Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

On 8/26/2022 at 11:23 AM, zippy5 said:

Dayton and Xavier are never coming to Akron lol

Sadly, you are correct.  It's not just the $ they are worried about losing.  None of the bigger programs want to risk losing to a mid-major on the mid's court.  Think about it, would you rather have a cupcake come to your arena (and keep the revenue) or travel to Akron to face a very good team in a bandbox gym.  Akron's long term success at home makes scheduling a nightmare.  Throwing 2 away games with a home game is not nearly enough to get it done.  

Edited by Zip JD
Grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Screenshot_20220914-200724_Facebook.jpg.9a3a230c054b052abfff1de8f60388b0.jpg

From Jon Rothstein's article on the 10 Mid-Majors to Watch

Akron: John Groce lost his top scorer — Ali Ali (Butler) — from last season’s team that nearly beat UCLA in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, but there’s still more than enough left over for the Zips to make a return trip in 2023. Akron’s two best players against the Bruins — Xavier Castaneda (13.6 points) and Enrique Freeman (13.2 points, 10.8 rebounds) — are back and so are juniors Greg Tribble and Mikal Dawson, who both started against UCLA. Northern Illinois transfer Trendon Hankerson (11.4 points) and Ole Miss transfer Sammy Hunter should both play key roles as newcomers. The MAC is as competitive of a mid-major league as there is in the country, but Groce has enough to get back to the NCAA Tournament next March.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Any more updates on how the team is looking/coming together/evolving? Player developments/stand outs? 

Any word on how Prince Monsego and Amani Lyles are looking as true freshmen?  Is Ryan Prather still impressing as a true frosh?  Are Nate Johnson & Kobe Mitchell coming along?  Oh, how about our new freshman PG from Chicago?  So many questions 😅

The only newcomers who will see any significant minutes are Hunter and Hankerson. The 2 bigs are both pretty raw but will be usefull on the practice court. Between Johnson and Mitchell I would wager Johnson has the best chance of seeing the court. Our freshman PG will need to hit the weights hard this season to get stronger. Prather is the only freshman who could see some PT. Strictly my opinion of course. 

Edited by Hilltopper
Added content
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

These 7 guys should dominate the minutes this year.

Freeman

Castaneda

Hankerson 

Hunter

Tribble 

Dawson

Clarke

All other PT will be based on foul trouble, injuries etc...

I just hope Mr Hankerson has a better attitude than K.J. Walton had!

46 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Okay Zips fans, who do you project as the starting five.  I've been disqualified from answering this question based upon my past projections for Taylor Currie. 

I had Taylor Currie on my Preseason 2nd-Team All-MAC squad 🤐

PG - X....................Clarke

G - Hankerson......Tribble

G - Dawson...........Prather

P - Hunter..............Mosengo

P - Freeman..........Lyles

Attention Mr. Hunter & Mr. Freeman: Please stay out of foul trouble.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I had Taylor Currie on my Preseason 2nd-Team All-MAC squad 🤐

PG - X....................Clarke

G - Hankerson......Tribble

G - Dawson...........Prather

P - Hunter..............Mosengo

P - Freeman..........Lyles

Attention Mr. Hunter & Mr. Freeman: Please stay out of foul trouble.

Just so many unknowns this year.

I could see Tribble possibly starting over Hankerson after his success in stepping in after Walton's meltdown last year.  I really like his energy off of the bench though (as I liked Dawson's).  

It 's going to be fun seeing how Groce puts this all together.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:58 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Okay Zips fans, who do you project as the starting five.  I've been disqualified from answering this question based upon my past projections for Taylor Currie. 

G: Clarke

G: X

G: Hank / maybe Dawson

F: Hunter

F: Freeman