Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

As I understand it May 1st is the deadline to enter the portal without having to sit out a year. This means we should theoretically be done seeing players transfer out. Groce now needs to work his magic and land us 2 forwards to fill out the roster.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Interesting that he's joining as asst head coach slotted above KD's old guard of Weigand, McFadden, etc.

Not that Dru isn't deserving, but KD historically hasn't shaken things up. Probably a last ditch effort for him to save his job as his contract is up after next season.

So, as the roster stands, we have two open spots right now?  We definitely need some length as now only Hunter and Enrique are >6'5".  This has turned into an entire new recruiting season for coaches.  I can't imagine many of them are too happy about it.

15 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Dambrot is already 63 and I've heard him say in past interviews that he doesn't plan to coach into his 70s. I'd be surprised if Dambrot is coaching in another 3-5 years regardless of the outcome of this next season.

I suspect last year took years off of his coaching career and life.

Probably not where this belongs, but didn't think it was worth it's own thread. It looks like it's being discussed to bring back a bracket busters type tournament in mid-February.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-bold-new-college-basketball-flex-scheduling-model-that-would-bring-big-nonconference-games-into-february/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Probably not where this belongs, but didn't think it was worth it's own thread. It looks like it's being discussed to bring back a bracket busters type tournament in mid-February.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-bold-new-college-basketball-flex-scheduling-model-that-would-bring-big-nonconference-games-into-february/

Really like the idea of this just like I did the Bracketbusters, especially like the guaranteed home game part

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

The Bracketbusters failed because 90% of the games -- the non-televised ones -- were meaningless.  It was great for those of us in the Top 10% though, and I can only hope the idea gains steam.

While I don’t disagree I guess I don’t understand how the games those non-televised teams played outside of the Bracketbusters were any more important.

The Bracketbusters also helped with future scheduling since there was always a return contract.

I loved bracket busters. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a key reason it went away was because of the higher mid majors with real at large chances were adding a coin flip game to their schedule and playing their way out of the tournament half the time. Makes me skeptical this will catch on..

7 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I loved bracket busters. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a key reason it went away was because of the higher mid majors with real at large chances were adding a coin flip game to their schedule and playing their way out of the tournament half the time. Makes me skeptical this will catch on..

You're right that's what started to make conferences like the A10 and MVC back out. The only thing that makes me hopeful that this goes through is that now even fewer at-large bids are going to mid-majors compared to even 10 years ago. With the latest round of realignment pretty much all mid-majors need more opportunities at getting Q1 and Q2 wins since programs like Butler, Xavier, and Wichita State all left their respective mid majors. That's not even getting into programs like Houston or Cincy (both strong basketball brands) leaving the AAC for the Big 12.