in foul trouble.

Hopefully they don't fix that problem this offseason otherwise they might actually be able to live up to expectations for once.

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Holmes is absolutely owning them in the low post 10/15 from the field for 20 points. Toledo struggled with Freeman both games too as he was 6/6 in the championship game and was 7/8 from the field in the regular season. A game I feel we could have won had Freeman not gotten in foul trouble.

Hopefully they don't fix that problem this offseason otherwise they might actually be able to live up to expectations for once.

Culture problem = Transfer Portal

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Carry’s 3-9 effort not enough to take down the school I am still not convinced actually exists. Season over. Poor Pinky. 

Southern Utah's uniforms, combined with the one player who wore them like bikini bottoms, were something straight out of Semi Pro mixed with a little Glory Road. "College of Southern Utah" - that has to be Utah's version of Bishop Sycamore. 

And KSUcks lost to them.

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

• Haha 2

Carry looked so disinterested. As if he was too good to be playing in that game. He transferred down from the A10, got hammered in the biggest game of his life, and just didn’t play hard tonight. He missed a 14-footer and sulked down the floor like his puppy died. Dude is a straight up loser. I can’t wait to play them again next year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Carry looked so disinterested. As if he was too good to be playing in that game. He transferred down from the A10, got hammered in the biggest game of his life, and just didn’t play hard tonight. He missed a 14-footer and sulked down the floor like his puppy died. Dude is a straight up loser. I can’t wait to play them again next year. 

We dodged a bullet. Huge thanks to his girlfriend for making the poor life decision of attending Can't State University.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Southern Utah's uniforms, combined with the one player who wore them like bikini bottoms, were something straight out of Semi Pro mixed with a little Glory Road. "College of Southern Utah" - that has to be Utah's version of Bishop Sycamore. 

And KSUcks lost to them.

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

I have loosely followed the Big Sky and SUU for a while now but I have no idea about the Thunderbirds uniforms tonight. I know it was to honor the 125th anniversary of the school but I am not sure if that powder blue was an original color or what.

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

💯 Already looking forward to it!

8 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I do think it likely lead to us going this year without a true point guard, but it’s working out alright anyway. 

It is. X has really come into his own and is playing at an exceptionally high level.  It looks like next year Clarke, Tavari, Kobe, and Nate can battle it out for backup PG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

PCCC fell to Southern Utah last night, 83-79.  Carry had another rough night scoring only 10 on 3 for 9 shooting.

Since the end of the regular season, he's scored 15 on 5 for 15 shooting, 16 on 6 for 18 shooting, 6 on 2 for 11 shooting and the aforementioned 10 on 3 for 9 shooting.

The 6 on 2 for 11 was my favorite. 😊