Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

39 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some scheduling info from this. We have Wright State, Marshall, and Cayman Islands so far for next year. I'd guess Wright State and Marshall locations flipped from 2021. In addition, the conference is going back to 18 game schedule so there will be 2 more non-conference games. Groce also said he likes to tailor the non conference schedule based on the team, so I would look forward to that generally being beefed up some.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Some scheduling info from this. We have Wright State, Marshall, and Cayman Islands so far for next year. I'd guess Wright State and Marshall locations flipped from 2021. In addition, the conference is going back to 18 game schedule so there will be 2 more non-conference games. Groce also said he likes to tailor the non conference schedule based on the team, so I would look forward to that generally being beefed up some.

I sometimes zip through these or skip parts as they are just reviews of things I have already seen but this one definitely had some good info in it.

1 minute ago, LZIp said:

I'd be ok with Marshall & Wright State being perennial opponents. 

Interested to see how Groce beefs the schedule up. I doubt Ohio State schedules us again after we gave them quite the scare (along with UCLA). I'd love to see Guthrie's Alma Mater (Syracuse) on the schedule, along with more A10 & Big East opponents due to geographical relevance. Pitt & West Virginia are always desirable matchups, and add Cincy to that as they prepare to join the Big 12. Mid Major wise, give me more OVC & MVC teams. 

• Like 1

the non-conference thing jogged my memory a bit - remember when we had a soft OOC sked this fall, because this was supposed to be a rebuilding team? A) good call, that probably helped us. B.) rebuild didn't take long C) I'd expect a much tougher OOC schedule next year

• Like 1

As someone who lives in Wilmington, NC, I'd selfishly love to see Akron schedule some teams near me. I'd love to see home and aways with UNCW (just won the CBI) and Coastal Carolina (playing in the championship game of the Basketball Classic this week). I'd also really love if they scheduled UNC, Duke, or NC State. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

https://overthepylon.boards.net/thread/4561/buffalo-meltdown

interesting thread from Muncie regarding Buffalo.  Remember, Segu's 3 pointer is a little to the right and ...  well, I don't want to think about it.

A lot of players "declare" for the draft even though they know they won't get drafted. It allows them to go to the combines and have scouts tell them what they need to work on. They then are allowed to rescind their declaration and return to college. There was a rule change that was put in place 3 or so years ago that allows for it.

I'd expect both Williams and Segu back at Buffalo next year.

Edited by kreed5120

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

A lot of players "declare" for the draft even though they know they won't get drafted. It allows them to go to the combines and have scouts tell them what they need to work on. They then are allowed to rescind their declaration and return to college. There was a rule change that was put in place 3 or so years ago that allows for it.

I'd expect both Williams and Segu back at Buffalo next year.

The Sac State board says they are foregoing their eligibility to play professionally. I take that as "If I don't make it to the NBA, I will have made enough connections throughout the process to play overseas."

Not sure why those two would return to the Titanic. What was once a great ship hired an iceberg as their head coach. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The Sac State board says they are foregoing their eligibility to play professionally. I take that as "If I don't make it to the NBA, I will have made enough connections throughout the process to play overseas."

Not sure why those two would return to the Titanic. What was once a great ship hired an iceberg as their head coach. 

It looks like both are planning to hire an agent so if that's the case then yes both will be gone. 

Feels like both Williams and Segu were there forever, so I don’t necessarily think them leaving is an indictment against the state of Buffalo’s program. I don’t know anything about the center. LCJ left with a year of eligibility and BVP is leaving OU a year after a NCAA tourney win. Sometimes it’s just time to move on whatever the reason may be.

With that said, Seems like Buffalo is due to take a big step down unless they hit on the transfer portal. None of their young players stuck out to me.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:31 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I think we need a JUCO small forward in the 6'6"-6'8" range.  We've got Wynn at 6'6" and Ali at 6'8", but other than that we're either guards or true post players.

We need another Marcel Boyce.

However, I do not think that the fans realize how good Freeman is.  He is a difference maker and I hope he does not transfer to a larger program.  He just needs to be able to not get into foul trouble and stay on the floor.