Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

20 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Emoni Bates would have went to the NBA this year if he was a one and done guy. Instead, he went to EMU. I think that tells the story

This brings me to a post I made on a similar thread.

What sparked the impetus for the change of scenery?

Regardless EMU will automatically become the powerhouse of the directionals but with what baggage 

57 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

This brings me to a post I made on a similar thread.

What sparked the impetus for the change of scenery?

Regardless EMU will automatically become the powerhouse of the directionals but with what baggage 

I watched a decent amount of Memphis hoops last year. He reclassified to start college early. He was a bit soft due to that. Also he has a lot of work to go on his jumper. He lost playing time and looked to transfer. Plenty of schools wanted him. I thought he was going to end up at Louisville personally. 

If he figures out his jump shot he's a pro. Think Felipe Lopez for an old school comp

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 1:52 AM, mrelegazna said:

Zips are apparently playing Mississippi State in...Philadelphia.

You figure it out.

https://bracketeer.org/nonconference/sec

Boom! Love it. Could this be part of a larger event in Philly, or an easy coast swing where we whoop some SEC butt on the way out or home?

EDIT: Looks like this could be it.

2022 The Barstool Classic at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA

Dates, teams and matchups are still TBD.

Good luck finding additional information. There's a Reddit thread about the tournament that contains zero useful information, and the rest of a Google search is the Barstool Classic Golf tournament. I'd imagine, however, that the field will be pretty decent. Already off to a good start with the inclusion of Akron. 😉

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Boom! Love it. Could this be part of a larger event in Philly, or an easy coast swing where we whoop some SEC butt on the way out or home?

EDIT: Looks like this could be it.

2022 The Barstool Classic at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA

Dates, teams and matchups are still TBD.

Good luck finding additional information. There's a Reddit thread about the tournament that contains zero useful information, and the rest of a Google search is the Barstool Classic Golf tournament. I'd imagine, however, that the field will be pretty decent. Already off to a good start with the inclusion of Akron. 😉

Oh gross, Barstool.  

Anyway, I first saw this on the indispensable Blogging The Bracket, who each year keeps studious track of all early tournaments and events.  They have this listed not under their tournaments section, but under their "2022-23 Men’s College Basketball Conference Challenges and Neutral-Site Games" section.

In other words (assuming that's correct), this is one of those showcases that include multiple games at one site, but it's not a tournament (not unlike the annual Akron/YSU/CSU/PCCC event that was recently scrapped, come to think of it). 

They have a second game listed now too: St. Bonaventure vs. UAB. 

Seems like they might've sold a few more tickets if they made it Akron vs. St. Bona and Mississippi State vs. UAB, but what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, zipsfan33 said:

When I go to look at the roster on Gozips it shows like 10 guys and 8 of them are guards.... please tell me they just haven't updated the website.  Anyone with knowledge please reach out.  Thanks!  Go Zips! 

They haven't added any of the incoming freshmen yet.  Have to wait for first day of classes to see who's registered.  But, as I've reported, the 21-22 redshirt freshmen are listed as Soph's rather than freshmen.  When do classes start?