Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

Was curious, so I went through the verbal commits portal real quick and slapped together a very non-scientific analysis of the 117 listed transfers with new landing spots as of this morning.  Compared the conference prestige with old/new teams for the player.  If a conference was within +/- 5 ranking spots, the move was considered lateral.

61 (52.14%) moved down in D1 or to a lower level.

29 (24.79%) moved laterally, to a conference with similar prestige or within the same conference.

27 (23.08%) moved up a competition level or to a higher prestige conference in D1.

Moral of the story: Lots of movement still to happen, but if we see similar numbers to this I think a lot of kids will realize it's not worth starting over when they have a >75% chance of moving laterally or down in their final landing spot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Was curious, so I went through the verbal commits portal real quick and slapped together a very non-scientific analysis of the 117 listed transfers with new landing spots as of this morning.  Compared the conference prestige with old/new teams for the player.  If a conference was within +/- 5 ranking spots, the move was considered lateral.

61 (52.14%) moved down in D1 or to a lower level.

29 (24.79%) moved laterally, to a conference with similar prestige or within the same conference.

27 (23.08%) moved up a competition level or to a higher prestige conference in D1.

Moral of the story: Lots of movement still to happen, but if we see similar numbers to this I think a lot of kids will realize it's not worth starting over when they have a >75% chance of moving laterally or down in their final landing spot.

Exactly.  It is similar to the recruiting process where you have to wait to see how the top kids are going to pan out before the other kids settle into their new schools.

I did an informal study and found that 97.8% of college basketball players are unrealistic as to the level of their talent and the quality of schools that might want them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

If a conference was within +/- 5 ranking spots, the move was considered lateral.

1) My first thought was the +/- 5 spots was a bit misleading. When I looked at the conference standings, that thought was instantly corrected. There are some very clear conference tiers in college basketball. 

2) The Transfer Portal is a mess right now for 2 reasons.

- It's the new shiny toy that kids have to have/try. 

- The extra year of eligibility due to COVID really created a log jam in college athletics. 

These things will iron themselves out. Those stats are pretty telling of likely outcome for most players. Very curious to see what patterns continue to be created.

• Like 1

Ali has heard from a lot of P-6 schools.  Though Idk if that means they've offered.

You'll just have to trust me that this is not sour grapes, but, as I posted a week ago, I think he's going to regret leaving.  At Akron he's got a comfortable, familiar culture, great team chemistry, mastery of our offensive and defensive schemes, knows his role, has a spot in the starting 5, gets an abundance of PT, and has been granted an exceptionally long leash by the coaching staff.   Good luck finding that wherever the next stop may be.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Ali has heard from a lot of P-6 schools.  Though Idk if that means they've offered.

You'll just have to trust me that this is not sour grapes, but, as I posted a week ago, I think he's going to regret leaving.  At Akron he's got a comfortable, familiar culture, great team chemistry, mastery of our offensive and defensive schemes, knows his role, has a spot in the starting 5, gets an abundance of PT, and has been granted an exceptionally long leash by the coaching staff.   Good luck finding that wherever the next stop may be.  

B & G, you are spot on. Ali is a good talent , no doubt. At Akron he was under the protective arm of Groce who knew his strengths and weaknesses. Groce was addressing his areas for improvement while giving him lots of PT. He's not going to get that somewhere else. Your post captured reality. 

BTW, he was not offered before entering the transfer portal. That tampering which can get you heavy sanctions by the NCAA. No coach is going to risk it. 

• Like 1

About 260 uncommitted players on 247's (incomplete) transfer portal listing.  Not sure how close it is to complete, but it doesn't contain Trimble or Bandaogo.  Might be a while before this all shakes out...

1,097 uncommitted on VerbalCommits...so...yeah.  Seems like, at least for now, coaches will have new recruiting period.

Edited by RowdyZip
Added VerbalCommits total
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

About 260 uncommitted players on 247's (incomplete) transfer portal listing.  Not sure how close it is to complete, but it doesn't contain Trimble or Bandaogo.  Might be a while before this all shakes out...

1,097 uncommitted on VerbalCommits...so...yeah.  Seems like, at least for now, coaches will have new recruiting period.

Somewhere in there is a 17+ PPG player that we desperately need. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Whatever description they slot into, we need 17+ ppg. We need that guy that can take over a game consistently. 

Pretty hefty challenge because I don't know of a single program that would turn down a guy with these attributes.  

17 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Pretty hefty challenge because I don't know of a single program that would turn down a guy with these attributes.  

Guys who produced 17+ PPG previously aren't going to be heading to a mid major. However, guys who can produce 17+ PPG but were not given the chance due to system fit or lack of playing time, they would presumably be willing to come here. That guy is definitely one of the 1000+ transfers still available. 

Again, for as nice of a player Ali Ali was, he was only the leading scorer by .3 ppg on this team. He produced 2nd or 3rd man numbers. We desperately need that #1. 

Greg Tribble also retweeted Ali's announcement. So our guys are sticking with him which is nice to see.  They must understand the strictly business side of this better than I do.  I think I'd be miffed (like I am) that we had such a potentially strong, young nucleus ready to return & Ali blew it up.  Wouldn't you be upset at that if you were on the team?

Groce learned under Thad Matta, now Thad Matta is poaching a Groce player. 

Full circle?

Probably the best possible move for Ali aside from staying is going to play for someone that is probably very similar to Groce or at least has an open line of communication with Groce to understand Ali's game. 

• Like 2